Anyone buy a 2016 Through the Costco Program? Better deal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone buy a 2016 Through the Costco Program? Better deal?

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
I'm toying with the idea of a 2016. Good incentives and WTF, I've lived through the BS MFT for 5 years, the pricing of a 16 vs 17 would make up for no Sync 3.

Anyone buy a 2016 Explorer recently through the Costco program? There are some big discounts being offered locally by dealers in my area anyhow.
Just wondering if the Costco program really provides a discount that no one else can easily get.

thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the Costco program is fine as long as the dealer you end up with is worth a crap. Two years ago I tried the Costco program and it was a PIA. The dealer that contacted me was about 60 miles away. We have a large Ford dealer about four miles and another about 10 miles from where I live. The sales person that contacted me could not find the vehicle I wanted, the local dealer did. She would not call back and was not helpful at all. I sent Costco an email complaining and they never responded. I am sure there are plenty of good experiences with the Costco program, I just did not have one.

Costco member here and I will try the auto program.

I've researched it on more than a couple of websites and there's a few things I've learned based on others' response:

1.) It's good if you're the type of person who doesn't want to haggle or, like me, simply bad at it. It's pretty much no-nonsense. Will it get you below invoice? Probably not but the people able to get that low are hardball players who, I'm guessing, probably negotiate stuff for a living lol

2.) There are good experiences and there are bad but the majority of comments seem to be satisfied. As a matter of fact, I noticed less complaints on newer feedback than from feedback dating a few years old, so it seems Costco is listening.

3.) The one piece of advice, which I've read from more than one member is to simply go to the dealership of your choice and once you feel you've got an agreeable price, initiate the Costco Auto program and compare notes.

That's pretty much what I got out of it and will give it a shot myself later this Summer.

GrafX, I think your analogy is pretty much bang on, Costco Auto is for those who perhaps don't enjoy the interaction with a dealer.

Do you get a great deal?.....well it's kinda subjective.

You're likely not going below invoice, your not touching Holdback, so is that still a good deal?.....well it's better than walking in off the street and getting MSRP.

I kind of equate it to people who say that MFT has been great for them since it came out in 2011. If you're a techno peasant and your interaction with MFT ends at turning on the FM radio to the preset country music channel, then ya, MFT has pretty much been a great deal for you.

In Canada the best deal out there is "A" Plan plus Costco cash and delivery allowance which happens every summer.

I kind of equate it to people who say that MFT has been great for them since it came out in 2011. If you're a techno peasant and your interaction with MFT ends at turning on the FM radio to the preset country music channel, then ya, MFT has pretty much been a great deal for you.
You had to go to MFT, Sarge?:D :dpchug:

I just about didn't go for a 2016 because of it. In the end, the cost savings vs. how much I really worry about their vehicle electronics tipped the scale in favor of buying now.

I ended up finding the vehicle I wanted, then calling my friend, who I bought the 2011 from. He'll trade for it if it's available, and I will get as good a deal as if I did the Costco thing.

I was just wondering if they (Costco dealers) did anything special price-wise. Didn't seem to.

I also got a $500 Private Cash card in the mail the other day. And I'll take the 0% financing vs. the cash incentives. It's worth about $500 incremental vs. what the market rate lending is around here.

I'm getting a little over $15K for my 2011 XLT with 98K on the odometer. That was the tipping point. I either traded now, or drove it til the wheels fell off. Ultimately, I had enough early model concerns, and little maintenance items coming up, that I chose to just trade in now.

The vehicle I'm getting is pretty much a carbon copy of the '11. I did have to take a couple options I didn't want - Nav & power lift gate - as those were on all the Tow Package equipped vehicles around here.

Oh well. I'm getting a good deal on the vehicle overall, and my negotiating was calling my friend, catching up on the family while he clicked keys on the computer, and talking motorcycles.

Hopefully he can trade for the one I want. If so, I'll pick it up on Saturday.

Ur right, sorry to beat that dead horse again!

I was going to use Costco when I bought our Platinum in January. The dealership that I actually ended up buying from beat their price by a lot.

Costco runs their $1000 promo few times a year here and I took advantage of that promo, along with employee pricing for a total of $7000 in discounts (not including dealership discounts); when I bought my Sport last year.

Costco runs their $1000 promo few times a year here and I took advantage of that promo, along with employee pricing for a total of $7000 in discounts (not including dealership discounts); when I bought my Sport last year.

What did your dealership add to Employee Pricing and Costco Cash?

Delivery Allowance?

FALS?

What did your dealership add to Employee Pricing and Costco Cash?

Delivery Allowance?

FALS?

Dealer matched Costco's discount of $1000 and threw in a 3M clear vinyl wrap for the front end (~$800 value, as per invoiced they received from the tint shop).

Dealer matched Costco's discount of $1000 and threw in a 3M clear vinyl wrap for the front end (~$800 value, as per invoiced they received from the tint shop).

Thats a good deal then.

The COSTCO dealer in my area is the one I was going to use anyway. I've ordered a new Explorer through the program. Dealer won't tell me what the discount is until they have a VIN to work with, but "it will be below MSRP." [Dealer also couldn't or wouldn't tell me when the 2016s stopped production, or when the 2017s start production (I'm told by my employer, who is a large Fleet customer, that 2017s start Monday 6/6). Confidence inspiring, isn't it? :)]

I'll believe the value of the program when I see it.

Welcome to the Forum donroot3. :wave:
I haven't checked the Ford production schedule lately but June 6th was the 2017 production start date it showed when I did. That date has also been mentioned several times in threads in the 'Order Status' sub forum.

Peter

Updating #12, yesterday my sales minion got back to me saying "no build date scheduled." I've been completely unimpressed with the Dealer's attitude about the whole deal, so I looked around. Last night we bought a new '15 Limited off another dealer's lot at a good price, in the color (Deep Impact Blue) that I wanted in the first place.

So no, in my case the Costco program didn't make a difference.

Updating #12, yesterday my sales minion got back to me saying "no build date scheduled." I've been completely unimpressed with the Dealer's attitude about the whole deal, so I looked around. Last night we bought a new '15 Limited off another dealer's lot at a good price, in the color (Deep Impact Blue) that I wanted in the first place.

So no, in my case the Costco program didn't make a difference.
There are many members who have placed orders for a 2017 and who have not yet received any build dates yet. So you weren't alone by any means.

Peter

There are many members who have placed orders for a 2017 and who have not yet received any build dates yet. So you weren't alone by any means.

Peter

Peter,

I realize that. My issues were (1) the dealer led me on by having me thinking that I could order a 2016 a full month after cut-off, (2) not being forthcoming that there were option package differences in the 2017 XLT products once they finally acknowledged that it would not be a 2016, (3) not being forthcoming with a written acknowledgement that I had even placed an order, and (4) at no point was any kind of number or percentage discussed as to what the Costco discount would be.

I have informed Costco. My advice to any San Diego area list members considering a purchase is to be careful when working with the dealer located in Zip Code 92109.

Peter,

I realize that. My issues were (1) the dealer led me on by having me thinking that I could order a 2016 a full month after cut-off, (2) not being forthcoming that there were option package differences in the 2017 XLT products once they finally acknowledged that it would not be a 2016, (3) not being forthcoming with a written acknowledgement that I had even placed an order, and (4) at no point was any kind of number or percentage discussed as to what the Costco discount would be.

I have informed Costco. My advice to any San Diego area list members considering a purchase is to be careful when working with the dealer located in Zip Code 92109.
Acknowledged. If you are interested in the 2017 Order Guide, it can be found here if you haven't already seen it. Good luck.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2017-order-guide-available.443431/

Peter

Back