Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
Anyone use amsoil in a shoc with no ill effects
And if anyone has had good or bad results please share

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run 10w-30 amsoil in a 99 sport with sohc and 165000 miles changed about 4000 miles ago all good
roscoe
ps I run amsoil in all my gear boxes and have for 30 years

Amsoil is good and won’t hurt anything. Neither will any other full synthetic oil, though. No oil is vastly superior. Change it on schedule, buy whatever is on sale or makes you feel warm and fuzzy, and buy a quality filter with anti drain back valve.

Ok so m1 and a fl1a filter it is

I’d use the regular plain Jane mobile one synthetic since many people believe stretching the intervals out in the SOHC is bad. It’s possible that the extra acidity in the oil makes the plastic more brittle.

I’d use the regular plain Jane mobile one synthetic since many people believe stretching the intervals out in the SOHC is bad. It’s possible that the extra acidity in the oil makes the plastic more brittle.
I agree that's what I normally use an what I just bought I was just wondering what all the hype is about

Besides I don't want this happening again lol

20180310_144603.jpg

20180310_144623.jpg

20180310_144136.jpg

I think the very very best oils are only marginally better than the typical brand synthetics.

How many miles did that motor have on it when you bought it? Your regular oil was Mobile One?

That engine looks like the oil wasn't changed often enough.
Look's like the previous owner did some long oci's.

I think the very very best oils are only marginally better than the typical brand synthetics.

How many miles did that motor have on it when you bought it? Your regular oil was Mobile One?
I am not the original owner so I'm not sure on the changing interval
It was a old lady then she let her daughter drive it got it for $1100

I normally use mobile one 5w 30 since I got it
It had 189000
Changed oil every 3000 miles like clockwork
Put new engine in at 287000
It was bought new like 10 miles from here
I think the old lady just drove it short trips

Them oil spray bars over the cams were completely clogged

Zoom in and look at the cam lobes
This is what made me buy a new engine
The valve train was loud af

Yeah, I’m guessing it had very long intervals. I’d think mobile 1woild keep the new motor fresh inside.

Makes me curious what the other 5.0 I have looks like. It had 100k worth of 20k oil changes

I'd say 287,000 miles on a sohc with sludge is a WIN. It's the short trips that cause engine sludge along with extended OCI's. Your fine with synthetic or even a quality syn blend as long as you stick to the intervals.

I run Shell dino oil in my 7.3 diesel, syn blend Valvoline in my 5.0 ranger and whatever full synthetic is on sale for my Focus. Reason I use syn in my 2.3 Focus is I have a balance shaft delete which gives me a capacity of 6qts so I run it a little longer. I change it about once a year / 6000 miles.

I think I used Amsoil once in the rear end 2000 Chevy truck. It failed due to the idiot's that did the work. Seems they didn't properly seal the diff cover and I got mud inside which destroyed all the internals. They didnt cover it due to the time that had past and my insurance wouldn't either.

As most said, any oil will do as long as you stick with the change intervals.

I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance (with extended life oil filters) in all 3 of my trucks. They don't accumulate many miles in a year (typically well under 10k of mostly 15-20 mile short trips to town and back) and using the EP allows me to do my oil changes only once a year. No issues in the 20+ years I've been using Mobil 1 oils, or the 7 years I've been using their EP oil. With almost 300k on a SOHC, which is amazing BTW, there's no telling how much further it will go, but you might as well use a quality synthetic oil in the mean time. Our highest mileage vehicle is my daughter's '00 5.0L Mountaineer, which has about 260k on it now. Other than using about a quart of oil every 3k or so it still runs beautifully and she's now decided to keep driving it until it gives up the ghost.

I find Walmart has the best prices on Mobil 1 oils in my area and that rebate sounds like a great deal.

Anyone run Rotella 15W40 in an old engine? This is an oil typically used in diesel engines and as I understand that the added zinc in it is good for the wear surfaces.

I got the m1 and a fl1a $25 at Wal-Mart

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when I had my 7.3 I ran rotella t in it
roscoe

Back