Antifreeze leak after off-roading | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Antifreeze leak after off-roading

bubble874

Reaction score
I took my x off the road for about 30 minutes. Then after i washed all the mud off, and went to get some gas i noticed i was leaking antifreeze. I looked under the car and it was coming from the corner of this metal box like right behind the fan. Just a small drip. Then when i got home, the leak was gone and it wasn't there. What could this be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year & engine type is your Explorer?

On our 92 the only metal box near the fan that I can think of is the fuel vapor recovery system (charcole canister).. It is next do the radiator but in front of the fan...

Either way... On our 92 after I go wheeling I usually have some antifreeze drip. Turns out that when I get really off camber (even happens front to back) the overflow tank leaks out of the cap. When I'm wheeling the motor is warm so there is more water in the overflow than when the motor is cold (making it easier to leak)..

Hopefully it is the same for you.. but I can't think of where you saw the stuff comding from.

~Mark

Sometimes I have drips from my coolant and washer tanks. They leak out the breather holes in the tank caps. No biggie, I just make sure that's where the drips are coming from ;)

I have a 91' x, with a 4.0L. The drip looks like it came from a corner seal i guess in the engine block. The drip is from behind the radiator. I guess that is the engine block. It hasn't drip, but that one time.

Back