anyone mount an ac compressor to use as air compressor? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone mount an ac compressor to use as air compressor?

I am a mechanic I would love to be able to run air tools off the truck a lot. Right now I have a use for about once a week if i had it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by TheRookie
I am a mechanic I would love to be able to run air tools off the truck a lot. Right now I have a use for about once a week if i had it

If I were in your situation I would look toward running a York compressor or some other type of 'traditional' compressor that has it's own oiling system.

I honestly wouldn't trust what I've built under heavy use, I'm sure it will work out great for airing up tires once or twice a month and maybe running air tools every now and then but I still have to keep an eye on the oiler and the listen to the sound of the compressor to gauge it's needs. We'll see how long it lasts.

I'm sure you could move some stuff around on the passenger side and cram a York compressor in close enough to the engine to be able to run it off of the alternator pulley, ala Jeep style.

My method would be to buy a York compressor and a case of beer... open the hood and drink till it makes sense and fits. :rolleyes: but that's just me.

-T

instead of using a seperate filter for the compressor would it be okay to find a way of hooking it up to the intake as long as its before the MAF, like run a hose to the top of the airbox or something?

yeah i keep saying I want to do a york. just have so much waiting to go on the truck right now it isnt a priority. Sitting on the floor right now i have 5.5 inch lift with new radius arms. ARB air locker for front. 4.10 gears, brand new leaf springs. probably some other stuff.

Hey vrytired,
You know making the intake air filter do double duty like that isn't a good idea. Plus that and I think the seperate filter being mounted inside the engine bay will filter better than an intake filter. I dont have any data to back it up but thats just the way I see it. I'm sure you could try it an if it works hey let me know.

Ok, I'm the proud owner of a workable YORK, and thinking about doing a YORK conversion project for onboard air wen I get the chance (a few other projects to finish first). Did a search and found this site (already found the Onboardair website). Lotsa great ideas here, anyone actually DO it yet on a first Gen? Any others besides TGK's? This thing is supposed to put out 4 CFM at 90 Psi at 1200 RPM. WOW! Add a small tank and limited air tool use is possible!

you must have the newer york's the older ones can do up to 10 cfm! but they are larger in size. That is the one I will be fitting under my hood when the time comes....
I already have my manifold built, my tank, 2 Hose's(1 to chop and use, and 1 to use at all the quick disconnects).

I Don't believe that anbody has done it in a first Gen, but someone did do it in a Ranger... Under the hood, they are Identical.

I've got one of the 210 models that will do 10CFM. I pulled it from a '71 LTD, it has the original clutch and still works great. I've already pulled the clutch and bearings, drilled and tapped the oil return, and installed the set screw.

Basicly it's all ready to go, I've just got to decide which vehicle it's going into. Here is a picture:

IMG_0275.JPG

Yeah I have the 210 as well. Somewhere I got that they put out only 4 or so CFM at 90 psi.... 10? bigger WOW. So I am gathering one serpentine pulley near where you mount the 210 is replaced with a combo serp/belt pulley and you run the 210 off there? Hmmm, bracket, now THERE is gonna be a challenge. 10 cfm, hardly a need for a BIG tank with that kinda flow. Maybe a couple gallon tops? Or 1.25?

Glacier991, how did you ID the compressor? Mine didn't have a york ID plate, I had to pull the clutch and look at the actual shaft to get the displacement.

thats the only way to be sure, to look at the shaft end....

I ID'd it from the tag... you will find a 210 in the number string. Then the sharp shaft end confirmed it. BTW - If you don't already have it, the YORK factory manual is online at onlineair.com.

http://www.onboardair.com/

could you use the air compressor from the air ride system to air up tires? i'm sure that the pressure it puts into the air bags/shocks has to be similar to the 30 PSI it takes to fill a tire. anyone tried it?

Back