Another video about the new MFT version. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another video about the new MFT version.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The video was shot this week at CES in Vegas. She made the comment "customers will get the software free in the next few months"

At first I was extremely supportive of the Performance Upgrade and the need to slow things down, engineer a robust solution, test it in the field internally with employees, and then roll it out with the least impact to both the dealers and customers.

The fact that this wasn't done in 5 years MFT was in development before the 2011MY is another issue all together. But most of those engineers are no longer involved.

But its been almost a year now with a substandard MFT system, that we were essentially mislead about its capabilities and performance.

I get the whole idea "Under promise, over deliver", but regardless this new upgrade will have some bugs and we will have to work through them. Thats just the way the software development world is.

This release will be significant because if it takes too long to be delivered and isn't as spectacular as many expect, the future of MFT will be in jeopardy.

How much more beta testing will current MFT owners allow before they give up?

Seriously, IVT please stop teasing your loyal, frustrated customers and deliver the product.

Seriously, IVT please stop teasing your loyal, frustrated customers and deliver the product.

I don't know.. though I'm anxious to get the update, they made a firm commitment to deliver "First Quarter 2012" and are still well within that. I'd rather they finish their round of extensive beta testing and deliver a more thoroughly checked build than rushing it out. As long as they don't skip their promise date I'm ok with what they are doing. If they miss this quarter then there would likely be no recovering, as you've said they've had a LONG time to fix it, and get it right.

If they miss this quarter then there would likely be no recovering, as you've said they've had a LONG time to fix it, and get it right.

Not exactly consistent with what their spokesperson says:

but this isn't an emergency move, Ford insists. Ford always planned to make improvements to the software over a car's life. "We plan to do it constantly,"

Still not sure what to expect from this update. I see simplified (were they really that complex before?) screens and Nav enhancements (I don't have Nav so that's unimportant to me) and some screen transitions that seem designed to mask the slowness of the system. I'm hoping this isn't just all lipstick on a pig, and that there are really system fixes to make this thing more reliable.

Looks to work much better than before.

I mentioned in one thread about using smartphone gps app like motionx. I am hoping they do something like that.

In fact my Sync app by Inrix just updated and looks and works much better and I am hoping it becomes an MFT app to use as navigation like motionx.

Is there ability to conduct a Poll on this board?

I'm really curious to gain a sense of how many folks here have upgraded to the latest-and-greatest MFT software release and how many feel its an improvement over the former releases--and if so, in what areas.

In my small amount of reading (and please feel free to correct me if my perception is off-base), it **seems** as though Ford's solution to many of the screen freezing issues was to "dumb-down" the interface in the latest software release.

Personally, the handful of freeze-ups we've had have affect the radio controls only--and there was only 1 time where I was not able to "un-freeze" it by pressing one of the other, unaffected systems, like Climate Control or Nav. In that one case, I had to reset the system by pulling the battery. This has not been a deal breaker for us, but I certainly understand why others who have been plagued constantly by this issue would be ready to pull their hair out.

Normally, I'm borderline obsessive about keeping my electronics at the most current software/firmware versions, but I'm not willing to upgrade our MFT if it A.) doesn't really resolve the issue, or B.) if it removes any functionality which I currently have and enjoy.

Tim

I'm really curious to gain a sense of how many folks here have upgraded to the latest-and-greatest MFT software release and how many feel its an improvement over the former releases--and if so, in what areas.

In my small amount of reading (and please feel free to correct me if my perception is off-base), it **seems** as though Ford's solution to many of the screen freezing issues was to "dumb-down" the interface in the latest software release.

No one has upgraded (that I'm aware of), it hasn't been released yet.

The solution is much more than "dumbing down" the interface. They have rewritten the user interface to use the graphics processing unit (GPU) for rendering and refresh, vs the central processing unit (CPU). GPU's were designed for rendering 3D graphics, textures, and animations. The largest problem with MFT in it's current state is that they are using flash lite which is so processor intensive that it doesn't leave much CPU to handle the other tasks involved.

While it appears they have made the interface lighter and more intuitive, this isn't at all what will cause the speed increase.

A.) doesn't really resolve the issue, or B.) if it removes any functionality which I currently have and enjoy.

I don't think Ford can really afford to put out another release that doesn't solve 99% of all the existing "known issues", so I think it's pretty safe to say you'll have A. covered. We have also been assured that all existing functionality will still be present (with the exception of not knowing whether they will maintain the temperature by the clock on the main screen, but with the uproar we've seen here it's probably a pretty safe bet they'll leave it there)

They have rewritten the user interface to use the graphics processing unit (GPU) for rendering and refresh, vs the central processing unit (CPU).

Has this been officially acknowledged somewhere, or is it merely speculation? The videos that I saw don't seem to suggest faster screen refreshes, rather the fade in/fade out trick just seems to create a transition that masks the slowness. Or so it looked to me.

I've seen next to nothing about what is technically changed or improved (beyond corp-speak PR). Is there anywhere that this info can be found?

Has this been officially acknowledged somewhere, or is it merely speculation? The videos that I saw don't seem to suggest faster screen refreshes, rather the fade in/fade out trick just seems to create a transition that masks the slowness. Or so it looked to me.

I've seen next to nothing about what is technically changed or improved (beyond corp-speak PR). Is there anywhere that this info can be found?

One of the video's where the Ford rep was being interviewed said that they moved all of the UI processing over to a chip on the board that was designed for rendering graphics. Looking for the link now.

One of the video's where the Ford rep was being interviewed said that they moved all of the UI processing over to a chip on the board that was designed for rendering graphics. Looking for the link now.

Cool. Don't bust yourself trying to find the link. If you say it was articulated by Ford, I believe it. :)

w1kedz said:

That is an GREAT YouTube!
It is longer than I thought (10minutes), but it is very informative.
I really hope Ford comes thru with what they are saying.....and I hope it comes out quickly.
I am not having too many problems with mine, but I know others are..... And we all would like it to be more reliable, faster, and have more features. I CAN'T WAIT!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back