APIM replacement... location, part No, how to? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

APIM replacement... location, part No, how to?

I purchased my used apim through a salvage yard that came with a 90 day warranty. You might check around your area

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just wanted to say you guys are awesome. I was able to source a used APIM for $100, got an ELMconfig from Amazon for$30, downloaded forscan and followed the instructions to get the apim back to factory and then get my NAV back. Everything seems to be working as should. I can't thank you all enough!
Thanks again,
Jeff

My 2012 explorer has been at the dealership for going on 3 weeks due to the APIM needing to be replaced. Now they tell me it's back ordered and it will be a month before they can get it. Yet I went online and found an APIM replacement for it in 20 minutes. I have an extended service plan so it will only cost $100 to fix through Ford. Any suggestions on how to get the service people in motion.

My 2012 explorer has been at the dealership for going on 3 weeks due to the APIM needing to be replaced. Now they tell me it's back ordered and it will be a month before they can get it. Yet I went online and found an APIM replacement for it in 20 minutes. I have an extended service plan so it will only cost $100 to fix through Ford. Any suggestions on how to get the service people in motion.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing the one you found wasn't through a Ford dealership or Ford parts site. There are some likely to be found through Amazon or eBay but those are probably not new ones. A new APIM still has to be programmed for your vehicle.

Peter

hello i am from venezuela have a 2012 ford explorer limited purchased here but my screen is black im guessing apim is damaged i found one from a 2012 explorer xlt and i am wondering if it will work finding an apim that will work over here in the usa is very hard and expensive because the programing barely works

hello i am from venezuela have a 2012 ford explorer limited purchased here but my screen is black im guessing apim is damaged i found one from a 2012 explorer xlt and i am wondering if it will work finding an apim that will work over here in the usa is very hard and expensive because the programing barely works
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe that the APIM has to be programmed to your vehicle.

Peter

According to this parts website it looks like the part is now BT4Z-14D212-AC
Sound System for 2011 Ford Explorer
You can try eBay. I saw a couple on there the other day. I think they were for a 2013 but you can check that site I linked to see if it has the same number.

Peter

I am trying to track down a used APIM for my 2011 Ford Explorer. The number on the back of mine is BB5T-14F239-CT, however when searching for a used one from a junk yard they give me three options but none are for my part number.
BB5T-18A802-CF-CJ, BB5T-18A802-CK, and BB5T-18A802-CL. Will any of these three work?

Welcome to the Forum Mark.:wave:
None of the numbers you posted, including your current one can be found on the parts site; AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories
I did search again and ended up coming back the same number that was in the post you quoted.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Mark.:wave:
None of the numbers you posted, including your current one can be found on the parts site; AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories
I did search again and ended up coming back the same number that was in the post you quoted.

Peter
I was using the wrong number. it is BB5T-14F239-CT. Are there interchangeable APIM's or does it have to be this exact number? Also, when I look on used part websites, they show the screen as an option but not the APIM. If you have any ideas on how to track down a used one, please let me know. Thank you.

I was using the wrong number. it is BB5T-14F239-CT. Are there interchangeable APIM's or does it have to be this exact number? Also, when I look on used part websites, they show the screen as an option but not the APIM. If you have any ideas on how to track down a used one, please let me know. Thank you.
I think Jason, jmr061, or another more informed member may be able to answer that interchangeability part. Have you tried eBay or Amazon for used ones?

Peter

APIM(accessory protocol interface module) is the computer that is mounted behind the main screen. Any Sync 2 APIM should be compatible with your screen(as long as the screen hasn't failed) but will need to be programmed with 'as-built' data that corresponds to your VIN number. This will enable the unit to show the correct settings and climate controls for your vehicle.

If you are up to the task of programming your own APIM after installing, you can do this with FORScan(free+free extended license) and a Windows PC + an OBD adapter otherwise the dealer would need to do this with Ford IDS. The as-built programming data can be found online for your vehicle with the VIN number at https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

More about FORScan from the F-150 forum - FORScan Tutorial

Example Sync 2 APIM - 2015 Ford F-150 OWNERS MANUAL BOOK SET + NAVIGATION + CASE + SYNC #2 | eBay

Example Sync 2 APIM and screen - Ford MyFord Touch Sync 2 System with Navigation APIM and 8" Screen | eBay

The OBD adapter I use to program with FORScan - ELM327 USB V1.5 Modified ELMconfig CH340+25K80 Chip For HS-CAN / MS-CAN Forscan 694090411015 | eBay
Hello, I have a 2012 Ford Explorer with a damge apim unit. I already bougth a use apim and need further instructions to make the programming for my own. Could you please send me a detail instructions, tools and softwares that I have to use to setup my apim module?

Thanks

Hello, I have a 2012 Ford Explorer with a damge apim unit. I already bougth a use apim and need further instructions to make the programming for my own. Could you please send me a detail instructions, tools and softwares that I have to use to setup my apim module?

Thanks

Peter

Thanks
Where did you get the APIM and from which car is it?
Easiest way is to download the OEM as-built Data from motorcraft and write it to the new APIM.
You need ForScan, an OBD Adaptor and a laptop for programming
I bought this one on aliexpress, which is working fine
VINT TT55502 ELM327 USB V1.5 modified for Ford ELMconfig Froscan CH340+25K80 chip HS CAN / MS CAN Free Shipping-in Code Readers & Scan Tools from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I know this is an older post. Just inherited a less than 10k Mile 2011 explorer limited with APIM trouble. Watched a video on you tube that has a great ataboy to this forum for it's link to the FORscan. So my question is the obd link mentioned in the video and I think also linked in this thread is the OBD LINK MX over $300 on Amazon. Is there another reputable link this has the program and not just scan capability that is a little more affordable? At that price and the price of a used apim I'm nearly back to the cost of the Ford replacement.

Welcome to the Forum Trey.:wave:

Peter

So while I have y'all attention. I have yet to see anything on this that says for fixed the inherent problem with these units. Dealer quoted me $700+ labor to fix this today. If my math is right I can have about half that or better into a reprogrammed unit bought used. I wouldn't mind spending the more from Ford if I knew the problem had been addressed. Does anyone know about a fix ford put in place to make them last longer?

The APIM warranty was extended to 5 years, unlimited mileage on 2011-2014 Explorers so I'm guessing Ford was aware of the issues and probably addressed them. I'm not sure what problem you are having with yours but even improved APIMs can still fail.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So while I have y'all attention. I have yet to see anything on this that says for fixed the inherent problem with these units. Dealer quoted me $700+ labor to fix this today. If my math is right I can have about half that or better into a reprogrammed unit bought used. I wouldn't mind spending the more from Ford if I knew the problem had been addressed. Does anyone know about a fix ford put in place to make them last longer?

I have no idea, if anything was replaced or a fix was issued.

Back