• Register Today It's free!

Apten chip for 5.0

garyt

Reaction score
City, State
Colleyville/DFW, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
Thought I would post this email exchange I had with Brian Herron about his Apten chip for you 5.0 owners. I appreciate Brian's quick and straightforward answer, even though I was hoping he would say that in a 5.0, the chip blows away the results the 4.0 got. Oh well. Asked a straight question. Got the straight answer. I'm still hopeful and am staying in on the group buy. I've risked $200 on much worse odds.

My original email question is down below Brian's answer. Hope this is helpful.

"The 96-up explorers had a pretty decent gain. It's not quite as high as
the 4.0L that went on the dyno, but in my opinion there is enough for it
to be worth getting a chip.

If we weren't so short on time for the group buy, I would send one out
to a 5.0L owner for review.

Brian "

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 11:49 AM
To: info@apten-us.com
Subject: V8 explorer results?

Can you give me an idea of what kind of results you have gotten with
your custom chip in a stock V8 explorer? I know of several V8 guys that
are considering the group buy, but are slow to put their money down

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too have talked to him a little in email and he seems to be a great guy, very easy to work with and straight forward on his information. Cant wait to get my chip!

well i have a 2000 5.0.. so after i test it for a while.. i wouldnt mind posting results. however i dont drive nearly as much as blackmagic. i avg about 100 miles a week. not that much but itz mostly city driving. i will be driving home for christmas which is about a 420 mile drive. so i can definately take measurements.

5.0 dyno possibility

I also mentioned to him that it would be great if he could get one of us on a dyno to post before/after results with a stock (or basically stock) 5.0 Known results seem to always get more buyers than just seat of the pants reviews. If there is someone in the group buy that is in St Louis area that would be willing, it would be great if you could contact Brian and see if a with/without dyno comparison could be done.

Be careful with AWD, you need a dyno that can spin all 4 tires at once. That would be great to see the results, hope it can be done!

Back