• Register Today It's free!

Are the shocks bad already?

98ebx

Reaction score
City, State
SF Bay Area , California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 4x4
yesterday going over some speed bumps at buddies condo complex...They have like a speed bump every 30 ft or something. Anyways I noticed that when I go over them they would make this squishing sound I dont know if its the shocks or bushings? I did try and have my friend push down on the front bumper to make the sound but I could not locate it.
Any ideas? help appreciated
Thanks

98ebx; did your truck seem to rebound excessively after you drove over the speed bumps, ie; bouncing up and down, more than normal? I am not sure on the IAS shocks that you have, have you inspected them to see if they are leaking anything or fouled up with anything? Just some ideas.:)

becker69-When we were pushing on the front it felt pretty solid it didnt excessively keep bouncing I know that if the shock is really bad that it will keep bouncing but it didnt really do that. I will have to check on the shocks tonight when I get home.. yesterday my mag light was dying so i didnt get a chance to look for leaks but will check it out in the garage. Darn I just put them on about 30 thousand miles ago. Is that kinda of low.
I havent went serious 4wheeling just some deep snow and mud.

Probably just one of the rubber bushings squishing as it compressed. Not likely the shocks if they are still hard and don't bounce excessively after the speed bumps. Mine does that all the time when I hit bumps too fast. It is the rubber bumpstop that contacts the lower "A" arm at full compression. You can see the contact mark on the "A" arm where the bushing has hit recently.

Back