1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Antenna Set Up pics

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by jayhawk137, February 17, 2004.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. ttavenieriii

ttavenieriii Member

City, State:
    kissimmee florida
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    98 explorer xlt
    just a typo there standard seperation for 2 intenas is 7.4feet apart
    but its still not o good idea for and explorer to many small problems

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    Just installed a new ham antenna the other day. 2 meter, 5/8 wave, NMO mount. I have been using a glass mount up 'til now, and wanted to get a wired antenna installed. Only problem is that I need to pick up another. I park in a deck every day, and the 5/8 is too long, as is a 1/2. I plan to pick up a dual band 1/4 wave sometime down the road, and just use this 5/8 when I want better performance. The mount is the same, so I just unscrew one and screw in the other.

Here are some pics ...

Mount. Wish I had tilted it back a little, instead of of straight up.
    [​IMG]

Cable routing at door hinge, and through grommet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Completed:
    [​IMG]

BTW, I used a long screwdriver to poke a hole in the grommet and feed the coax through. I was careful when I poked the hole, but when I pushed the coax through, I wasn't paying attention and scratched the door with the handle of the screwdriver. :rolleyes: Be careful!

4. corkey

corkey Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
    99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
    a little note here,, the metal allows the antenna to use the negative ground of the vehichle ,
    ask anybody that is a amatuer radio operator , (or Ham), they must be grounded to work properly ,

5. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    Ummm, ok, it's a metal bracket, screwed to the metal body. What's wrong with it? :scratch: Or were you just making a general statement?

6. WitchCityMounty

WitchCityMounty Member

City, State:
    Salem, MA
    '00 Monterey Mountaineer
    A little late...

I can't resist, i know I'm a little late but I love to show off the color match. I picked up some of the color match paint from NAPA in a rattle can and did up the antenna tip and brackets, also clear coated them (also primed the brackets duh). I made the brackets myself copying the idea of someone else on here. I am considering a little modification to them to add a grounding wire to the antennas. Also those are fire stick IIs and the radio is a WX 90 (i think).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    NOTICE THE ANTENNA TIP MATCHES THE EXTERIOR PAINT, I LOVE THAT
    [​IMG]

Last edited: October 10, 2008
  7. FireZingr

FireZingr Member

City, State:
    Charleston, WV
    98 Eddie Bauer Explorer
    Make sure you all check your SWR and adjust your antenna accordingly or you'll fry your CB's finals!:eek:

How to tune your antenna for SWR
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question490.htm

More Info on SWR:
    From Firestik® Antenna Co. Technical Support. Copyright ©

SWR (standing wave ratio) is a term every CB'er should know. SWR (measured with an SWR meter) shows you how well your coax, antenna mount, ground plane and antenna match the output capability of your CB radio. It is a ratio of maximum voltage or current to minimum voltage or current. Generally speaking, the lower the ratio the better. Defective or inferior components, bad installations and antennas not tuned to the specific location on the vehicle increases the SWR. You should strive to achieve a ratio below 2:1 on all channels.

Before measuring and setting SWR, it is helpful to know some of the things that can cause problems. Spend the time to read the information we have provided on this site and you will go into your project with valuable knowledge. It could save you a lot of time, effort and possibly, money.

Unlike receive only antennas (AM/FM radio, TV, scanner), antennas that transmit require tuning. Antenna manufacturers can supply you with an antenna that is pre-tuned to the general frequency of the intended equipment, but they cannot promise you perfect performance "out of the box". The six needed components for a mobile installation are the radio, power feed, coaxial cable, antenna mount, antenna, and ground plane (counterpoise). Even if the manufacturer supplies you with an entire kit (coax, mount & antenna), this, in most cases, leaves you without the counterpoise requirement. There is an exception to this general rule; antenna systems that use the coax cable as a counterpoise. These no-ground-plane kits are generally marketed to owners of fiberglass vehicles. However, for most applications, the mobile antenna will use the vehicle's body as counterpoise. Unless otherwise stated, the following information pertains to installations that DO NOT use coaxial counterpoise antennas.

The vehicle, in mobile installations, is just as important as the antenna and other components. The antenna is the radiating unit, the vehicle is the reflecting unit. All transmit antennas need a reflective unit. What effect does the vehicle have? Plenty! If you were to install and tune your antenna on a bumper mount then move it to the roof, you would see a change in the SWR. This is due to the change in the antenna's position relative to the vehicle surface. Location is important.

It isn't always feasible, or practical to mount the antenna in the optimum position on any vehicle. Nonetheless, whenever you set aside performance for convenience, you will need to settle for what you can get. Regardless of location, tune your antenna. Tuned antennas will give you the best performance you can expect from an antenna mounted in any given location. Most of all, remember that untested installations can cost you big bucks. Operating transmitting radios when the SWR is over 3:1 can damage the radios circuits. Always check your SWR and tune your antenna.

There is a lot to know about transmitting antennas. Even if you have your system installed by a professional, it is helpful for you to know what can affect its performance. The technical staff at Firestik® has compiled 20 plus years of technical support files. Some of our findings seem contrary to theory, but the purpose of this information is solve real problems, not preach theory. We have tried to concentrate on the areas where most of the performance robbing problems crop up. We highly recommend that you read all of the supplied information in the technical section of our web site. Starting with knowledge is always better than learning from disappointment.

8. Thebandit09

Thebandit09 New Member

City, State:
    Branchville, NJ
    1993 Eddie Bauer