Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

antenna

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by leebo, July 22, 2000.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. leebo

leebo Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Mingo Junction, OH
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 Explorer Sport
    I've just finished installing my cobra cb today. I turned it on and as I expected the antenna I had bought was horid. I just bought a cheap one from Radio Shack to use till I can find another one I like. I was going through the site when i saw that there were several people here with some mounted on their bumper. I kinda like that idea. If anybody out there has done this please tell me how well it works, how much for the antenna, does it block the tailgate????? Any help will be great 10-4, and out.

:)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Char

Char Admin's Wife, Explorer Babe Staff Member Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Wittmann
    1993 Explorer XLT
    Callsign:
    KB7TKQ
    leebo,
    It may not just be that your antenna is crap. Explorers at least early years like yours and ours have horrible fuel pump noise. If I remember correctly the noise level was like S8 on the meter. There was a TSB for it if I'm not mistaken. Don't remember cost or anything else. Rick is not home right now or I would ask him. Hope this helps some.

4. leebo

City, State:
    Mingo Junction, OH
    1994 Explorer Sport
    I'm not sure how close this is but I was able to adjust my antenna and received a check of about 4 miles. This was in the city on channel 19. I also had better range on another channel in which I got about 7 miles range. I guess I'll stick with this antenna and see if it tides me over. Thanks a ton Char. O ya, I will see if changing the filter will help too.

:)

5. ExplorGM

ExplorGM Active Member

City, State:
    AZ
    1995 Explorer Expedition
    Antennas again?

Any recommendations on which are the best antennas? I looked at the Firestik site. I would prefer a permanent mount as my magnetic antenna easily taken off by tree branches and such. Should I go with a long antenna on the roof/bumper, or with one of the cell phone look a like antennas on the roof?
    Thanks!
    Rick

6. leebo

City, State:
    Mingo Junction, OH
    1994 Explorer Sport
    I myself desided to redo my antenna and also changed to a firestik. You can tell a change when the truck is off but when it's on it's about the same. I would go ahead and use it again over the cheap antenna I had though.

I went ahead and drilled two holes into my roof rack and bought a sideways mirror mount. I put the antenna on top and off I went. The cable just goes in through the door and down the door jam. You really can't see much cable at all, and inside you can't see any. I do need to buy an external ground though. They're not too expensive but I can tell I need one if I'm going to use the roof rack.

I'll let you know how this change works

7. FC2ED

FC2ED Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Philly, PA but transplanted too Bryans Road, MD
    1994 Mazda Navajo
    Leebo,
    You need to tune the antenna. Otherwise you risk blowing the transmitter. Go to the local Radio Shak and pick up an SWR meter for about 12 bucks. You will temporarily install this in-line with you cb and antenna. You can go to channel 1 and then channel 40 and tune the antenna as close to 1 as you can or go to the most frequently used channel such as 19 and tune that channel in. What you are trying to do is remove as much of the standing waves as ytou can. I'm not sure if your antenna has a tuning sleeve or not but this how you adjust the antenna to match your unit.
    As far as the ground, you should ground the antenna as this will make your truck the ground plane. As an example, I'm using a magnetic mount and have the antenna mounted to the rear of the roof. This allows me to receive more transmissions from the front then the rear as I'm driving down the highway. As I travel I'm more worried about where the police and traffic are ahead then behind me. Hope this helps a little.

8. Ray Lobato

Ray Lobato Moderator Moderator Emeritus

2006 Honda Accord
    Hey Rick Those cell phone looking antenna's are garbage. Don't waste your money. Firesticks are very good antennas. In fact it's better than my Wilson 1000 and alot cheaper too. The only antenna that is better would be a 109" whip antenna. Hope this helps.

9. philbon

philbon New Member

hey guys i agree that the 102'steel whip is a good anteana
    especaily if you do alot of off roading mount it to the rear bumper. im currently running a wilson 5000 mounted thru the cab roof on my silverado p/up works really great
    just wanted to add my 2 cents worth ..........phil

10. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    Another 2 cents. 102" whips are the most directional of mobile antennaes. What this means is if you mount the antenna on the right rear corner of your truck the best signal will be sent and recieved towards the front left corner of your truck. The worst area for trasmit recieve would be in the "null" behind the right rear corner. This effect is evident with any antenna mounted on the corner of a vehicle, but it is most pronounced with the 102" whip.

Some clubs won't allow you to run 102" whips on their trail runs. The reason being is that they can easily injure a spotter.

My personal favorite is a Wilson 1000 on a permanant mount in the center of the roof. Unfortunately I don't have one anymore...I broke it off :D

11. ExplorGM

ExplorGM Active Member

City, State:
    AZ
    1995 Explorer Expedition
    FC2ED- On the highway, police are my concern too. Are there any specific channels that are used for this purpose?
    Ray- Thanks! I almost went for the Cell looking antennas because of the ability to get into the garage.
    Leebo- How's the rack mounting working out? I'd like to go that route, as the bumper mounting was not recommended on another post.
    Rick- What makes the Wilson 1000 better? Ray seems to be happy with the Firestik. What is your recommendation for a ham radio for the truck? Now that I am near both you and Gerry Higgins, I am thinking about taking the code test.
    Philbon-Is the Wilson 5000 better than the 1000?
    Thanks guys!
    Rick

12. leebo

City, State:
    Mingo Junction, OH
    1994 Explorer Sport
    The roof rack is working out great. The only thing I'm going to redo is the ground. I didn't think of it when I installed it but the roof rack is mounted on a thin piece of plastic to protect the roof.....thus making in ungrounded from the frame. You can buy a ground kit for about $10 or so just about anywhere. I'm going to do that this weekend I think. Shouldn't take more that 15min.

13. FC2ED

FC2ED Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Philly, PA but transplanted too Bryans Road, MD
    1994 Mazda Navajo
    Leebo,
    I just listen to 19. Seems all the truck drivers use this as a standard channel. Be fore warned that unless you can speak their native tongue, you will not get to many responses from them.

14. philbon

philbon New Member

RICK,well first off with a wilson 5000 you can run more power then with a 1000.and compairing a 5000 to a 1000 which i have had both on the same vehicle (at different times of course)i like the ears better with the 5000
    but thats only my preferance. years ago i had a 66 charger that i ran a 102"steel whip on, mounted dead center of the rear bumper and talked all over the world with only 200 watts..........i currently run a 102" steel whip mounted on a custom bracket dead center of the rear of my caravan with a quick disconnect so i can remove it to open the rear hatch
    door. i also have the bracket grounded to the frame...phil

15. Char

Char Admin's Wife, Explorer Babe Staff Member Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Wittmann
    1993 Explorer XLT
    Callsign:
    KB7TKQ
    Rick (ExplorGM),

I know where classes are being held for the Technician class and the Morse code. ;)

16. ExplorGM

ExplorGM Active Member

City, State:
    AZ
    1995 Explorer Expedition
    Char-Great!

Char
    I'll be over to visit with you and Rick as soon as we are settled. We move the 11th. I've been making the trip to Palm Springs every Sun/Mon to get the house ready. It will be nice to be settled!
    Rick

17. ExplorGM

ExplorGM Active Member

City, State:
    AZ
    1995 Explorer Expedition
    Thanks Phil!

I'm going to need some type of quick disconnect to get in the garage without damage. Most of the traffic was happening on channel 6 on Route 10 from CA to AZ today. There does not seem to be any pattern to which channel is used the most on that route?
    Rick

18. philbon

philbon New Member

rick

rick any advice or help that i can give you please email me
    off of this list and ill be more than happy to advice you further............phil