1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Antenna stud mount with ring connector? How to connect to cable?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by inh, July 26, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. inh

inh Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Springfield(ish), MO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '00 XLS
    How would I connect some COAX to it? Do I just leave the sheilding cut and crimp the center conductor to the lug?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    Unless the ring is the ground. I'm having trouble picturing the connector you are talking about. Got a photo? Link? The center conductor needs to go to the antenna, and the shield to the ground.

4. inh

inh Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Springfield(ish), MO
    '00 XLS
    Sorry, thought I linked a pic..

[​IMG]

Thats a firestik mount

[​IMG]

I would just go with the normal PL-259 plug on the bottom, but im concerned about the weatherproof-ness of that design, seems the ring mount would be more robust.

5. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    Yeah, the center on your coax goes to the ring. You'd need to take part of the braid and attach it to the ground, which I guess would be at the "mount surface" shown. That doesn't look like a great way to do it though, but it'll work .... until the wires rust.

The "shoulder washer" is plastic, correct? That's your antennas isolation from ground. But you'd still need to tie your braid on your coax to something. The PL259 might be a safer bet. You can always wrap it or RTV it to keep the weather out.

You don't have any instructions that tell you what to do with the braid?

6. inh

inh Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Springfield(ish), MO
    '00 XLS
    I haven't bought it yet. Just sourcing parts for order next friday. I'll probably just go with the PL-259 termination for the mount. Thanks for the help =]

7. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    IMHO, the Ring Lugs are the best type of connection for the coax for teh average CBer.

Ring Lugs are easier to attach, easier to fix, the coax is easier to run through the vehicle without the large PL259 on the end and to radio people the ring Lugs are closer to a 50 ohm match than the standard connector, the PL259.
    As I have said before everything in an antenna setup is a compromise even the connector, that is why people use the PL259 it appears easy yo use.

Ring Lug connection on a piece of coax is easy, coax is made up of a (from the center out) center conductor, the foam or plastic insulation, a braided shield and sheathing.

The center conductor and the foam around it connects to the center of the Mounting Stud using a large ring lug.
    The braid, should be pulled apart and away from the center foam insulation and then twist the strands together add heat shrink and a smaller ring lug crimped to it. This braid attaches to the mounting plate not the Stud.
    Make sure that nothing is shorted between the center and the braid of the coax.
    also, make sure the shoulder fiber washers are positioned properly, this is a must, they are insulators and need to be there.
    Don't use any type of thread lock, unless it is specifically design for electrical connections and it is conductive.

I hope this isn't too confusing but when you look at the coax and the mount/pic you will see what needs to be done.

Talk to the World...