ARB Safari Snorkle on First Gen | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ARB Safari Snorkle on First Gen

little x said:
What air system did you have before? stock air box, stock filter? I had a kkm cone filter, and now have the k&n filter for the stock air box. I can definitely tell a difference in power. A little more down low (i like), a little less up top. It's also quite a bit quieter when I get on it (when't that exhaust getting ordered?). Did you feel any differences?

Yeah, actually I had a swiss cheese airbox, but then 91sploder gave me his old stock box. I'd say my results are the same as yours. Seems like the power is a little lower too and quieter. I think it's more towards stock feel but there is definately a ram air effect that is noticable. I'd like to see some pictures of how yours turned out. You should post them on this thread, if you need anyhelp doing that just email me at conseann3ry@hotmail.com and I'll host them and post them up for you.

Also, KKM filter for the stock airbox? I've just got a cheapy 3 dollar paper filter, did you notice a difference with the KKM? Worth the 40 something bucks it costs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the KKM cone and my old air box was in another state. So I traded my cone with a friend for his air box, K&N filter, and $20.

I'll work on the pics soon.

I don't know if the K&N will make a big difference or not, but with all my engine mods it can't hurt.

Today I sealded my distributor. I first unscrewed the distributer from the mount. Then I used a Glad Ware tupperware box, drilled holes in the bottom of it for the mounting bolts, cut a slot in the bottom for the protruding bottom of the distributor, cut holes in the side of it for the spark plug wires and computer wire, used a **** ton of silicone, and mounted it back on, siliconing the top on at the end of it all.

I wasn't sure if it would hold up to the temp under the hood. But it is made for a dishwasher, right? I took a test drive for almost an hour and everything still looks fine. We'll have to wait and see how it holds up to the heat going slow down a trail on a summer day.

Pics will be here any day now

Allright, here are little x's pictures of his snorkle.
Front%20view%20(Small).jpg

snorkel%20view%20(Small).jpg

And of course, the interior:
airbox%20snorkel%201%20(Small).jpg

airbox%20snorkel%203%20(Small).jpg

I think it turned out really nice Eric. Thanks for the pics.

Also, in your quest for waterproofing don't forget to extend all breather lines: tranny (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89097 ), transfer case, and front and rear differentials. Let me know if that distributor mod works, I'm trying to think of something that would definately stand up to the heat, maybe a small baking pan would work better. Also, if you've got any pictures of that I'd like to see those.

If anyone else has some advice for waterproofing let us know.

I brought all of my breather hoses into the cab, through the fire wall up front, and through the tail gate in the back, then routed them behind plastic pieces all the way to the ceiling. But I couldn't find a breather tube on my manual tranny. I skimmed the thread you posted, but don't have time this min. to read all 5 pages. Does the manual have a breather tube?

I think the Glad Ware is going to hold up, it is made to be microwaved and dish washed. Baking pans may work, but i think you'll have to use two, one on the bottom, and another upside down on the top. The only reason I used Glad Ware is because I had an empty container sitting arround that was the perfect size (thanks for those home made cookies, Mom!).

I can't wait to drown myself, sitting in my tuck, with it still running fine, lol.

little x said:
I can't wait to drown myself, sitting in my tuck, with it still running fine, lol.

Hahah, make sure to post pics. I don't think the manual has one but don't quote me on that.

little x said:
Con, could you host and post those pics of the distributer for me? computers, arg!
Someone may one day find it useful.
Sure thing, this looks like a good idea. Sorry for the delay I've been pretty busy with work/school/truck/bars lately and haven't really been internetting much. Here they are, I think I'm going to copy you. I like cheap little projects that work like this.

distributor%20001%20(Small).jpg

distributor%20003%20(Small).jpg

distributor%20005%20(Small).jpg

distributor%20009%20(Small).jpg

does that tupperware thing really work? i dont mean if you've drowned your engine or anything to test it, cuz it looks pretty sealed, but it doesnt melt or anything right? and does anyone know anything else to seal up connections with? i'm sure using silicone before the filter isnt that big of a deal, but i do know that if silicone gets into your motor, it runs out the exhaust and screws up the O2 sensors. i just ordered my snorkel head today, and got a stock airbox this past weekend. been wanting to snorkel for a while, just havent gotten around to it, but its getting NICE out. well.. its chicago, so it goes from 50 and sunny to 10 degrees, cloudy and wind like no other. the wind blew down my neighbors new fence(but thats a good thing, its the ugliest fence EVER)

i used 2 inch on mine is that to small??

No, 2" is ok. You should get a little more power from something larger. I've actually gone back and replace the dryer vent with 2" ID tubing. The dryer vent rubbed a hole in itself. I'd like to replace the tube with either 2.5 or 3 inch ID once I find some. But for now the 2" is working fine. For some current pics you can check out my cardomain page in my sig.

i have noticed a decline in fuel economy since the snorkel mod. not that gas milage is my main concern but i cant afford to lose any more (7mpg) yikes

where can i get the snorkel head........

Back