• Register Today It's free!

ARB Safari Snorkle on First Gen

Con Seann3ry

Reaction score
City, State
Eugene, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Well, after seeing DasFrem's homebuilt snorkle I decided I needed to have one myself. Hydrolocking is something that's always scared me, not that I've done a lot of deep water crossings (here's a video of about as deep as I've gone http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~kblackmo/122-2203_MVI.AVI ) but I would like to be able to. Also it's a fun cheap project. Externally it's the same as DasFrem's snorkle, but I have a first gen and therefore it's different internally. Well, here's the final project:
Edit: Cut it down 3 inches. Here's what she looks like currently. May go an inch lower.
PICT0001%20(Small).JPG

PICT0015%20(Small).JPG

PICT0017%20(Small).JPG

A little of what's under the hood buildup:

PICT0009%20(Small).JPG

PICT0012%20(Small).JPG

I used a 45 Degree Conduit bend and 3inch conduit. I then attatched that to some dryer vent tube. It worked pretty well as I was able to just bend it into the shape of the airbox entrance. For the airbox I just flipped around the bottom and cut off all the tabs on the side so it fits with the top still. I used RTV High Temp Silicone to seal it up, there's a million things you could use but I had some of that laying around. Oh, also I painted the Conduit with Rustoleum Black Hammered. It kind of gives it a mild texture and I was trying to match the texture of the molded plastic top. I think it matched as well as it could. Also, to hide the jagged edge I cut a slit in some vaccum tube at the suggestion of DasFrem, makes it look 100 times better and gives it that professional look.

Overall I think it turned out pretty good. I put it up a little higher than DasFrem just because I figured it would be less visibile from within the cab but I might lower it a little, still deciding. I haven't noticed a decrease in power, but a little of the roar is gone that I had with my swiss cheese airbox. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Also, here's a link to DasFrem's thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?&threadid=74018&perpage=20

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet! I need to make myself one!

Have any pics of it mounted on the fender?

Positive Vibes said:
Sweet! I need to make myself one!

Have any pics of it mounted on the fender?

There is only one mount and that is right near where the dryer hose attatches. It's in the last picture but you can't see it that well. Should be strong enough for now, I might make another mount on the pillar but there isn't anymore room for more mounts under the fender.

I like them, but I dont understand their use. If you ever get in water high enough for the snorkel to be used, your electrical system will short out and not run. Yeah you didnt get hydrolock, but now you have the pleasure of buying an all new ignition system! Did you address that problem? I would really be interested in that one....

Yes, but wouldn't you rather buy a whole new electrical system instead of a new electrical system AND a new motor? :D Plus, water can simply splash up and get into your motor (had it happen to me). Not cool at all. :eek: Usually, the only problem with electricals is that you migth get some water on the DIS = stall out. But if you dry it all off, it's good as new.

Looks really good. I've been meaning to build one for mine. Yours turned out really nice. When I build mine, it will be about 2inches lower than the roof. (Don't want it to be as easy to rip off)

bmxking5 said:
Yes, but wouldn't you rather buy a whole new electrical system instead of a new electrical system AND a new motor? :D Plus, water can simply splash up and get into your motor (had it happen to me). Not cool at all. :eek: Usually, the only problem with electricals is that you migth get some water on the DIS = stall out. But if you dry it all off, it's good as new.

Looks really good. I've been meaning to build one for mine. Yours turned out really nice. When I build mine, it will be about 2inches lower than the roof. (Don't want it to be as easy to rip off)

Well, I plan to also find some way to protect my electrical system too. I have also thought long about the height of this. Currently it's less impeding in my vision, however, if I lower it it will be more difficult for it to snag on something. I left it this height because I can always decide to lower it easier than it would be to heighten it. I may lower it a bit.

Explodersport said:
I like them, but I dont understand their use. If you ever get in water high enough for the snorkel to be used, your electrical system will short out and not run. Yeah you didnt get hydrolock, but now you have the pleasure of buying an all new ignition system! Did you address that problem? I would really be interested in that one....

Electrical systems can be waterproofed...i'm going to do it on mine I hope LOL only one way to test that i'd think!

Explodersport said:

You obviously have never forded deep water. I have had water up to my door handles and almost hydro locked it. If it would have hydro locked then the water would have eventually seeped into the truck and damaged alot of stuff. A snokle would cure that scenerio.

I really like your x. Same color, year, and body as my dad's old truck, the vehicle i first learned to drive on. I think I'm going to be putting a snorkel on my truck this weekend. All the parts are sitting on my floor. I'm not sure if I'm going to take off the quarter pannel, or just have the tube on the outside the whole way up. Good job on yourse.

very nice, how much did it all cost?

"Electrical systems can be waterproofed...i'm going to do it on mine I hope LOL only one way to test that i'd think!"

How are you going to do that? I was planning on using silicone to seal up my fuse box, but what are you going to do for the distributer (that is what will make the truck stall, right)?

Opi said:
very nice, how much did it all cost?

I think the top is like 40 bucks, but I got it from my parents for a christmas present. I spent I think like 40 bucks at Home depot, I didn't even end up using the pvc cement I got though and I had to get some cutoff disks and such. Also, I couldn't buy just a few feet of the straight conduit I had so I had to get like a 10 foot thing of it. You may be able to do it a little cheaper.

little x said:
I really like your x. Same color, year, and body as my dad's old truck, the vehicle i first learned to drive on. I think I'm going to be putting a snorkel on my truck this weekend. All the parts are sitting on my floor. I'm not sure if I'm going to take off the quarter pannel, or just have the tube on the outside the whole way up. Good job on yourse.

I'd suggest running it through the fender just because it will be tougher for it to get ripped off that way. Also, once I get a hacksaw I'm going to cut mine down for that same reason.

bigbadbob94 said:
what did you do with the atenna and the vacum lines?

Antenna I took out because my ipod transmitter works better when it's not in. Vaccum lines are all in their stock locations.

little x said:
I did my snorkel this weekend. I left the antena in. Thanks for the info and pics, they really helped. What size dryer vent tube did you use, Con? The only stuff I found was 4", and it was a pain to get sealed.

I used the 4 inch stuff and a ****load of silicone and used a tube clamp (i think that's what it's called) to clamp it down to the silicone. You could just wrap it with some sort of tape too to get the things to match.

maby that heat tape that they use on ducting?

The snorkel turned out awesome Kevin! Maybe it'll come in handy on the 12th of March :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What air system did you have before? stock air box, stock filter? I had a kkm cone filter, and now have the k&n filter for the stock air box. I can definitely tell a difference in power. A little more down low (i like), a little less up top. It's also quite a bit quieter when I get on it (when't that exhaust getting ordered?). Did you feel any differences?

Back