Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Anti theft

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Mikec86, February 16, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Mikec86

Mikec86 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 explorer
    Hi I have a question about anti theft on explorers. I have a 1997 sport trac 2door. The car was down for a while because the right rear quarter panel window was broken. I replaced that today then went to start it. The battered was dead so I replaced it with an extra I had lying around but when I did the car alarm went off. I noticed a black hose/wire with a red tip to the rear of the car when I replaced the window. I was thinking maybe I did something to that piece that set off the anti theft alarm. Any ideas on how to fix this or if it is even the problem?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. brantm21

brantm21 New Member

98 Explorer XLT 5.0
    I'm not sure about the wire but I know on my 98, anytime I unhook the battery, when I hook it back up the alarm sounds. I just press unlock to turn it off. Then I wait about 5 seconds and unlock again then I start it.

4. DjDom

DjDom Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Toronto, Ontario
    97 XL(imited)
    First question is, does your Explorer have a factory Anti-theft system or an aftermarket one?
    Either way, pressing unlock on the fob should work.