Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Any bow hunters on here?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by mavmike72, December 15, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. bt93

bt93 Active Member

City, State:
    NE Arkansas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    97 Eddie V8
    I'm more if a Bowtech guy myself.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. manaen

manaen Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Clear Spring, MD
    2011 Xterra Pro-4X
    They they have some nice stuff!!

Let's face it, all of us will talk up what we own. There are few of us that have the opportunity to actually shoot all these different bows. And if we could, chances are they wouldn't be setup properly for the shooter (ie demo bow etc..)

I am convinced that any one of these new bows offers more than what is needed to take any game. Some may be smoother/quieter/faster but when it comes down to it, its a case of what feels good in your hand, and can you put the shot where it counts. Most of the marketing hype these days is just that, when the rubber meets the road it mostly doesn't make a spit of difference when that deer is standing at 30 yards.

Personally I got my Mathews for a song on craigs list with another bow and 2 dozen carbons. The guy I got it from had to have the latest and greatest so he sold his old gear. That's the only reason I even have a Mathews bow. But to me after I got it all setup, it shoots awesome. I don't really care to have 10 more FPS or some new fancy rest etc... Every deer I shot this year received a clean pass through and went no more then 60 yards. In fact 2 of them didn't even know they were hit and just walked away only to stumble and fall.

I say shoot whatever you have, practice as much as you can, and spend some time in the woods. It is pure peace and joy when everything comes together.

Man I love Hunting!!! Just saw the weather snow is on the way it's a great time to get out and do some stalking. I will be out tomorrow in the snow stalking some deer. What a great time to enjoy the beauty of creation..:thumbsup:

4. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Martinsburg WV
    84 BII "Li'l Samson"
    Hey I just got back from hunting and seen this thread. I've bow hunted for decades and decades. Learned to shoot before there was any compound bows. Mostly Bear recurve bows. My first Compound bow was a Jennings model T bought back in the mid 70s. But due to of all things a poison spider bite during last Spring Turkey season and months of therapy I had to sell all my bows. Can not even elevate my arm long enough to hold the bow out with my left arm.
    But did get a permit to shoot a cross bow. Thought I'd never say that but it's the only way I can bow hunt now.

[​IMG]

Back in my healthier years. I believe that was a Darton bow. I've had so many.
    Starting Mon. our bow season comes back in. Can't wait.

5. manaen

manaen Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Clear Spring, MD
    2011 Xterra Pro-4X
    man a Spider bite, dude that sucks. I have a few guys that I hunt with that use crossbows due to age or injury. I say if it keeps you in the woods go for it. Our second season has been in for a few days although now our muzzle loader season comes in for two weeks. Then its back to the bow again.

6. briwayjones

briwayjones Manual Master

City, State:
    Eldersburg, MD
    2000 Ford Explorer XLS
    What kind of Spider, Brown Recluse?

7. rookieshooter

City, State:
    Martinsburg WV
    84 BII "Li'l Samson"
    Yes it was. Crawled up my hunting jacket and I guess where it got tight around the shoulder it got a little grumpy and did a number on me. I went to my Dr. immediately and was on anti biotecs for several weeks. Then the skin started to come off an area about the size of an orange. The only thing that really saved my arm was that I got attention fast. But it like dissolved my tendons. I spent 2 months trying to get my arm back in shape but to this date I still can not hold but a few pounds straight out for more then a few seconds.
    I got bit the last week of May while sitting in some damp rotten fallen trees while calling Mr Tom Turkey.
    Been to Nurosurgens and Orthopedic doctors.

8. briwayjones

City, State:
    Eldersburg, MD
    2000 Ford Explorer XLS
    Man, that really bites (no pun intended). They are some nasty spiders.

Did you at least get a Turkey?

9. manaen

manaen Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Clear Spring, MD
    2011 Xterra Pro-4X
    Man your just down the road too, I heard they were in the area, but I never saw one. Course I wouldn't know what they even look like. Geesh that stinks. That's why I don't like the early season of archery, just not cold enough to control all those stupid ticks. So what is the outlook from the Dr. will you ever get your strength back?

10. rookieshooter

City, State:
    Martinsburg WV
    84 BII "Li'l Samson"
    [​IMG]

Pictures worth a thousand words. I'm retired so I hunt every day that I can. Keeps me in shape.

They don't know. I have these large rubber band straps that I exercise every or every other day. One doctor told me that certain kinds of venom whether spider or snake has different effects. Some stop the breathing and some dissolve tissue.
    I know that those Brown Recluse also love to live in your house. But most people never see them or are even bitten by them.
    Look for their skeleton remains. They shed their skin as they grow and sometimes you may see it. It looks just like full spider but hollow. I think the Brown may be one of few that do this. Also I would Google them also.

11. manaen

manaen Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Clear Spring, MD
    2011 Xterra Pro-4X
    So do you have private land, or do you hunt one of the WMA's like Sleepy Creek.. I love the Mon area out west around the blackwater some great stuff...

12. rookieshooter

City, State:
    Martinsburg WV
    84 BII "Li'l Samson"
    Both private and Sleepy Creek. Ya, I love the Blackwater area also.
    Used to hunt up at Canaan Valley also. Absolutely beautifully area

13. briwayjones

City, State:
    Eldersburg, MD
    2000 Ford Explorer XLS
    The easiest way to identify them is they have a fiddle shape on their back. And they are smooth looking not hairy like the large brown wolf spiders and field spiders you see out in fields and weeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_recluse_spider

14. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    Wow- that's a hard story, rookieshooter. My Dad is getting to the point that he will be thinking about a crossbow, but I know it will be hard. He has been a rabid bowhunter for decades, it makes up his existence. Neither of us has hunted with guns for over 15 years. I see no challenge in it, but that's just my personal preference.

I'm a Bowtech guy too, I'm shooting an 82nd Airborne now, it is my second Bowtech.

Nice bear! I've been going up to Manitoba with my Dad for the last few years now, we go in the spring, and he goes in the fall as well. This was my largest black bear, actually taken on my first hunt, in Ontario. It was 439 lbs. and now resides on the floor in my den. :) I was lucky enough to get this one with my Hoyt Vector back in 2004 by Hornepayne, Ontario.

[​IMG]

15. dkchrist

dkchrist Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Fayetteville, AR
    93 XLT 4DR
    Bowtechs are awfully nice bows!

Nice bear too!!

Pigs are the closest I have been to hunting bear.

16. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    Another thing about the FPS war- they're BS. They rate them using "arrows" with such light grain weights that you would void your warranty if you ever tried to use anything that would get you that FPS in the first place.

Lesson: Shoot what you feel best shooting. Like Manaen told- pass throughs are a good indicator. the FPS will get your shot there a split second sooner maybe, but if you're on target and taking a good humane shot, a well tuned bow no matter if it's 250 or 350FPS- will take your animal. Dont buy the hype, buy a bow that you like and feel comfy shooting.

17. mavmike72

mavmike72 New Member

City, State:
    Louisville Ky
    97 explorer 5.0
    You guys no anything about axion sights. Guy has a brand new simplex 3 pin w/light ap camo .019 pins for 52.00
    Are these sights any good and is this a good deal?

18. mavmike72

mavmike72 New Member

City, State:
    Louisville Ky
    97 explorer 5.0
  19. rookieshooter

City, State:
    Martinsburg WV
    84 BII "Li'l Samson"
    It is a well made site with about 36" of optic fiber and is CNC made. Buy it.

I was never a fan of multiable sites. Works fine in the back yard, but when that big Bruin or 20" wide buck appears, I don't need a whole bunch of pins to choose from.
    The lung area on a Buck is large enough not to mention that a bear is even larger and extends further back pass the shoulders to hit at most yardages. Might have to hold pin a little higher, but that's not a big thing.
    It's like peep sites, their fine for showing off to your friends on how well you can group your arrows. But ever try try to find a Black bear late in the evening in the Spring time in Quebec Canada through a peep site and your heart pounding in your chest? It just all blends together?
    Now about that inth degree of speed from light arrows. I agree about the BS on that. One of my guides used to kid me about my arrows looking like telephone poles.
    But of the half dozen or so Black bears I have taken with a bow. All have been complete double lung pass throughs. I'll take kinetic energy over speed any day.
    Now granted were talking really close ranges. In the spring when I hunted these bears it is like a tropical rain Forrest. They don't call it the Bush in Quebec for nothing. Most shots were 12 to 15 feet.
    The many years that I spent Bear hunting at Ron Henerys bow only hunting camp including helping with guiding to newbies. I found the simplier your bow is the better off you are.

Going to be interesting the next week bow hunting in 20" of snow.

20. mavmike72

mavmike72 New Member

City, State:
    Louisville Ky
    97 explorer 5.0

Thanks for the info.

21. rookieshooter

City, State:
    Martinsburg WV
    84 BII "Li'l Samson"
    [​IMG]

All this talk about bow hunting fired my instincts up. So what if there is 2 feet of snow. The worst day hunting is better then the best day at work.
    After first driving to Dunkin for some coffee and a bagel I made it to the farm 2 hours late.
    Immediately after arriving and making the walk to my blind...I thought it was my best interest to mark my territory. :p:
    And you thought a deer did that did'nt you.

[​IMG]

Ah, the deer are moving. Should have been an hour earlier.

[​IMG]

Here is my blind. Some of you may know that it is my matching 84 Bronco ii trailer all dressed up like a bush.

[​IMG]

Now to replenish my depleted energy supply from all that walking in the snow.
    A bagel never tasted so good as roasted on an end of a Crossbow Bolt.

[​IMG]

Now come on out of that thicket you old Buck.
    Must have smelled my bagel roasting cause he never came out. But I'm not giving up my roasted bagel.
    I'll try again tomorrow.