• Register Today It's free!

Any hitch that fits the frame?

Cole94

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT 4dr 4x4
So my local pull it yard doesent have any first or second gen exploders, so I was wondering if I could just find any old blot on hitch that fits my frame width and use it with some fabrication and drilling? Is there any complications I may run into? I think I know the answer to this one, just running it by the experts here to be sure.

Also, my rear bumper is rusted out and pulling away from the car. The c shaped mounts have rusted through the bumper and in half (this is the only badly rusted part on the frame) Looking under, it appears that the tow point is bolted directly to the frame mounts for the bumper, making this just as good as any receiver hitch I would ever need. I was thinking about just replacing the bumper as it is the same cost as a hitch and will be fine for any towing I will be doing (less than 2,500lbs). Thoughts on the strength of a structurally sound bumper for towing?

Mine came with my 94 EB 7 years ago. No labeling on it, but here are some pix to show you what was/is available.

XHitchRcvr.jpg

XHitchRcvrSide.jpg

Back