1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Anyone gone off-roading with a 2011?

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by NHarris, June 21, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. NHarris

NHarris Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Gillette, Wyoming
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
    Hey all,
    Just wondering if any of you have gone off roading with the 11 explorer and how did it performed out there on those trails.

Mods: I did use the search function.

-Nate

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. alakers

alakers Active Member

City, State:
    casper, wyo
    '94 4WD
    i second this !

4. RandyH2

RandyH2 Active Member

City, State:
    MI
    '11 Limited AWD
    I haven't done anything serious off-road but I was the first down a "trail" in a long time. I could only see the trail because the grass was a bit shorter or bent. It was mostly dry ground but i did get into some pretty squishy mud- and it made no difference at all to the Ex.

My only dislike was the front overhang. I know it is short but I haven't developed a sense of where that front bumper begins so it is always a bit "interesting" maneuvering in tight spaces-- when going forward. Put it in reverse and everything is EASY with the reverse camera. Man, that thing saves me time and muddy feet over and over again. Have I mentioned (yes) how awesome it is for backing up to a trailer? Same thing for making a 6-point turnaround.

5. dco43054

dco43054 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    cmh
    16 XLT
  6. scoobycarolan

scoobycarolan Member

City, State:
    Troy, NY
    '11 XLT
    I've had my XLT out a couple of times. Yesterday was the dirtiest. Had to use hill descent down 200' of rocky trail and then mud & rut mode across a flooded field. Stupidly stopped because I couldn't see and get her stuck. We were almost to the hubs in fine silty mud. Used snow mode to get her loose, switched to mud and PUNCHED IT in reverse back the way we came using the reverse cam.

it was awesome.