Anyone know what part this is?.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone know what part this is?....

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
Anyone know what part this is? Pic attached...

It's the black cylinder thing on the firewall of the engine compartment. It's to the right of the heater box directly behind the engine. It has a vacuum line running from it to a tee fitting. The vacuum line going to it is broke.
It wasn't broke before. I noticed it when I was looking for the cause of a gas smell I'm getting inside the X after I drive for a while. I think this is the cause. I think the piece has something to do with emissions?
Here's a pic. It's the circled thing.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/166437338/238895438ijdLhy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't speak for the '94, but on my '92, that vacuum reservoir is only used to operate part of the HVAC controls for the cab. The "tee" thingy also has a one way valve in it. I'm not sure that the vacuum line itself is causing the fuel smell, but whatever is causing the fuel smell could be the cause of the broken vacuum line. 1st thing I would do is plug that vacuum line and see if the fuel smell goes away.

Bump

Maybe the gas vapor canister for emissions. It collects the vapors coming off the gas tank, and takes care of them with charcoal in the canister. That would explain the gas smell.

Baydog,

On mine (98) the gas vapor canister is directly above where the spare tire is located (if you were to remove the spare). I know because I saw it when replacing the shocks this weekend. Not sure on the 94, but I would bet the canister would be located near the tank...

-=c=- said:
Baydog,

On mine (98) the gas vapor canister is directly above where the spare tire is located (if you were to remove the spare). I know because I saw it when replacing the shocks this weekend. Not sure on the 94, but I would bet the canister would be located near the tank...

nope it isnt the cannister under the spare tire... that showed up after the first gen explorers

Still Don't know what it is or what it does. However I was able to get a new vacuum line from Ford for $22. It's the whole line from that canister thing including the t-fitting for the other 2 lines. I'll put it in this weekend.

After looking at your picture, that is definitely just a vacuum reservoir. On my '92, it is only used in controlling a small portion of the interior HVAC controls. If you follow the three legs of the tee:
One goes to the vacuum reservoir
Another will go to the vacuum tree
the third will go to whatever is vacuum controlled. If there are no other tees before it goes into the wiring harness, then it's just going to go to the HVAC controls under the dash. If a '94 is like my '92, the only thing it controls is the recirculation/outside air door that is only used in switching from the "panel" to "max ac" positions.

Back