anyone know how to get rid of "oil change required"? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone know how to get rid of "oil change required"?

interceptor06

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Explorer Limited
Everytime I start the Explorer, I get the message "oil change required". I read the manual and set my oil life to 100%. I still get the message in red everytime I start the rig, and I can't view anything else until I push reset. Anyone know how to get the message reset?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try holding the reset button down. My 05 was tricky but I fiddle with it until I got it to reset. I want to say that you need to let the computer go through it self check and hit reset when it gets to oil change required.

I tried that. It clears the message out and the display turns green again. But the next time I turn the vehicle on, the oil change required display comes on again.

Press setup, run system check - I think you press reset to start the system check, it will run through a bunch of BS then it will give you the option of resetting the oil change by holding reset.

bojans said:
Press setup, run system check - I think you press reset to start the system check, it will run through a bunch of BS then it will give you the option of resetting the oil change by holding reset.

That's exactly it in the system check it will prompt you to HOLD if new to reset oil to 100%

Thanks guys. I think I got it reset. I can't imagine how the soccer moms would figure that one out.

this just happened to me 3 days ago @ 4750 miles, even though i got the first oil change at 3,000.

i really hope this isn't the result of a dealership oversight, but since i went through phil long, it most likely is.

Which oil-specs are you guys running after the first swap ? Drivers book says 5W-20 for the V8, can´t find any 5W-20 over here in GE. Any advice or experience ?

Crizz said:
Which oil-specs are you guys running after the first swap ? Drivers book says 5W-20 for the V8, can´t find any 5W-20 over here in GE. Any advice or experience ?

10-30w is pretty close

I am running 5w20 full synthetic.

Make sure you run 5w20, I have heard using a different viscosity can cause some significant damage. Ask your dealer to get you some 5w20 if you can't find it at the stores.

I beg to differ. 10/30 versus 5-20 is not going to cause significant damage.

Guess 10w-30 or 0w-30 ( Winter ) will be best choice, esp. over here in GE w/o 55 mph-limits ;)

Guess the use in the states and in europe are very different and can´t be compared, so a swap to a "x"w-30 shouldn´t cause damages. A 15w-Oil would be more problematically.

I stand corrected - From Amsoils website

One of the main reasons 5W-20 was specified for your engine is to increase the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) reported to the Federal Government. CAFE is the combined average fuel economy of all of a vehicle manufacturers product line. Minimum CAFE levels are specified by the Federal Government. In order for a vehicle manufacturer to continue selling profitable large trucks and SUV's, which typically have poor fuel mileage ratings, as compared to smaller cars, and still meet mandated CAFE requirements, they must also sell enough of the smaller cars which have much better fuel economy ratings to offset the poor fuel economy ratings of the larger vehicles. The change to a 5W-20 oil will allow and an auto companies overall CAFE to increase by a very small amount, typically in the tenths of a mile per gallon range. 5W-20 oil is a lighter viscosity than a 5W-30 oil and therefore has less internal engine frictional losses, or less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain, which in turn promotes increased fuel economy. This increased fuel economy is virtually undetectable to the average motorist without the use of specialized engine monitoring and testing equipment under strictly controlled test track driving when compared to a 5W-30, 10W-30 or a 0W-30 viscosity motor oil

Did I get that right ? The only reason for 5w-20 was an extremly little bit better fuel economy ? Here in GE we look at fuel economy, too - fuel is more expensive than in the US ( though the fuel prices raised the last time dramatically ).

If it doesn´t take any negative effect to the engine, it will be much easier for me to swap to xx-w-30 spec. Lotta guys over here that bought the new Mustang have the same prob getting the 5w-20 oil, and most swapped to a 0w-30 or 5w-30 - but no experiences till now ( guess they spend more time with keeping the Ponys clean than riding ´em .... ).

My guess is the average owner would not see a signifigant (sp) increase/decrease in fuel mileage in the change, but in a FLEET application you may.
I used the 5w/30 or 10w/30 in the Escape and probably will with the Explorer as well, personally i like a little more oil there to protect the engine.

Back