Anyone Done Mud Flaps? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Done Mud Flaps?

DiGiornoRisingCrust

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I really want some, and I've been looking at the OEM molded Ford mud flaps that say "Explorer" on them. The only thing holding me back is that they aren't no drill.

Is the installation very hard? Do I have to remove the tires? I'm guessing I can just turn the front wheels to give me more room there. If anyone has found some that are no drill please let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’d pull the tires at all four corners. No reason to try and cut corners when you are drilling into the body.

There are no existing trim screws or tabs in the renders that can be repurposed?

There is one clip that I could use at each wheel, the clip holds part of the plastic wheel arches in. I can use that, but I would need at least 2 screws per mudflaps to make sure they are secure.

Mine came with them. Just a few screws drilled in the inner fender. No big deal. Just measure and mark them so they all turn out the same. Only downside is they don't have enough play for wide tires and spacers. You can't really move them out further. I've been meaning to figure out a replacement.

Hi! I recently installed the OEM molded flaps / splash guards (Ford part number 6L2Z-16A550-AA) on my '10 Eddie Bauer. I made a (long-winded) video to share with anyone considering doing this or having difficulty. The instructions don't mention Eddie Bauer but I ended up using the XLT hole-drilling (through the flap) template for the front and Limited for the rear. Limited would probably have been fine for the front, too, but I was figuring things out as I went along.

I'm glad I did it. Wasn't difficult other than making decisions on which hole-drilling template to use. I only took the rear tires off; plenty of room to work in front with the wheel turned. They seem to be helping with less mud and sand hitting the body. I got new tires over the summer and they tend to throw up more gravel than the old ones and these seem to help with that slightly. Winter will tell how much they prevent road salt residue from building up on the doors.

How do you like them from an appearance standpoint only?

Also, do you think the custom molded ones are necessary, or will universal ones fit ok?

That's a clean install. I'm planning to get mud flaps for my rig also.

Just got the Ford flaps on amzn for a great price. Was going to do them this weekend, but was way laid. Thanks for the info and video. I have an EB as well. I'll do a close inspect on the XLT vs Limited info as I have rear climate, so not sure if that is the difference or if the power running boards are. Will update...

I've put mud flaps on vehicles before - but never felt a need for the Ex. The running boards are excellent mud flaps. What am I missing here?

I've put mud flaps on vehicles before - but never felt a need for the Ex. The running boards are excellent mud flaps. What am I missing here?

In my case, they look cool (but then again so do mud splashes) but if I decide to get a new muffler and do a side exhaust I’ll need them to protect the tip and keep it clean.

Got mine on, fronts easy without pulling wheels, rear needs wheels off . Used the XLT holes for the fronts and the Limited ones for the rear. Found that the little hook on the Driver's rear goes 'behind' the wheel well liner due to that liner's slight offset. Noticed a big reduction in spray up with 'em on, now to get all the tar of the rear quarters, the fender flares and the running boards - it really shows on the Pueblo Gold EB paint.

Back