• Register Today It's free!

Anyone have this 5.0 exhaust?

LLSTRIKES96

Reaction score
City, State
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I know there are a bunch of guys running dual exhaust on their Xs with a dual exit muffler laying horizontaly and having two pipes running out either side of the back. But is ayone running a setup with two single in single out mufflers hanging vertically side by side and running pipes straight out? Do you all think it could fit in there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can, but they will drag EVERYTHING. i did this with two flowmasters, had shop install them side by side laying vertically instead of horizontally. they told me that it was gonna drag, but i had to have duals and i already had the 2 mufflers (didnt want to buy the 2 in 2 out when i already had 2 seperates from a past uncompleted project.) they drug coming off the rack, as i pulled out of the shop, as i pulled in my driveway, etc. dont do it! i took it back the next day with my head down. i am lowered 2", if your not you wont drag as bad, but theyre gonna drag none the less. i now have 1 3" in and out with a dual 2 1/4 to single 3" Y in front of it. actually sounds better (to me) and i noticed no power loss.

Hey, thanks for the advice!

If you want something done right, and you want it to look nice and be tastefully done, just run a single pipe.

I wanted true dual Borlas SO BAD! I even had them ordered and everything, but they just plain WOULD NOT FIT. The ONLY way I could've had dual pipes run is if they were like 2" pipes, I I think thats, well, gay. So I had them use a Flowmaster 3" Y-pipe into a single center in/out 3" Flowmaster 50 Series Deltaflow muffler, 3" pipe and 3.5" tip. Explorers, well mine anyway, have a heat shield underneath, and if you screw with running duals the heat shield will most likely have to be cut, plus, the dual pipes end up running very close to the spare (which could cause big problems, especially if you have a 16" spare). With my setup, all the heat shields are left intact.

My advice is, don't get duals just for the sake of getting duals.

You can get duals if u want it....I checked it out w/ a guy i know that does only custom exhaust work and he said he could do the whole job all parts included w/ 3" pipes shootin out for $375...This summer ill be gettin mine put it...Goin w/ the 40 series flowmasters

I have the SOHC and I had a dual in/out 50 series delta flow put on with 2.25" pipes. It fit fine, runs fine, sounds just alright. The muffler shop did it for only $250 out the door.

Back