• Register Today It's free!

Anyone done the spindle flip?????

GPRACING

Reaction score
City, State
Summerville,SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0
Ive heard the theory,but havent seen it done.Will it work with an 18 inch wheel?It looks like it would be mighty tight with a 18 inch wheel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think they had it all wrong in that thread.You dont actually flip the spindle.You mount the bottom of the spindle on top of the a-arm instead of the bottom of the a-arm.You have to put the lower ball-joint in right-side up in the lower a-arm,then machine the spindle so the ball-joint will go in fom the oppisite direction.What this does is raise the spindle up,thus lowering the truck.

if the ball joint mounts with a tapered end, and you machine it out, you are totally disregarding the point of the taper and using a cylindrical hole, not the taper, thus possible weakening the desing altogether

My thought was to weld it up and re-machine it,or drill it out and put a tapered bushing in it.Just a thought.

ok, supposedly this is a common thing with the f-150 crowd. there is a guy on here 00ranger, that did this to his 97 using djm ranger uppers but he never would post a pic for me. and he also raised the upper arms up 2 inches.

i dont know if the ball joint can simply be installed upside down like that??
i think i am just goin to rase my uppers up 3 inches and ride (to hell with it). if it wears out the tires i'll just by new ones :eek:

lo xploder said:
that did this to his 97 using djm ranger uppers but he never would post a pic for me. and he also raised the upper arms up 2 inches.

Up to 97 the rangers used the I-beam front suspension design. That would work on a 1st gen explorer, but not any 95-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo xploder
that did this to his 97 using djm ranger uppers but he never would post a pic for me. and he also raised the upper arms up 2 inches.

Up to 97 the rangers used the I-beam front suspension design. That would work on a 1st gen explorer, but not any 95-up.

WHAT? he has a 97 explorer, that he used 2000 ranger arms on, along with the ball joint flip, and he raised the upper arms up 2 inches

sorry, I must have misread it.

I did a little research and yes this is a VERY common practice on the F-150s.Id like to find a spare set of spindles & A-arms to try this on.I dont doubt that it will work,I doubt an 18 inch wheel will clear & I would hate to modify my spindles only to find that my new saleen wheels wont fit.If anyone has some spare spindles & a-arms let me know.

why go lower than you can with torsion twist with a static drop? i'm already as low as i'd ever want to be up front that way, and it just seems like the ride and handling would both actually be hurt by going much lower.

yes you can do the spindle flip if you look in the thread camber solution i think i explained in there how to do it...........f 150's do it all the time, rangers do it all the time and so can an explorer..........ive done them.....and am currently riding on a 97 spindle flip explorer right now.......pictures of it finished are on there too i think

hey im tired of everyone askin how this can work and doubtin it will and wanting me to type up directions........they are very complicatin and very long to type up.....so its just easier if they call....but if you are series about doin it and want to know how and ect. then email me at mdj1rngr@cox.net and well discuss it and/or ill give my number and talk over the phone which i prefer its easier and less confusing
Thanks

another note what they said in that spindle flip discussion is wrong........i didnt read word for word and not every page but they were wrong about how to do the stuff

i posted picts of the finished product but not the spindle flip.......theres really nothing to see i explained it in the camber solution thread my last post i belive........also theres only enough room to raise the upper arm 2"

00Rngr: ok , did u have any problems with the ranger arms as far as caster problems like James t did when he tried to use some ranger arms(he extended his 1 inch) ??
or is it just as simple as putting them on welding in a ball joint and raising them up 2 inches?
last question i promise

"last ?" lol....i dont mind helping folks as long as they arent annoying and rude (no offense "like Hart") but you havent been.......yeah i dont understand and have tried to figure out why James had caster problems.......caster really isnt that big of a factor unless its positive or set to 0, which would be really hard......and another thing camber doesnt affect caster so there isnt a real explaination as to why James had problems, even with the extention, unless something was extremely wrong somewhere. but yes you can order the upper arms from djm (2000 ranger 2wd ext. sport, to be exact is what i used) they should all be the same but just incase thats what i used, i installed mooog balljoints in them bc you get more movement. Raised the upper arm with 2x4 tubing 3/16" thick i believe (2" high). Ok heres the tricky part i used ranger balljoints which is what you are goin to have to use, the overall diameter of the balljoint(the width) that attaches to the spindle is smaller than an explorer balljoint. It will seem to fit fine in the spindle and lock into place but its really not its loose if you hit it kinda hard with a hammer (other words like hitting a pot hole). This cannot stay that way or youll end up rolling it bc it rips out. To fix that problem, on the balljoint, on the top part meaning the part that sits into the spindle above the lock in bolt, lay a weld bead all the way around it, and so forth on the bottom of the balljoint that fits into the spindle below the locking bolt. Grind the weld down until it fits snug into the explorer spindle, in other words i being the same size in diameter as the explorer balljoint...................ok this is alot of stuff so read it carefully and reread it before asking ? again bc it should click with you unless you are totally confused.....let me know through my email with any further ?'s please...ill respond better and quicker on there. let me know!
Thanks,
Matt

I know how to do it,I just want to know for SURE that 18 inch wheels will clear.I just bought wheels & tires and Im not trying to buy bigger.Id like to do the spindle flip because it will lower the truck while the suspension travel stays the same(and ride).00Rngr,have you tried 18s on yours?Do you have any spare spindles & lowers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you know how to do it then you dont need extra stuff to try it on. also knowin how to do it and knowing how to do it are different. (like lots of folks can k now how to bag a truck but then on the other hand if attempted it would be a disater) this is something really major and ect. so if you just know how to do it then i wouldnt attempt iot but if you can do it then go for it, its worth it. Also i never have done it to a regular suspension vehicle and rode like that, ive been always bagged on mine and the others ive done. Not to hate but what they had said before in this topic and about the other thread about this topic about how it was done was wrong. let me know if you need understandin or help on how to do it bc ill explain. but you dont swap spindles or actually flip it or anything like that. just to clarify, bc alot of what ive read they werent even close as to how to do it............... if it is a flat on the inside 18, and not a lip/step up on the inside 18. mine are 18's and i had to cut nearly most my control arm so small and reinforce it bc my 18's have a lip or step up on the inside of them. it still works fine but it varies for wheels. my other set of 18's i had on my ranger i had not a problem with and didnt have to cut them any bc they were just flat all the way across on the inside and didnt have a lip. Get it now. kinda confusing but let me know ill try another way of explination.

Back