Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Any cheaper mods to increase performance?

Discussion in 'Modified Explorations!!' started by agentq232, September 28, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. agentq232

agentq232 New Member

City, State:
      San Rafael, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 XLT
      Ive got a 98 v8 XLT I just bought used. Are there any cheaper mod's i can do to increase performance in this baby? I like the power of the v8 but more is better right? :)

Also, I was thinking about putting a new exhaust on. Will the 50 series Flows work?

Also Im not mechanically inclined at all. Im a youngin and have not learned much about cars, but enlighten me!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. agentq232

agentq232 New Member

City, State:
      San Rafael, CA
      1998 XLT
      the car is stock btw...

4. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Active Member

City, State:
      Victoria, British Columbia
      97 XL Sport
      :D Well now, that depends on what is your personnal definiton on "cheap" big time! Unfortunately, the words "cheap" and "mods" don't apply to the Explorer. However, if you are really serious about it, and don't mind spending a little bit of $$$, well then I would start with an intake kit. KKM is probably the one your looking at because it is cheaper than the K&N FIPK, and they are pretty much identical.After that go ahead and open up the exhaust and get a cat-back made at a good local muffler shop. You are looking for about a 3 inch diametre and mandrel bends. The Flowmaster 50 series is an excellant choice.

Check out www.truckperformance.com for other mods...but remember, they aren't cheap. Good Luck.

5. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      I would recommend a custom cat back exhaust made by a local muffler shop as your first step... then the sky is the limit.

Enjoy.....

6. 99explorer5.0

99explorer5.0 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      RI
      '99 XLT 5.0L
      All of you guys that recommend systems made at their local shops how long to those exhasut systems last? WHen i had my mustang those systems that they shops had would only last a year before they would rot out. I l drive up north alot to ski so i know that has alot to do with it. which is why i purchased my Gibson Stainless. I plan on keeping my truck until i run it to the ground so i wanted an exhaust that would last.

7. DarkFox1

DarkFox1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Augusta Georgia
      '97 Mountaineer
      *cough* I wont comment on air filters and exhaust.. aside from they did nothing for me.. and if they did its not enough for what it cost cos I can't feel it.

personally.. there are no CHEAP mods.. just about everything that yeilds results is $400-1000 it seems, maybe a cam swap, headers, a larger MAF-filter-catback-header-chip combo might be noticable..

most people it seems just recommend a supercharger, that I KNOW you can feel the gains from.

8. becker69

becker69 Active Member

City, State:
      Centennial, CO
      01 Sport Trac
      OK all you V8 guys please don't get torqued if this is seemingly inept; but if you have handled the breathing capabilities, and exhaust, yet if a chip is too $$, can you go with a different (aftermarket)pulley set-up if offered, I realize this may limit alterator pwer functions, but I know it has been said to lessen drag on the stock motor, so does this have merit?
      Why not shave some weight? just gut the interior if it's useless weight... j/k :D
      Or gears if it is a 2wd... those wouldn't be too expensive.

9. DarkFox1

DarkFox1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Augusta Georgia
      '97 Mountaineer
      I dont know that they offer an underdrive pulley set for the 5.0 X

I recently read an article on this in a GM mag.. they cut the air box, and swapped in some $100 underdrive pulleys and dynod 25 more horses out of a camaro.

now our cars.. I doubt this would happen.. and thats not just because I have developed a sharp malice towards my ford :p I mean if a catback and a filter change doesn't bring about a noticable HP gain, I dont see how an underdrive pulley set would be valid either.

as far as the issues with power steering and a/c from this, this has been argued before, but most people say no..

RATED wise.. pulleys are worth a god 10hp.. realistically... I dont think it'd do anything.. but thats just my opinion

10. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
    11. Bottomlesspit

Bottomlesspit Active Member

City, State:
      Del Rio, TX
      '05 XLT
      alec,
      Thanks for that link to your "what to do opinion" page. It helped me out with a few questions I was saving up. I have done every trick in the book to my old 93 stang and had it in the 12s but alas, the explorer had my name (and family) names called. Since I am new to the explorer world, and obviously can't work on it like the old stang...I am wondering about my getting this 99 XLS with the OHC engine. Is this the "dog" engine in the lineup? Seems so much on here is still geared to SOHC and 5.0 engines. I had to get the smaller engine to help with fuel economy and such. I love this clean XLS, but would still like to tinker with it. I've gone from 8 miles per gallon to 18 in the city...yeah!!!
      As for the underdrive pulleys, they are well tested and documented to provide excellent increases in usuable hp. I have not seen any for the explorers yet, but I had documented 10+ hp on my stang with just pulleys. Charging and AC problems were non-existent although a few guys with big stereo amps always complained.
      Again, thanks for the info.
      Ken

12. Jason_25

Jason_25 Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      '95 Explorer "Expedition"
      Bottomless, all three engines have advantages and disadvantages, but the bottom line is they are all great. The OHV engine in your explorer is super reliable, and is a great platform for running NOS or a blower, even though it's a little limited in the HP department.