Anyone tried soldering? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone tried soldering?

This is just an idea and im throwing it out there...
Lighting kits in Dubai (especially the Halogens and better) are very hard to find for Fords (you can find everyting for toyotas and nissans and other cars... but almost nothing for Ford... and the few that you can get are either %@# expensive or of dubious quality (and still too expensive to take the chance and find them to be crap)

i was looking at the kits and the only thing that really sperates the Ford kits from the other kits is the actual housing installation... from what i saw at least.
the Ford ones have a different shaped base that the other manufacturers dont have. the bulbs have slightly different shapes too... but nothing significant.

My Question:
has anyone tried getting a set of lights (for.. say toyotas) that are cheaper than the Ford ones... (but good quality) and taking off the bulbs and soldering them onto the ford base installation?

after all... its only two connecting tabs (theyre pretty wide and you could easily solder them) and its just a current flowing through the thing... any reason it wouldnt work? :p:

also... has anyone tested or thought of getting those cheap but really bright halogen bulbs that you can find at hardware stores and finding one of the right wattage/voltage and soldering THAT on! those are really REALLY cheap... !! i wouldnt mind being the first to try something this silly.. but i just want to be sure i wont fry something by trying... or cause my headlight to explode or something >_<

let me know what you think.. im sure my idea has some major loopholes in it but i cant seem to see them myself. :D

are the hardware halogens not made to produce wattages similar to the ones used in cars? they seemed d*mn bright to me... and for dirt cheap too!

what's the deal with the 8000 k and 4800 k rating on these bulbs? maybe that would be a problem? :confused:

(for the record, i looked mostly at the stock fog-lights... dont remember the actual headlights assembly... and i'm talkind about the 2nd gen explorers... but it should apply across the board)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please no one flame me if I'm wrong; Most halogen bulbs are set into a ceramic base due to the amount of heat generated. a 55watt quartz-halogen bulb can easily reach a temp of over 200 °C within just a minute Most lead based solder flows at 183 °C or 361.4 °F, the melting point of the metal. Inside of that ceramic base, the connecting pins are crimped, not soldered. I believe the stock fog light bulbs on 93-98 are standard H3 bulbs.
4800K, 6000K, 8000K; the K = degrees Kelvin color temperature.
colortemp.jpg

scrap the solder

hmmm.. im that case... scrap the soldering idea for sure... but crimping the connectors together is still very possible..

isnt it? :(

shouldnt really affect the basic concept though... will that work?

unless of course...

unless theres different ceramic bases to handle different temperature bulbs... in which case, putting a halogen bulb on a stock base would be a no-no.

The Kelvin rating is the color of the light, as stated and usually has nothing or little to do with the wattage of the lamps.

The wattage of the bulbs are the thing to watch; most original wiring (OEM) is setup for the wattage rating of the original bulbs (usually 55 watts) and not too much more. The OEM wiring relies on the fuse to protect the circuit not the wiring so it is minimal at best.

The main question without actually seeing your lights/sockets would be the mounting of the bulbs, can the bulbs you buy be mounted in the housings you have on the vehicle; if so then the attachment of the bulb may only be buy the correct socket at the same hardware store as the bulbs.

Can you get some pics to look at ?

luck,

pics

ill get some pics tomorrow... its past 4 am here and i need sleep ^_^

thanks for the luck... this should be a fun project either way!

and by "temperature of the bulb" vs the ceramic base i was referring to the differnt TYPE of bulbs you get... sodium/ xenon/ halogen/ etc... im sure each has a totally differnt range of temperatures... hope the bases are not too picky about what temp ranges they can handle >_<

Back