Anyone have experience with installing a tranny rebuild kit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone have experience with installing a tranny rebuild kit?

CarlosHRNYC

Reaction score
City, State
Pine Bush, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLS
I have a master rebuild kit I purchased for my 5R55S and I just want to make sure I hit all the seals, gaskets, etc. If anyone has done this before I'd love to hear how your experience went and if you have any tips/suggestions.

I have already pulled the tranny and have some hard parts on order.

I also have a Superior Shift Kit that I plan to install in the valve body but for that I have detailed instructions that came with the kit and there are plenty of videos on YouTube that show the necessary steps.

There's not much I can find online on rebuild kits. I do have the ATSG Tranny Manual for the 5R55S so I can at least follow that.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What brand kit? Change all 3 bands, front pump bushing, servo pistons and ck for wear on the servo pin bores. New solenoid block and remanufactured torque converter. Shift kit is good as it addresses the line pressure relief valve. ATSG is a basic reference manual but not model year specific. Good luck and have fun!

Isn't it always about having fun, Transman?? :D thanks for the reply.

Wellington 5R55S/W Deluxe Transmission Rebuild Kit 2002-ON
Mfg #16008G

I have the bands, pump bushings and seal, solenoid on the way. Is the torque converter a requirement?

With my rebuild kit it just seems I have a lot more bushings, o-rings, checkcballs, seals and gaskets than what my tranny has.

I'm guessing it's to cover parts from the S & W.

The torque converter is #1 on the list to get replaced. Always. It is just a big trash can you can’t clean out with out cutting it apart. Also these units were plagued with converter failures in the early models. You will have more parts in the softparts kit than needed. I looked at the spec on the kit you purchased and believe you will fine. For me as doing it everyday and having to warranty the job I have certain brand parts that I only use for diffrent units. The thing I find with kits like you purchased are the use of no name off shore parts. Alto clutch’s are fine,it’s the bands and filter that are a bit questionable in my opinion. You will also want to get the molded piston for the forward drum as I don’t se it in your kit. Also as Brooklyn Bay pointed out you will need to figure a way to compress the return springs for the drums without bending or damaging them for disassembly as well as assembly. Care must be used also for lip seals and sealing rings as not to damage them as you will have to purchase another OH kit (softparts, gasket and seal kit) as most are not sold separate.
Also be sure to flush the cooler and cooler lines before installing transmission.

These are all great tips. I'll be sure to add this to my checklist.

And yes, I had cooler line flush on my list of things to do so I'm glad to see I'm on the right path.

As far as tools, what I don't have in my shop, hopefully AutoZone or my local tool rental shop will have.

I'll keep you posted as I progress.

Thanks TransMan and BrooklynBay!

Any questions please feel free to ask. In fact I have one on my bench this morning and could take pictures if needed.

Awesome!

By the way, how do I post pics on here? I yry but I must be doing something wrong .

I believe I can upload pictures because I signed up to the Elite Explorers membership. May be someone will chime in and be able to help you with that.

Only elite members are able to upload photos directly to this site. Photos could be linked or embedded from another site if you want to choose a hosting site. Photo Bucket was free at one time but not anymore.

Hi guys,

Just figured I'd give an update on where I am with my rebuild.
  • I did the Superior shift kit without any problems.
  • Changed all my seals
  • My new Overdrive Planetary and Sun Gears came in so I'll swap the old ones when I put her back together
  • New Torque Converter arrived
  • I also ordered a Servo Bore Repair kit... this is where I am now.
I'm planning to drill out the bores and tap in new sleeves. My question is on the servos themselves.

From what I understand, the servo pins are made of hardened steel and it is the bores themselves that get worn. So, would I be able to reuse my original servos after the sleeves are in? I've inspected them and the pistons and rubber seals show no wear whatsoever. I'm assuming the answer is yes. I just want to make sure.

Also, like a doofus, I mixed up the snap rings for the Direct, Forward and Coast Clutch Packs and now my clearances are off. I noticed that one of the 3 snap rings is thicker than the other two. Which drum does that belong to? If I get that right I think my clearances will come out fine.

Carlos,

As I am preparing to do the same rebuild as you very soon, I'm wondering how you plan to drill out the servo bores - did you get the bore kit with the guides for this?

Cheers,
Dan B.

Yes, it's the Northland Transmission kit.

It has the drill bits and guides. I got a used kit off of eBAY

Thanks for the info. I've emailed a few shops to see if they have the ability to do the bore and insert and have yet to hear back. I really didn't want to shell out for one of these kits along with a TC alignment tool, both of which seem to be expensive one-time use only tools (hopefully!) but I will keep an eye on eBay should these pop up in the future.

Yes the stock servo pistons will still work. The diffrent thickness snap rings are used to adjust pack clearance. The forward clutch snap ring is diffrent larger diameter. Stack them together and the odd size one out of 3 will be your forward.
Also when you are done with the reamer kit and would be interested in selling it please let me know. Got another shop that has me do their cases that would be interested in the tool.

Update:

I figured I'd give everyone a heads up as to where I am on my rebuild.
  • Last weekend, I drilled new servo bores and fitted them with brass bushings I ordered from Rotunda.
  • This weekend I reassembled my transmission following Hiram Gutierrez' youtube videos on the 5R55S teardown and rebuild.
  • I already installed the shift kit by Superior a few weeks ago so I reattached the valve body and torqued to spec.
  • Reverse servo and new filter have been reattached and torqued to spec.
  • I ordered a new torque converter as well (thanks TransMan)
  • I still need to flush out the cooler lines
I'm now on the solenoid pack. I want to buy a new one but I understand there is an update for the 5R55S (I have a 2004 Ex). I can't confirm that the ones I see online match my 4L2P 7G391 AA. Anyone with a lead?
Also, would it be a good idea if I also install a transmission cooler to help keep the oil cool? The Superior shift kit already increases oil flow but I'm still concerned about temperature inside the unit. When I opened up my tranny, it looked like something blocked oil flow and caused my OD planetary and sun gears to burn out (literally disintegrate)

Outside of my transmission rebuild, I now have to shift focus to the frame on my Explorer and the 4 crossmember bolts that snapped when I took the damn thing out a few months ago. I am looking at drilling those out and inserting heli-coils.

Once all that is done, all I have left is to reinstall the transmission back into my Explorer then put the drivetrain and exhaust together.

Transman: send me a pm if you are still interested in my Servo Bore Kit (it worked flawlessly).

I wanted to get a replacement block but didn't want one "used" or reman. So, I purchased a "new, updated" solenoid block from an ebay member named Electrical Advantage if my memory is fine. I was under the impression that these should be dry and I received one that had fluid on/in it. I also noticed that there was no longer a FoMoCo logo and Ford part number on it; where the logo and number should have been looked like a pin had punched the plastic multiple times thus removing the markings. I questioned the seller about this and they said that Bosch has to remove the part number and logo, some legal issue about it. Therefore, you might not be able to find a new replacement by part number. They also assured me they all come pre-soaked in fluid especially since they're tested. The block looked like it was factory packaged so I went with it.

First block I installed caused a multitude of problems including loss of reverse and other forward gears. I was able to exchange it, no questions asked, for another one that worked fine.

Also, your vehicle should already have a cooler, I've heard of others installing a second one. I have never had any issues with the OEM cooler but after someone slammed into the front passenger side of my truck, it was replaced with one that I am suspecting has less capacity since now all of a sudden I'm having transmission issues that I never had before. I would also like to know the answer to this question, as I was debating about installing a larger capacity or two coolers since I also sometimes tow.

If the servo bore kit doesn't sell, I would be interested. I am looking for a shop locally to do the bore so I don't have to spend money on tools to just resell, as you are doing, but so far I have come up empty.

UPDATE: I just wanted to thank transman304 and BrooklynBay for helping me throughout my transmission rebuild. I am happy to say that I am back on the road!

Sorry for the delay since my last post but I had to take a break from my project due to personal commitments mid April through May. All in all, it was a hard but overall great learning experience for me. I couldn't have done it without you guys and the additional help from YouTube!

I took plenty of pictures to document my steps. Perhaps I could help others in the same predicament in the future.

Thank God for this forum! You guys rock!

transman304: I have the bores if you want them

CarlosHRNYC

As I PMed in March, I'd be interested in the bore kit, I guess now if transman doesn't want it. Also any alignment tool you may have that you no long want/need.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back