Are these seats a direct swap for my 2005 XLS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are these seats a direct swap for my 2005 XLS?

EddieExplorerXLS

Reaction score
City, State
Lakewood, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLS
I have a 2005 XLS with cloth interior. I am looking to upgrade to leather because the levers to adjust the seats are broken on both driver and passenger. I am looking at the below car as a parts car. Are the seats a direct swap? I did a seat swap on a 2005 Taurus a few months ago and it was just plug and play. I did have to change the seat belt tensioners on both seats as the airbags had deployed from the donor car. The donor Explorer I am looking at didn't have the airbags deploy so that should be one less step I have to do.

Thanks

PARTS CAR
https://www.copart.com/lot/33810618

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to look at the plugs under your seat and the swap seats. As long as they have the same plug configuration you’ll be okay.

If the swap seats are heated, your gonna have issues. But can have issues even if they aren’t.

3rd Gen explorers had 1 or 2 dirrect second-row seat configurations. However I agree, they are likely apples-to-apples the same, since Ford would most likely manufacture the shell with the same floor stud pattern.

Here's a picture when I ripped out the interior for my explorer. It shows the floor seat stud pattern for a 3-piece second-row seating configuration.

Note how the front of the seats attached with a bolt through an existing stud, and the rear of the seats are attached by driving a bolt THRU the floor.

Bear in mind, I have 3rd-row seating, which meant the two outside seats have the extra capability of folding FORWARD to allow entry into the back. That may or may not impact anything.

IMAG0316.jpg

Back