any major benefits of Rancho Quicklift over Spacers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

any major benefits of Rancho Quicklift over Spacers?

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
Lift decisions.... I planned on lifted my '06 EB with Rancho Quicklifts (to replace my original 168K mile struts) , BTF arms and a 1.25" body lift. (Already purchased the left Quicklift, just need the right, and have the body lift).... But i have since decided to sell the '06 and am replacing it with an '08 Limited with original 60K miles. I dont really want to put a bodylift on the '08.... So do i buy the right quicklift and and add a small spacer on top of these... or ditch the quicklift all together and just get a set of BTF 3" spacers on the factory struts?

Basically do i really gain that much by running the Ranchos? (i have heard they have slightly more travel over oem front struts) I originally thought they lifted the front 1.75" but according to the Rancho site, it says only 1.00" ???? I was going to talk to BTF about adding a 1.5" spacer on top (or whatever would get me to 3")... or so i sell the body lift and Rancho for 3" spacers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am yet to find an actual review of the QL's... Super frustrating. I'd like to know how they ride on washboard roads over the factory suspension?

I have a set of quick lifts. They stop producing the rear ones just this past year. Jumped and over paid to get the last set I could find. (You might be out of luck in this regard.)

Also added 32" LT General Grabber ATX's. Definitely have stiffened the ride up a bit. This year has been somewhat trying so I have not had the chance to really test out this set up off road. The adjustable damping on the Quicklifts is interesting and I know it works because if I jack up the lower control arms on the firmer setting the truck actually rises rather than allow the arms to compress. (Just re acquainted myself with this replacing my upper ball joint and wheel bearing, lift and tires seemed to kill the ball joint after 40K and thus screwed my wheel bearing)

There is a small lift you gain with the quick lifts. I'd say 1.5-2 inches in the front and 1 in the back. I have heard the V8 guys see less lift because of the additional weight on the front end.

Here she sits with the tires and lift about a month ago. I'm battling some rust and picked up a real beater to replace her as my daily. Hoping to start using her more for off road work rather than throwing more miles on back and forth to work each day. Just crossed 220k :thumbsup:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kHEqnj7dzed3eJeB6

Vxnt8wgcQKcoYgEH9om3wPCmdGlpIPnrNdqTgkpRfVtAuFzBQr9BrcUaTedCjW-0h046FvM3Sov7nu8iQ8mCeKLt0_znYTIYaTs0RGtuNf1j_fE05cocwFOXxFwD97jS8G8ojBDtXYqsYp-gNjgcaLbmn472vVXGCdRjJYNLb5UKlfg3HJ_P5VLR5JskyegMPPKCPKuFctygr0PPPf_X_5eJPy-vZMWeTM_pJPowFQfYhDFT1opigHRrVLSka4ZqSzxQN_Dk2aXGJvsPNm-JGbGhwbhHtsu-qu_f_oRUZaDxhIbysBn7gtj31CevYOc85e3Hk8zq74slOFR7dfpdI7ztjHKSQdgknvnYdYlnWIArplpVUiLHyAThI5afcvMPTRh_CcGGsZnEI_L5bi_G5Zu6IiHJngI9dar1O_dede5uRCOEQ9YvrA5rSNOgXTL7IByzOJYx5pTrQ5TmE2jCljC4bpbVILBBkezJFEALMEOA6UCvAjpXN48tEVOF3XY7MboBhHXjWtpsg7gfbNZPHVGPTbaPGepMF3Nj9qttvDLOP8_Y9JdsdC6xlNDH3-uzydAPCcZEbQcwhKrUR6VE1bz-pn1WSAfmaf4FbBuBhvii_sXfpqNlsNm_xdTwQFf6oDspXPvxs9qiVzMwYsfVcoBtx-Sl2mmDiFayMW-A7H09KWOTVlUtZ6w=w958-h719-no

kHEqnj7dzed3eJeB6
DZ6g3r9onsUjxzQA7

I have a set of quick lifts. They stop producing the rear ones just this past year. Jumped and over paid to get the last set I could find. (You might be out of luck in this regard.)

Also added 32" LT General Grabber ATX's. Definitely have stiffened the ride up a bit. This year has been somewhat trying so I have not had the chance to really test out this set up off road. The adjustable damping on the Quicklifts is interesting and I know it works because if I jack up the lower control arms on the firmer setting the truck actually rises rather than allow the arms to compress. (Just re acquainted myself with this replacing my upper ball joint and wheel bearing, lift and tires seemed to kill the ball joint after 40K and thus screwed my wheel bearing)

There is a small lift you gain with the quick lifts. I'd say 1.5-2 inches in the front and 1 in the back. I have heard the V8 guys see less lift because of the additional weight on the front end.

Here she sits with the tires and lift about a month ago. I'm battling some rust and picked up a real beater to replace her as my daily. Hoping to start using her more for off road work rather than throwing more miles on back and forth to work each day. Just crossed 220k :thumbsup:

Vxnt8wgcQKcoYgEH9om3wPCmdGlpIPnrNdqTgkpRfVtAuFzBQr9BrcUaTedCjW-0h046FvM3Sov7nu8iQ8mCeKLt0_znYTIYaTs0RGtuNf1j_fE05cocwFOXxFwD97jS8G8ojBDtXYqsYp-gNjgcaLbmn472vVXGCdRjJYNLb5UKlfg3HJ_P5VLR5JskyegMPPKCPKuFctygr0PPPf_X_5eJPy-vZMWeTM_pJPowFQfYhDFT1opigHRrVLSka4ZqSzxQN_Dk2aXGJvsPNm-JGbGhwbhHtsu-qu_f_oRUZaDxhIbysBn7gtj31CevYOc85e3Hk8zq74slOFR7dfpdI7ztjHKSQdgknvnYdYlnWIArplpVUiLHyAThI5afcvMPTRh_CcGGsZnEI_L5bi_G5Zu6IiHJngI9dar1O_dede5uRCOEQ9YvrA5rSNOgXTL7IByzOJYx5pTrQ5TmE2jCljC4bpbVILBBkezJFEALMEOA6UCvAjpXN48tEVOF3XY7MboBhHXjWtpsg7gfbNZPHVGPTbaPGepMF3Nj9qttvDLOP8_Y9JdsdC6xlNDH3-uzydAPCcZEbQcwhKrUR6VE1bz-pn1WSAfmaf4FbBuBhvii_sXfpqNlsNm_xdTwQFf6oDspXPvxs9qiVzMwYsfVcoBtx-Sl2mmDiFayMW-A7H09KWOTVlUtZ6w=w958-h719-no

kHEqnj7dzed3eJeB6
DZ6g3r9onsUjxzQA7
confirmed. the QL dont add as much lift to front if you have a V8 they might have made 2 different versions. the biggest benefit is you actually get more articulation. and they fit as is and are way easier to install. plus you get the adjustable of the damper.
if you need new struts and want a lift. great option unless you want to spring swap your existing struts and save alot of money.
if you want just a lift body lift is pretty straight forward under 1.5inches.

So this post was in the FB thread, and I have found it super interesting. Would love to see any details on this if anyone has done it or at a minimum see a write up. I may start this as its own thread.

Using F150 struts on a 4th gen. :wtf:

WoJOdC-iouLqWH0SFg6HdyhCNmGV8DoFNdhj_lHuZuWJkhs8ZOKMjO8dkJuxucyH2qmPjGwpgJe8NMrVtx8U3Ggq64bWWCiydpdk5F9GiIKv56I14zCVkUtuNXE0qaRXAR6cz3ma14_Us4h-khYG-XWURc4JNQJS-bpci39tLg8zW3mOdIu5G9KWiQNzWOj-7oDPII4kpRLFmVqe2uz2NArixOfyfPqnkl509xTgCmS2ilF7kj596gNVGNK0C-lI9Gumpco3YKgKi0MSgiuSHVAYE0G06-lsuog86emsflcUESNESuTSBV3CmqNzNsaENvOG1rr-VkFlG6DlPHHJEFvakxhlAbbC7vIJ0Hp_4zVFLxYN5GlX_YNHrSjLGipcQoRqYX8p65H0MteFVbLblHcYsDjRsofi3xT7yHnapOkxe5ABEaPnUqwfeGHi7aFiSTtBdKcY438zFXrBjGHZbFX9AIgWmZdTRaG4mImZ9sfqc_2zwxkOay5a5sCoUID2lnODxFIS9AgZ6mQtud_HjShtPLX5HufvITy3l_qIzzmx6MY75TojNwzhGQaUQg1wh84s78TBb-7_Zmws8zsK39RqgpvvYwcw5CPud9I3An4eF65rvZeLqgdPSCKcl6aQzfJwuHTx0MQcKoeqUEvHMQ7rxl82yZcutNjNdqO2Adk6B8jjKBApmfg=w518-h920-no

So this post was in the FB thread, and I have found it super interesting. Would love to see any details on this if anyone has done it or at a minimum see a write up. I may start this as its own thread.

Using F150 struts on a 4th gen. :wtf:

WoJOdC-iouLqWH0SFg6HdyhCNmGV8DoFNdhj_lHuZuWJkhs8ZOKMjO8dkJuxucyH2qmPjGwpgJe8NMrVtx8U3Ggq64bWWCiydpdk5F9GiIKv56I14zCVkUtuNXE0qaRXAR6cz3ma14_Us4h-khYG-XWURc4JNQJS-bpci39tLg8zW3mOdIu5G9KWiQNzWOj-7oDPII4kpRLFmVqe2uz2NArixOfyfPqnkl509xTgCmS2ilF7kj596gNVGNK0C-lI9Gumpco3YKgKi0MSgiuSHVAYE0G06-lsuog86emsflcUESNESuTSBV3CmqNzNsaENvOG1rr-VkFlG6DlPHHJEFvakxhlAbbC7vIJ0Hp_4zVFLxYN5GlX_YNHrSjLGipcQoRqYX8p65H0MteFVbLblHcYsDjRsofi3xT7yHnapOkxe5ABEaPnUqwfeGHi7aFiSTtBdKcY438zFXrBjGHZbFX9AIgWmZdTRaG4mImZ9sfqc_2zwxkOay5a5sCoUID2lnODxFIS9AgZ6mQtud_HjShtPLX5HufvITy3l_qIzzmx6MY75TojNwzhGQaUQg1wh84s78TBb-7_Zmws8zsK39RqgpvvYwcw5CPud9I3An4eF65rvZeLqgdPSCKcl6aQzfJwuHTx0MQcKoeqUEvHMQ7rxl82yZcutNjNdqO2Adk6B8jjKBApmfg=w518-h920-no
i love how he snuck in the trans issue. lol

alot of f150 parts should be bolt on for 4th gen Ex and ST. but the F150 has solid rear axles? so that would be interest

Yeah,

No idea what he did with the rear. there was a picture of his EX lifted. But it just looked like any other lifted EX. No close ups of the lift or anything. He did say he had the BTF arms. Which I should probably do. :(

What I am thinking is if you can bolt up F150 struts, then you should be able to bolt up F150 performance struts etc etc. Buying the parts and trying to make them fit sounds like an expensive way to find out lol!

Yeah,

No idea what he did with the rear. there was a picture of his EX lifted. But it just looked like any other lifted EX. No close ups of the lift or anything. He did say he had the BTF arms. Which I should probably do. :(

What I am thinking is if you can bolt up F150 struts, then you should be able to bolt up F150 performance struts etc etc. Buying the parts and trying to make them fit sounds like an expensive way to find out lol!

that would be awesome! see if you can find a junk yard near by and test out your theory! someone on here used extended ball joints instead of the BTF UCAs and saved a TON of money that way. but you need to be handy and trust your welds...

i did the strut space lift and if the struts were any longer it would be a a fight to manhandle /align the bolt holes. YMMV. honestly for that cost a body lift is the way to go.. under $100 for 1.5inch and if you go 3" you wouldnt need more more parts to make it work.

kHEqnj7dzed3eJeB6
DZ6g3r9onsUjxzQA7

I’m in the process of trying to assemble a full set. I noticed recently even the front part numbers RS999924 and RS999939 both state “not available” on Summit Racing. I panicked and picked up a set at a slight premium on eBay, because my large offset wheels rub a little bit at stock height up front. I’ve also managed to find one of the part numbers for the rear set, RS999942 (I forget if it’s for rear left or rear right), and I would love if someone could help me get my hands on RS999927, the only missing piece to the set. I know sometimes amazon won’t ship to Canada from certain sellers, as we order from the “.ca” version of the site. If anyone could track this down for me, I’d transfer them the money plus shipping markup to then ship it here to me in Ontario, Canada. Conversely, if anyone has a slightly used one, or is parting out an older or damaged truck, I’d be willing to buy a second hand piece as well. Thanks for any of your help!

I bought my Rancho quick lifts and was having a hard time finding the backs too. I actually contacted rancho and they informed me that they had been discontinued. None of the employees at rancho could explain why, they all seem very confused by it. When I installed my rear ones I didn't see a difference between each side. If you can just find two rears you might be okay. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Back