Are Mountaineer & Explorer grilles interchangeable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are Mountaineer & Explorer grilles interchangeable?

SVO LOU

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer AWD
Guys,
I like these grilles Dead Link Removed
but they're showing only for Explorers. Can I get an Explorer grille and mount it to my 97 Mounty?

Thanks.
Lou.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no i know the grilles are different, but im not sure if you cut out the center if it would fit..my personal opinion.no

I'm sure there are a couple people on here who would trade you complete front ends!

Ford wouldn't make a major difference in the grilles. They use the same body, and it would be stupid to have Mounty only front end pieces. I bet the grille maker simply forgot about the Mountaineer.

the only diffs that I know of is the grille trim itself, the chrome peice around the headlights and all.. it was the same shape in 97 as the X, 98+ I can't say however.

why would you want an X grill if you have a mountaineer? wouldn't that be contradictory? you could have probablly gotten an X cheaper than a mounty.

I looked into the whole billet grille thing a while back, they used to make them for mountaineers actually, but they stopped when no one was buying them

personally.. it looks good as it is, since it sorta already has a vertical billet feel to it

I like the Mounty grille but I like the look of polished or billet horizontal bars a little more. :D
Maybe I can find one that was wrecked or experiment with a junkyard grille.
I just found it odd that I found no listings for Mounty's when I thought they were the same grille as the X (size and fit-wise).

Lou.

well you know.. I had an idea not too long ago to take a billet grille from as you said, maybe omehting thats wrecked, and have the thing cut/worked on with a metal shop and make my own

I think a vertical billet grille to accent the stock mounty would look so good..

Back