Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Are used FOBs just as good as new?

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by KY Girl, January 4, 2020.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. KY Girl

KY Girl Elite Explorer

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2018 Explorer XLT
    No I bought it from a used car dealer. They bought it from an auction in OK I believe. They only had one key and I didn't realize it until after I purchased it. They would not purchase a second key.
    They offered to get me one at their cost but the one I found on my own was no higher, and closer to me.

There were documents in the glove box that it was a Hertz rental vehicle. I contacted Hertz but they couldn't locate the key. They did provide me with the maintenance records though.

The FOB I'm buying does include a cut key.

Thanks Peter!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 94Eddie

94Eddie Elite Explorer

2010 Mountaineer Premier
    There is no need to pay the outrageous price to a Ford dealer. There are plenty of mobile locksmiths that will do the job for $50-$100. I recently bought a 2010 Mountaineer with only one key. I had a locksmith come to my house and cut and program a new one in about 10 minutes for $50 including the key. I then bought three more keys and fobs off ebay for around $20 total. I had the keys cut at a hardware store for less than $5 and then programmed them and the fobs myself. This gives me a couple of extra keys to program new ones in case one goes bad or is lost. The Ford dealers are ripping people off for a procedure that takes very little time to complete. There are much cheaper options to utilize.

4. KY Girl

KY Girl Elite Explorer

2018 Explorer XLT
    Too late for me. Hopefully this will help someone else, but I will buy a couple extra and program them myself now that I have 2 admin keys. Thanks 94Eddie.

5. KY Girl

KY Girl Elite Explorer

2018 Explorer XLT
    Oh I'm so embarrassed. I answered this when it was meant for DrugOn. My apologies.

6. DrugOn

DrugOn New Member

2017 limited
    I'm from Ukraine and I have bought it on Copart.
    Explorer not sold in our country.
    I'll use Forscan to add key by myself and wonder if the key 2019 (it cheaper and looks better for me) compatible with 2017 car.

7. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    No need to feel embarrassed. I appreciated the 'extra' thanks. ;)

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  8. SmilingMike

SmilingMike New Member

City, State:
    Mississauga, Ontario
    2018 Ford Explorer Sport
    For my '18 Sport, I bought a used 5 button IA FOB off a '17 Fusion and since I had both original FOBs, I programmed it myself. The used FOB works perfectly. I just had to get a key blank off eBay and get that cut. As others have stated, without the 2 originals, programming would have to be done by a dealer or locksmith.

• Like Like x 1