1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Any Audiophiles? Burnt MP3's

Discussion in 'Exploring Computers!!' started by lonestar, October 3, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. lonestar

lonestar Well-Known Member

City, State:
      lou,ky
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      91 XLT, 02 XLS
      I was just wondering the difference in quality in the different MP3 bitrates available to download after being burned to audio cds. At first I began to download 160bps and lately I have began to get mostly 128bps because they are easier to find. When I rip a CD for backup, I usaully rip it at 160 bps. That way I can store my whole cd collection on the computer and easily flip through songs. I can't tell any difference, but I don;t have an Hi-fi system, yet.

Any audiophiles out there that could tell me how much a differrence there is between listening to a 128bps, 160 bps and a 192 bps over a hi-fi system. Also is there any differnece in sound quality between playing the MP3 directly and burnig it onto a audio CD? I may just plug my computer into my home stereo, that makes easy organization and playlist.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ChuckyD

ChuckyD Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Oceanside, NY
      03 4Runner SR5
      plug ur pc into the stereo.. much cooler

And the difference between 128 and 160 is is so minute you would not b able to tell the difference with the naked ear. also, just because it is recorderd that way doesnt mean that the song quality is crappy, listen to the song after you download it and make sure there are no digital "skips" or anything
      i have listened to songs that were at 320 and they sucked.

4. Paresis

Paresis New Member

City, State:
      toledo, ohio
      1997 Explorer XLT
      Depending on the quality of your audio system there is a pretty noticeable difference between 128kbps and 192kbps. Quality also depends on the encoder you use. My personal preference is to encode at 320kbps at all times using LAME. There are artifacts in any song that has been encoded as an mp3 becuase no matter what bitrate you use its still compressed and losses some of the quality of the original.

Here is an encoder that uses LAME

5. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      '00 XLT 4x4
      I can tell a difference between 128 and 160, but my dad is a recording engineer, and has helped me tune my ears so to speak, to listen for it.

I always encode mp3's at 256. If I'm DL'ing them I prefer 192 or better, but will settle for 160.

I picked these numbers after encoding a song at every bitrate, and playing it back on both my computer, and in my car. Just remember that the higher bitrate also means that it takes up more storage space on your HD, so you kind of have to find a happy medium.

6. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      '00 XLT 4x4
      Are you asking about DLing a file and then burning it to a CD as an audio CD. If so, once you compress a song into mp3, you loose sound quality. Burning it to an Audio CD will burn the exact quality that the mp3 is. So, no, there is no diff.

7. zekex2

zekex2 Active Member

City, State:
      CA
      98 XLT 5.0 L AWD
      Most people can not tell the diff. I use mp3s fairly often as a dj in halls, gymnasiums, and outdoors at weddings and dances of several hundred people. I have found that outdoors cd origionals sound the best. indoors where i get a lot of bounce off the walls the mp3s sound a little cleaner. I can actually hear the words sometimes. After over 20 yrs of doing this I and combined w/ just being older. I don't hear as well as i used to. So basically What I am saying is that if it sounds good to you than be happy. My pro sound system can reproduce way behoynd what the human can hear. It can be made to reproduce exactly what was recorded. But after ieq and get t it flat, i immedialy boost the the lows and cut the highs. thats the way i like it. and no matter how much i have spent on equip. (a lot more than for my X) i will set it up that way. So if you are happy w/ the 128 fine, if it bothers you fine. Its your ears that have to be happy. not the guy in the car next to you.

8. Blue Steel

Blue Steel Active Member

City, State:
      Wilmington, NC
      Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
      for me there's a noticable difference between 128 and 160, and a huge difference between 128 and 192. if you listen to little nuances like the upper end of the spectrum with symbol crashes etc, they sound garbled. what mp3's do is concentrate on the vocal range and then really really compress the other frequency range, so the voice is less garbled than the low and high end of the spectrum. try and at least get 192 for burning to cd's because it will sound MUCH better. i can even differentiate the difference with the stock system in the explorer between those bitrates burnt on a cd, but then again, i'm super **** about my music and the way it sounds.

9. ChuckyD

City, State:
      Oceanside, NY
      03 4Runner SR5
      Then why is it when i sometimes download a 128 it sounds better then a 192 ...and it is noticable!

10. lonestar

lonestar Well-Known Member

City, State:
      lou,ky
      91 XLT, 02 XLS
      Maybe the original was bad, You can only copy as good as the original recording. So if someone tries to rip a scratched disk, then the recorded mp3 will be bad regardless if its 128, 160, or 192.

a 128 will sound better if the 192 was ripped from a bad source. A lot will also depend on the encoder.

11. ChuckyD

City, State:
      Oceanside, NY
      03 4Runner SR5
      Thats exactly what i meant in my first post, i must just get alot of crappy ones... lol
      But you are right, i downloaded a few songs b4 and u can hear a difference, i guess i just dont pay attention too much, i do download more movies the music anyhow.

12. todd_c

todd_c Active Member

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      '01 Sport Trac 4x4
      I use VBR when encoding. You get a smaller file size without loosing quality. If you're using LAME, use "--alt-preset standard" as the command line switch.

13. Paresis

Paresis New Member

City, State:
      toledo, ohio
      1997 Explorer XLT
      Because some encoders suck more than others. Thats just one possible reason, but I think its the most likely.