Another transmission won't go after fluid change | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another transmission won't go after fluid change

She lives!

I put everything back together and refilled following the instructions given by CDW6212R on post #7 of this thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1731879&highlight=hatched#post1731879

Everything works fine. I'm going to let the dust settle a few days keeping a close eye on ATF level and checking carefully for leaks. Once my nerves settle I may go back in and do the valve body rebuild.

In retrospect it is probable that this entire thread is bogus, and that my only problem was insufficient fluid following the fluid exchange as suggested by the experts. The core cause of the low fluid level was probably just operator error rather than the pan gasket tear. Mind you, the pan gasket was a problem and I'm glad I went back and fixed it. But it probably wasn't actually leaking, and might not even have been torn until I took it out.

I ended up putting more than 5 quarts in this time, which is at least a quart more than expected for a pan drop and filter change. You'd think a dipstick would be a dead easy device to use but I really struggled. Every time I added fluid the next few pulls of the dipstick would come back up with fluid along the entire length of the dipstick. At some point last week I'm sure I drained a quart when I should have added one! CDW6212R's method worked for me today.

If you're reading this and wondering if you should do a full fluid exchange ('dialysis') or just a pan drop and filter change: I don't think this thread will help you decide. I don't think it offers any useful insight on either side of the debate. Yes, I ran into trouble after the exchange, but I don't think there's any evidence that the exchange was the cause - it was just operator error. Conversely, today it feels like the full fluid exchange worked out OK even in my high mileage transmission, but the EPC may be days away from clogging up from the new fluid detergents knocking loose gunk - it's too soon to tell. I'll try to remember to update this thread after I get more miles on.

Thanks again to everyone for all the good advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: Still going strong

I was reminded of my promise to update this thread:

So far so good - now 255K miles on the original tranny.

Still not sure you can read too much into my experiences.

I was reminded of my promise to update this thread:

So far so good - now 255K miles on the original tranny.

Still not sure you can read too much into my experiences.

I actually think that this thread is useful, as many of us try to 'go it alone' in repairs and can make unrelated errors that lead us down dead ends.

Heck, even the pros do it from time to time.

Glad it all turned out okay, and great high miles on that tranny.

If the 1998 has an electronic control for the transmission as does my 2002, try disconnecting the battery for a while (say 1/2 hour). This causes the electronic control module to lose it's setting and start from scratch in finding the right shift points, timings and pressures to use.

On my 2002 after a pan drop, filter change and cooling line exchange via the engine pump method of 12 quarts of fluid, the transmission shifted with a flare and at high RPM's the first few miles but as the electronic control adjusts to the new fluid the shifting is now better than ever.

Rumple
Rumple, you are bang on! Had the fluid changed on Sunday and it was seriously persnickety by the time I got home. Checked my fluid level and it was all good, so no answers there.

Went online and typed my question into Google and it led me to Explorer Forum. Next time, I'll just skip Google and head straight to EF cuz the answer is always here! Anyway, read your comments and did EXACTLY what you said (disconnected the battery for roughly 40 minutes) and presto, good as new(ish).

My '99 Limited has 325,000 km (202,000 mi) and started everyday this winter (I live in Calgary, AB) without being plugged in with zero hesitation every time. This vehicle has been awesome; best 600 bucks I've ever spent . . .

Just wanted to take a second and say Thanks to JKFoote and everyone who responded for posting here. Everything in your experience here, saved me from getting screwed at the shop, and selling a decent car. I had some weird shifting issues after dropping the pan, and refilling the transmission fluid. After the same Operator Error, I've got the levels right. Thanks again to everyone.

Just a FYI. Some here might remember that the Ford pan gasket at one time had short steel pins in the gasket that prevented the gasket from being "squished" out.

Original poster here - I'm up to 315K miles on the same transmission, still no issues! A little nostalgic about this thread - looking forward to retiring to have more time for this shade tree mechanic stuff. Thanks again to everybody who's contributed to this forum.

Original poster here, again. Now 335K miles on the same transmission, still no issues. First transmission, first engine, and yes sometimes I tow. Nobody more surprised than me.

Retired in May; but still looking for time to schedule shade tree mechanic work. Todo list still filled with her higher priority tasks; chipping away at it. Still, retirement rocks, don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

Crawled under it last week, knocked around and found two heat shields with failed welds. Two pipe clamps later and now it's even free of exhaust rattles. Tempted to do something stupid like buying yet another set of tires for a vehicle I thought was at end of life years ago.

Thanks again for all the help.

@jkfoote - Re the link you shared in post #21, I cannot get the link to work. I used the Search tool, but still couldn't find the content. Do you have the instructions given by CDW6212R? Thanks.

Back