Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Anti Rattle Clips for Brakes

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by ricklee4570, October 2, 2008.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. ricklee4570

ricklee4570 New Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    I have a 94 Sport. Had the front end rebuilt, still had a rattle sound when I hit bumps. Went back and had the shop check it out. They said it needed the anti rattle clips for the front brakes. They put them in, it stopped making the noise..........for three days. So, back it went, and they fixed it again, this time it lasted for a week. Im nowhere near this shop now, and I guess Im wondering if this is an inherent problem with these Explorers? If you lightly apply the brakes, all noise stops.

By the way, brake pads are like new.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Crunchy

Crunchy Member

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ranger 03 XLT 4L SOHC 2wd
    Do your pads have the shims molded into them? My old pads, the shims rusted away and would rattle like there is no tomorrow. My new pads do it too, but to a far lesser degree, and they have molded shims.

I bought this stuff, comes in a spray can, and goes on blue. It is made to apply to the BACK (non-contact side) of brake pads to fill in all the small imperfections in the pad backing that cause the noise. I was told the noise is the pads rubbing against the caliper when you hit small bumps. Once dried, put pads back on and quite like a church mouse. The amount you need, compared to the amount you get in a can, would probably last you a lifetime of brakes. And it was under $5.

4. ricklee4570

ricklee4570 New Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    Wow, I will try that! Thanks for the advice.

By the way, besides being very annoying, does it hurt anything when they are rattling away?

5. Robrt32

Robrt32 Active Member

City, State:
    Sledge Mississippi
    94 Explorer XLT
    Mine did the same thing.. The clips fixed the rattle for a while now its right back doing it

6. Anime

Anime EF YEAH!! Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    2018 EX Sport Concept
    Brake noise depends a lot on the parts you're using. Cheaply remanufactured calipers, loose caliper slide pins, low end brake pads, and low end rotors with thin and flimsy anti-squal plates or clips still add up to a noisy system. High performance brakes actually squeal quite a bit and stop rather poorly until they get really warm.

Most often its the material on the pad or the pad design that causes squeal, though, often being incorrect for the application. (too soft, too hard, wrong useful heat range) If it continues to be a problem, you might want to see about having the pads replaced with something else, perhaps even Motorcraft pads from Ford.

Do you know what brand and model of pads are on there now? Some brands are notoriously noisy, sometime just on particular vehicles, though.

I've used NAPA parts and pads/shoes and they've always been quiet as can be. Even when I wore the pads down to the pins and it was just metal on metal stopping the vehicle. Can't beat that for low noise.

7. Robrt32

Robrt32 Active Member

City, State:
    Sledge Mississippi
    94 Explorer XLT
    I bought the pads from Advance Auto and I didn't have much money so I'm sure they are the cheap stuff........ I will upgrade next pay day and see what that does for me

8. Tony H

Tony H Well-Known Member

City, State:
    New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
    '91 Eddie Bauer
    I keep hearing about these Rattle Clips. I just saw a picture of them on the NAPA website but at a quick glance I cannot see where they would fit on the caliper to do their job. anyone have a picture of them installed?