Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

ARB Safari Snorkle on First Gen

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by Con Seann3ry, February 21, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Con Seann3ry

Con Seann3ry Active Member

City, State:
      Eugene, Oregon
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 XLT
      Well, after seeing DasFrem's homebuilt snorkle I decided I needed to have one myself. Hydrolocking is something that's always scared me, not that I've done a lot of deep water crossings (here's a video of about as deep as I've gone http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~kblackmo/122-2203_MVI.AVI ) but I would like to be able to. Also it's a fun cheap project. Externally it's the same as DasFrem's snorkle, but I have a first gen and therefore it's different internally. Well, here's the final project:
      Edit: Cut it down 3 inches. Here's what she looks like currently. May go an inch lower.
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

A little of what's under the hood buildup:

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

I used a 45 Degree Conduit bend and 3inch conduit. I then attatched that to some dryer vent tube. It worked pretty well as I was able to just bend it into the shape of the airbox entrance. For the airbox I just flipped around the bottom and cut off all the tabs on the side so it fits with the top still. I used RTV High Temp Silicone to seal it up, there's a million things you could use but I had some of that laying around. Oh, also I painted the Conduit with Rustoleum Black Hammered. It kind of gives it a mild texture and I was trying to match the texture of the molded plastic top. I think it matched as well as it could. Also, to hide the jagged edge I cut a slit in some vaccum tube at the suggestion of DasFrem, makes it look 100 times better and gives it that professional look.

Overall I think it turned out pretty good. I put it up a little higher than DasFrem just because I figured it would be less visibile from within the cab but I might lower it a little, still deciding. I haven't noticed a decrease in power, but a little of the roar is gone that I had with my swiss cheese airbox. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Also, here's a link to DasFrem's thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?&threadid=74018&perpage=20

Last edited: March 12, 2006
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Positive Vibes

Positive Vibes Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Santa Cruz, Ca
      '94 XLT
      Sweet! I need to make myself one!

Have any pics of it mounted on the fender?

4. Con Seann3ry

City, State:
      Eugene, Oregon
      94 XLT
      There is only one mount and that is right near where the dryer hose attatches. It's in the last picture but you can't see it that well. Should be strong enough for now, I might make another mount on the pillar but there isn't anymore room for more mounts under the fender.

5. Explodersport

Explodersport Active Member

City, State:
      Chesterfield, Virginia
      '00 Sport
      I like them, but I dont understand their use. If you ever get in water high enough for the snorkel to be used, your electrical system will short out and not run. Yeah you didnt get hydrolock, but now you have the pleasure of buying an all new ignition system! Did you address that problem? I would really be interested in that one....

6. bmxking5

bmxking5 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Monroe, GA
      '93 Sport & '96 XLT
      Yes, but wouldn't you rather buy a whole new electrical system instead of a new electrical system AND a new motor? :D Plus, water can simply splash up and get into your motor (had it happen to me). Not cool at all. :eek: Usually, the only problem with electricals is that you migth get some water on the DIS = stall out. But if you dry it all off, it's good as new.

Looks really good. I've been meaning to build one for mine. Yours turned out really nice. When I build mine, it will be about 2inches lower than the roof. (Don't want it to be as easy to rip off)

7. Con Seann3ry

City, State:
      Eugene, Oregon
      94 XLT
      Well, I plan to also find some way to protect my electrical system too. I have also thought long about the height of this. Currently it's less impeding in my vision, however, if I lower it it will be more difficult for it to snag on something. I left it this height because I can always decide to lower it easier than it would be to heighten it. I may lower it a bit.

8. CodePoet

CodePoet Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Indianapolis, Indiana
      1993 XLT
      Electrical systems can be waterproofed...i'm going to do it on mine I hope LOL only one way to test that i'd think!

9. Positive Vibes

Positive Vibes Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Santa Cruz, Ca
      '94 XLT
      You obviously have never forded deep water. I have had water up to my door handles and almost hydro locked it. If it would have hydro locked then the water would have eventually seeped into the truck and damaged alot of stuff. A snokle would cure that scenerio.

10. little x

little x Well-Known Member

City, State:
      SW VA
      '91 XL
      I really like your x. Same color, year, and body as my dad's old truck, the vehicle i first learned to drive on. I think I'm going to be putting a snorkel on my truck this weekend. All the parts are sitting on my floor. I'm not sure if I'm going to take off the quarter pannel, or just have the tube on the outside the whole way up. Good job on yourse.

11. Opi

Opi New Member

City, State:
      Allentown PA
      94 XLT
      very nice, how much did it all cost?

12. little x

City, State:
      SW VA
      '91 XL
      "Electrical systems can be waterproofed...i'm going to do it on mine I hope LOL only one way to test that i'd think!"

How are you going to do that? I was planning on using silicone to seal up my fuse box, but what are you going to do for the distributer (that is what will make the truck stall, right)?

13. Con Seann3ry

City, State:
      Eugene, Oregon
      94 XLT
      I think the top is like 40 bucks, but I got it from my parents for a christmas present. I spent I think like 40 bucks at Home depot, I didn't even end up using the pvc cement I got though and I had to get some cutoff disks and such. Also, I couldn't buy just a few feet of the straight conduit I had so I had to get like a 10 foot thing of it. You may be able to do it a little cheaper.

I'd suggest running it through the fender just because it will be tougher for it to get ripped off that way. Also, once I get a hacksaw I'm going to cut mine down for that same reason.

14. bigbadbob94

bigbadbob94 New Member

City, State:
      pennsylvania
      '94
      what did you do with the atenna and the vacum lines?

15. Con Seann3ry

City, State:
      Eugene, Oregon
      94 XLT
      Antenna I took out because my ipod transmitter works better when it's not in. Vaccum lines are all in their stock locations.

16. little x

City, State:
      SW VA
      '91 XL
      I did my snorkel this weekend. I left the antena in. Thanks for the info and pics, they really helped. What size dryer vent tube did you use, Con? The only stuff I found was 4", and it was a pain to get sealed.

17. little x

City, State:
      SW VA
      '91 XL
      oh yea,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to water proof the ignition system? computer? is there any thing else I need to really worry about?

18. Con Seann3ry

City, State:
      Eugene, Oregon
      94 XLT
      I used the 4 inch stuff and a shitload of silicone and used a tube clamp (i think that's what it's called) to clamp it down to the silicone. You could just wrap it with some sort of tape too to get the things to match.

19. SkanlaxJMO

SkanlaxJMO Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Syracuse, New York
      96 XLT
      maby that heat tape that they use on ducting?

20. 91Sploder

91Sploder Active Member

City, State:
      Brownsville, Oregon
      '68 U15
      The snorkel turned out awesome Kevin! Maybe it'll come in handy on the 12th of March :thumbsup:

21. little x

City, State:
      SW VA
      '91 XL
      What air system did you have before? stock air box, stock filter? I had a kkm cone filter, and now have the k&n filter for the stock air box. I can definitely tell a difference in power. A little more down low (i like), a little less up top. It's also quite a bit quieter when I get on it (when't that exhaust getting ordered?). Did you feel any differences?

22. Con Seann3ry

City, State:
      Eugene, Oregon
      94 XLT
      Yeah, actually I had a swiss cheese airbox, but then 91sploder gave me his old stock box. I'd say my results are the same as yours. Seems like the power is a little lower too and quieter. I think it's more towards stock feel but there is definately a ram air effect that is noticable. I'd like to see some pictures of how yours turned out. You should post them on this thread, if you need anyhelp doing that just email me at conseann3ry@hotmail.com and I'll host them and post them up for you.

Also, KKM filter for the stock airbox? I've just got a cheapy 3 dollar paper filter, did you notice a difference with the KKM? Worth the 40 something bucks it costs?

23. little x

City, State:
      SW VA
      '91 XL
      I had the KKM cone and my old air box was in another state. So I traded my cone with a friend for his air box, K&N filter, and $20.

I'll work on the pics soon.

I don't know if the K&N will make a big difference or not, but with all my engine mods it can't hurt.

24. little x

City, State:
      SW VA
      '91 XL
      Today I sealded my distributor. I first unscrewed the distributer from the mount. Then I used a Glad Ware tupperware box, drilled holes in the bottom of it for the mounting bolts, cut a slot in the bottom for the protruding bottom of the distributor, cut holes in the side of it for the spark plug wires and computer wire, used a shit ton of silicone, and mounted it back on, siliconing the top on at the end of it all.

I wasn't sure if it would hold up to the temp under the hood. But it is made for a dishwasher, right? I took a test drive for almost an hour and everything still looks fine. We'll have to wait and see how it holds up to the heat going slow down a trail on a summer day.

Pics will be here any day now

25. Con Seann3ry

City, State:
      Eugene, Oregon
      94 XLT
      Allright, here are little x's pictures of his snorkle.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

And of course, the interior:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

I think it turned out really nice Eric. Thanks for the pics.

Also, in your quest for waterproofing don't forget to extend all breather lines: tranny (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89097 ), transfer case, and front and rear differentials. Let me know if that distributor mod works, I'm trying to think of something that would definately stand up to the heat, maybe a small baking pan would work better. Also, if you've got any pictures of that I'd like to see those.

If anyone else has some advice for waterproofing let us know.

26. little x

City, State:
      SW VA
      '91 XL
      I brought all of my breather hoses into the cab, through the fire wall up front, and through the tail gate in the back, then routed them behind plastic pieces all the way to the ceiling. But I couldn't find a breather tube on my manual tranny. I skimmed the thread you posted, but don't have time this min. to read all 5 pages. Does the manual have a breather tube?

I think the Glad Ware is going to hold up, it is made to be microwaved and dish washed. Baking pans may work, but i think you'll have to use two, one on the bottom, and another upside down on the top. The only reason I used Glad Ware is because I had an empty container sitting arround that was the perfect size (thanks for those home made cookies, Mom!).

I can't wait to drown myself, sitting in my tuck, with it still running fine, lol.