Another no start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

broncocrawler

Reaction score
City, State
Truckee, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Bronco 2 87
My gf gf bought this used 2004 Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6l and in less than a week it's dead. She drive it to work and about 50 yards from her work it went low on power, started making a "clicking" noise (unfortunately I was not there to hear it) and died. Since then it will not restart.

A quick note, on our way back from a trip (from hell with this thing) the high temp low oil pressure light and oil pressure dummy guage did their thing. Truck seemed unaffected, running fine, no weird noises. I pulled over to investigate however. Found nothing, let it cool. Started again, made it home 100 miles no issues. Chalked it up to bad sensor.

Fast forward, been working on this thing for 3 days. Testing and replacing sensors. No codes were given (obd2) however onboard message center throws a code for oil pressure guage being faulty. Cool, that problem is hopefully resolved. Truck turns over but will not start. Injector pulse signals are present, fuel pressure is 35 improving to 45 when engine is cranked. Coil/plugs tested with COP tester and show spark. I replaced crank sensor and cam sensor for gits and shingles. Nothing. Tps tested fine on obd (completely electronic, shoot me). Cleaned tps and throttle body. Unplugged and tested MAF. Still, cranks but no start. Also, spraying starting fluid has no effect. Doing a compression test now. I am at a loss for why this dang thing won't run. This is why I prefer carbureted engines . This thing is driving me nuts!! Any help is appreciated.

2004 EB 4.6l
Auto
4x4

It does not sound like a fuel problem so I don't think a carburetor would have helped. Even though the COP's work on a tester doesn't mean they are firing when connected to the truck.

With the noise that occurred before it died I would think timing chains. You should see evidence of that when you do a compression test.

Back