Anyone gone off-roading with a 2011? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone gone off-roading with a 2011?

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
Hey all,
Just wondering if any of you have gone off roading with the 11 explorer and how did it performed out there on those trails.

Mods: I did use the search function.

-Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i second this !

I haven't done anything serious off-road but I was the first down a "trail" in a long time. I could only see the trail because the grass was a bit shorter or bent. It was mostly dry ground but i did get into some pretty squishy mud- and it made no difference at all to the Ex.

My only dislike was the front overhang. I know it is short but I haven't developed a sense of where that front bumper begins so it is always a bit "interesting" maneuvering in tight spaces-- when going forward. Put it in reverse and everything is EASY with the reverse camera. Man, that thing saves me time and muddy feet over and over again. Have I mentioned (yes) how awesome it is for backing up to a trailer? Same thing for making a 6-point turnaround.

I've had my XLT out a couple of times. Yesterday was the dirtiest. Had to use hill descent down 200' of rocky trail and then mud & rut mode across a flooded field. Stupidly stopped because I couldn't see and get her stuck. We were almost to the hubs in fine silty mud. Used snow mode to get her loose, switched to mud and PUNCHED IT in reverse back the way we came using the reverse cam.

it was awesome.

Back