Anybody had the Throttle body "flush" @ 30k Svc. pushed on you by dealer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anybody had the Throttle body "flush" @ 30k Svc. pushed on you by dealer?

Reaction score
City, State
Near the Saltwater, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Our 2011 actually has about 32,500 - we live in a rural area and have all service done at a large dealer in a city we frequent almost 3 hours away. I know and kind of like the Service guy that takes care of us so was surprised he was trying to push this BS (my wife was the one who took it in).

I know this is a legit thing done at certain intervals, but never this soon on anything I've ever owned. I told him we never use "cheap gas" (Top Tier mostly) and it has never gotten better gas mileage - did it look exceptionally dirty or gummed up? He said they couldn't really tell, but carbon builds up... blah, blah, blah - $179.00

Then he proceeds to tell me that some plastic Air dam that clips under the engine compartment and is instrumental in keeping everything from overheating is "missing". Not broken or can see where vehicle ran over something and it got scraped off (scratches?) - Missing / and that it is common on new Explorers because the clips are basically crap.

Vehicle has never been repaired or serviced anywhere else. My wife nor I didn't run over anything - was it ever there? Did it just blow off when we were going 80 down the highway? $97 for said Air Dam, but he would do me a favor and not charge labor to install new one with crap clips.

I was trying not to curse at this point. What had been a free oil change (thanks to Ford Owner Advantage) he now wanted almost $300. I called BS on the TB flush (made it clear I felt this was totally unnecessary) and said I don't know where the Air dam went but if it was so damn important put another and maybe they should secure it better. I told my wife when she picked it up to have him show her this piece that so easily comes off. He said he couldn't because, you had to get down on the ground and you know - look up in there.

I hate Car Dealerships -

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At my current mileage rate it will take me another 5.2 years to reach 30k miles so I don't think that this will be much of an issue for me.:) In any case, it should be up to the customer to decide whether the flush should be done or not.
I assume you have the tow package since that lower air intake/deflector was only installed on vehicles with the factory tow package. It is only 'instrumental in cooling' when towing. There are members who remove it when towing is not required.
Perhaps it's time to look at a 'local' dealership.

Peter

I don't have towing package or paperwork yet to see part name or #. I'll be checking it out as soon as my wife gets back home (friends and family live in the city). I've been purchasing cars / trucks since 1987 from this particular dealer for personal and business and if I'm not satisfied with any question I might have somebody is not going to have a pleasant Monday phone call.

Ya, if you don't have the towing package the scoop underneith the engine isn't there. You would also have a hole in the air dam under the bumper.

As for the TB cleaning, I have had it pushed on me, but never at 30,000 miles. I don't think we've ever had it done on the Edge at 100,000 miles and it runs fine...they seem to only push it at what used to be milestone type maintenance intervals like 60,000 and 90,000 miles but never in between. Its not that they check to see if its needed, just try to make additional sales at these intervals. Id just tell them you pass on it if its not too late

If the owners manual doesn't specify something needs to be done, don't do it. If Ford thought the throttle body needed to be "flushed" I would think they would state so. Dealers make a ton of money on those BS snake oil additives, or "conditioners" as they call them. Modern fluids used in vehicles today don't need any conditioning. Waste of your money.

never have your wife drop off or pickup a vehicle for repair, they always rip off females

i was so pissed that they got my sister for a radiator flush, told her from now on I take your truck in for service... (Escape)

Nevermind just saw you have a limited.

I don't have towing package or paperwork yet to see part name or #. I'll be checking it out as soon as my wife gets back home (friends and family live in the city). I've been purchasing cars / trucks since 1987 from this particular dealer for personal and business and if I'm not satisfied with any question I might have somebody is not going to have a pleasant Monday phone call.

Hi OldSchoolDropout,

I wanted to touch base with you and see how things are going with your Explorer. If you need assistance, just send a PM my way.

Crystal

Sounds like a screw job to me.

1.) If you don't have the towing package, you don't have the air scoop - it's to cool the oil when towing.
2.) Your warranty runs until 3 years/ 36k miles. If something fell off the car because the clips are bad - Guess What? sounds to me like a defect that should be fixed on Ford's dime (unless you are past the 3 years)
3.) Print this: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOBEXP/~MUS~LEN/42/11expog4e.pdf and ask your dealer where exactly a "throttle body" flush is recommended. I looked and didn't see it mentioned even once as a regular maintenance.

To be honest with you, I'd be pretty pissed that they were messing around with my throttle body without a defined need either based upon their own investigation that there was a problem or without a recommendation from Ford to do that.

Sounds like a scam job to me. I would demand my money back.

I'm at 39k and havent been mentioned anything related to TB flushing...

Is A Throtle Body Service a Legit Maintenance Procedure ?

When I look at my Ford dealer's maintenance service packages they seem to differ from what is listed in my owner's manual for my 2012 Ford Explorer V6 XLT. I know in the past they have told me that I need to replace my fuel filter on a regular basis yet I'm smart enough to know that the fuel filter is in the tank and not an easily replaced item like they were on past Fords. Stuff like this goes on all the time, and I have to correct the service advisor about everything it seems.

A while back they got me for a throttle body service, I'm not sure if that was really needed, they must have caught me in a weak moment and I had it thrown in with my regular maintenance service. I don't see the service being listed in any of my owner's manual documents. So is this legit or just another dealer trick to extract more money out of my wallet ?. Thanks for any replies. I imagine they'll be recommending it to me again so I would like to be better prepared next time. :)

Un-necessary.

Unless it is outlined in the Scheduled Maintenance section of your owner's manual, it is generally a waste of your $$.

The only disagreement I have is with the drivetrain fluids, and the concept of "lifetime".

Not necessary - at least not by the stealership. It's DIY. Modern vehicles are better equipped to compensate for a throttle body that is becoming dirty. Certainly not needed with such a new car (not sure of your miles).

Throttle body service is essentially charging a lot for a simple cleaning that is most likely not needed.

Take off the air intake hose and look in with a flashlight. I bet it does not need to be cleaned. If it does, do it yourself with a throttle body cleaner and a rag.

However, it is good to keep on top of your throttle body and do a basic spray and wipe clean yourself as excessive carbon and varnish build-up could require removal of the throttle body for effective cleaning, but I would not expect this until well over 100k miles, if not 150k. Basic cleaning every year or two yourself will prevent this from being a problem if you intend to ever put that many miles on the vehicle.

Odds are you would still be fine never cleaning your throttle body.

While good advise and suggestions are important, it is even more critical to provide specific details when offering them.

To wit: With the advent of fuel injection and having no gas (a natural cleaning agent) passing through and over the throttle plates, throttle body dirt build-up was a viable concern. The auto manufacturers realized this and since the mid to late '90s they have used a slick coating inside the throttle body to reduce the deposit build-up as well as increase the amount of time it takes for build-up to occur. What this means in really simple terms is while you can benefit from cleaning the TB (providing you see evidence of dirt), you must ONLY use a cleaner designed and specified safe for coated TBs. If it doesn't say it, Don't use it 'cause it can and will damage the coating. (Think in terms of the clearcoat on your polished aluminum wheels.)

While good advise and suggestions are important, it is even more critical to provide specific details when offering them.

To wit: With the advent of fuel injection and having no gas (a natural cleaning agent) passing through and over the throttle plates, throttle body dirt build-up was a viable concern. The auto manufacturers realized this and since the mid to late '90s they have used a slick coating inside the throttle body to reduce the deposit build-up as well as increase the amount of time it takes for build-up to occur. What this means in really simple terms is while you can benefit from cleaning the TB (providing you see evidence of dirt), you must ONLY use a cleaner designed and specified safe for coated TBs. If it doesn't say it, Don't use it 'cause it can and will damage the coating. (Think in terms of the clearcoat on your polished aluminum wheels.)

That's why I said "throttle body cleaner". It's a specific product. $5 a can.

Sorry. That's the same as saying "vacuum cleaner bag". Sure they are the same thing, but only one will actually work with your specific vacuum cleaner.

Read the labels on these cleaners. If it DOES NOT SPECIFICALLY state "Safe for coated parts.", or "Will not harm teflon coating." It is a sure bet you are taking a risk that it will harm the coating.
Look how many say TB and carb cleaner. Then look to see how many of those make no mention of the coating.

My point is/was simple and it stands as stated. All of your direction and advise was well founded and sound. All I'm offering is that not everyone who reads these posts knows a TB from a fuel injector. Taking the time to add those few words about the coating goes much further in helping to educate everyone with the best information possible. If it does not mention the coating it most likely will harm the coating.

The OP eluded to the fact they thought or suspected that service may not be real or needed, however they did agree to and pay for it. Without trying to or implying the OP lacks knowledge, it seems fairly clear they really weren't sure. Now they know what is legit and what isn't, at least with regard to TB cleaning.

Here's a scenario to ponder: Someone reads your post, goes out and buys a cleaner not specified for coated TB's. They damage the coating and end up having the driveability issues that come with the damaged coating. They then go to a shop, who diagnoses the TB as damaged and they pay to have it replaced.
First and foremost, that affects all of our credibility here. It says 'Don't heed any advise from this site because it is bad advise.' Who does that benefit?

Second, and you need not offer your thoughts on it. How would you feel, personally, if your advise caused that example. My take is you offered friendly and sage advise because you care and wanted to be helpful. How much more valuable is that advise with the specific warning that this takes a specific product.

People can take my thoughts for what they are - good advice.

Any TB cleaner made today is going to be safe with any TB coating and I specifically stated using a TB cleaner. However, just about every combined TB/carb cleaner I am aware of today states on the can it is safe for coated throttle plates. Your concern was a valid concern about 10 years ago, but not today IMO.

I have no concern with the advice I offered. I don't take any advice I read on forums as gospel. Over the years I have done a lot of self-taught work on my cars. I have done it well by reading the advice of others and doing my own research.

If the OP is not comfortable with working on his car by reading some advice here and doing some other research online for said work, he should stick with a mechanic - and particularly a good independent shop and not the dealer for non-warranty work.

For general information:

Here are two pictures of the "missing" part (scoop) mentioned in the beginning of this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_6019.jpg
    IMG_6019.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_6021.jpg
    IMG_6021.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 298

...but its a non tow Limited, the scoop isnt part of his car...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

His post was a very belated one in regards to his own initial one posted on 02-23-2013 to begin this thread. I also was a bit confused on what it had to do with the more recent posts on the thread 'Throttle Body' topic.

Peter

Back