ARP head studs and head gaskets | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ARP head studs and head gaskets

Wiring

I gave up using electrical tape long ago..

I was wondering if you were using tape under the conduit.
I am wrapping most of the wiring at the back with tape and then conduit, and then more tape. I kind of have this overkill thing built into me, just like the excess amounts of RTV oozing out between things I glue together with it. I am trying to learn to ease up but habits are hard to break.

The problem with so much tape is that the harness doesn't want to flex very much and makes it hard to bend or move. It is also difficult to get back in there to work with the wires if something is not right. So I am only going overboard at the back. Where the wires come out of that back run, I will call them T's, I have taped them well. After that I am keeping the wires untaped except for a ring of tape every few inches. Then conduit with a few rings of tape to keep them from opening.

I am using heat shrink after soldering as well, I found 100 foot rolls of thick quality heat shrink for about $15.00 each off eBay. I got 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 sizes which seem to fit all I need. The stuff has about a 50% shrink rate so it slides over nicely and shrinks up nice and tight.

That's a funny story about the injectors, I did that once when I was installing the Lightning supercharger a few years ago. lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Didnt I see somewhere that you was talking about wanting a different nut for the head studs? I cant find that post? Did you end up using the ones that came with it? What was the difference in the ones you wanted?

I just received my ARP studs and summit didnt tell me they dont come with washers or nuts, I swore [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] got his they did come with them..so do you have any suggestions or input on the nut design or type??

Mine did come with washers and nuts.
I think I pm'd you the part numbers a million years ago.

The only issue I had was I had to 'notch' a valve cover slightly. Not enough to create a leak or anything though.

Mine did come with washers and nuts.
I think I pm'd you the part numbers a million years ago.

The only issue I had was I had to 'notch' a valve cover slightly. Not enough to create a leak or anything though.

You ordered from summit? ? Or Tom? Summit definitely doesnt come with nuts or washers and ARP is saying they dont either:(

check your pm for arp part numbers. These are for 4.0 ohv. You might need to order from arp direct.
These came from Tom, who ordered from arp and had them drop shipped to me.

Maybe find high grade nuts locally?

studs

Wow, that sucks, I just looked on ARP's website and they do not have a "kit" for the 4.0 OHV listed.
I guess that's why you have to get them separately. Strange, the 4.0 ohv has been around much longer and no kit?
Maybe the factory head bolts hold up better than the 4.0 sohc.

I was not looking for different nuts but I think you might have read that in "Nice Pony's" build thread. He wanted bigger washers to cover more area on the cylinder head and he may have wanted 6 point nuts too. I don't blame him, sounds like better stuff to me.

I however just went with the kit that was available. I am not building a race engine, I am just band aiding the engine I have now to see if it works. I am curious if the ARP head studs will be enough to hold the pressures in the cylinders that I am stressing the engine with. We shall see soon I hope.

Day 13

This will be the 13th day I worked on this truck. Some days were long, some were short.
I got a lot done yesterday, fuel injectors installed and no leaks this time, finished more wiring etc. I engraved the injector connectors with an electric engraver used to put your initials on your sockets and other tools. Should make it easier to keep track of which one goes where in the future.
Got the supercharger back on. Still have to do some wiring to do, install IAC, and I have to install the fan. Then change the oil, add coolant etc.

Attachments

• 1 injector connector.JPG
    1 injector connector.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 2 supercharger.JPG
    2 supercharger.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 3 wiring.JPG
    3 wiring.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 4 fan.JPG
    4 fan.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 158

It runs!

Got it back together today.
Still need some green coolant to fill my overflow bottle and my intercooler system. Sure wish I had went to the parts store earlier, they closed so I have to wait till tomorrow to get coolant. I had just enough to vacuum fill my cooling system and a few drops left over for the overflow bottle.
I primed the oiling system by cranking the engine over in 16 second intervalls with the crank sensor disconnected until the gauge showed pressure, then a couple more times for good luck. Plugged in the crank sensor and it fired right up, did not skip a beat. So it's coolant tomorrow and I will try to heat cycle it a couple of times before going to the track this Friday.
13 days!

Attachments

• done.JPG
    done.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 145

NICE!!! Good job..happened so fast to ;)

ARP studs

Fast, lol
that damn milk crate...lol

ARP head studs

Friday is supposed to be a high of 40 degrees, just like last year when I went on Saturday. I am hoping for a 13.24. I will be satisfied with it if it just keeps the combustion in the cylinders and the coolant in the radiator.

I like the newer easier to release injector connectors. I figured this was the time to do them since I was redoing the wiring harness. I plan to do more house cleaning around the engine compartment. I have a Ford Racing throttle body with mechanical linkage that is for the GT500 supercharger, en route to my house. I am hoping for a little nicer look with that. I also will be redoing some wiring for my intercooler pump and fan, narrow band O2 gauges,
and what ever else I find that could use some improving.

Canceled

I waited all year for Black Friday so I could go racing in some cold weather and push the limits of this 4.0 again. My last post on this thread was last Sunday. I was feeling a little run down and had muscle aches etc. The rest of the week I continued my downward spiral. Wednesday I went to the local pharmacy for NyQuil and Advil, also picked up some green anti freeze from the local parts store. Came home from that trip and went to bed exhausted.
I finally managed to get that antifreeze in the truck and heat cycled it a few times. I also ate Thanksgiving dinner. (YUM YUM)
I checked Atco Raceway's website and found the Black Friday event was canceled due to freezing temps. I guess it might not be good if the burn out pit had ice on it instead of water.
They canceled Saturday too. At least I don't feel like I am missing out on something since I am sick. I probably would not have made it there if it was still on since getting out of bed takes so much out of me.
Maybe I will go on Sunday if I am feeling better and they don't cancel it. I really wanted to see if the coolant will stay in the engine now at wide open throttle. And I still want to beat a 13.34 this year.

Let's hope everything aligns. 1st though, I hope you start feeling better.

I'm sure with traction you would be getting a new best time.

ARP Head Studs for 4.0 SOHC

So I made it to the track today. I was feeling much better and the weather was a warm 57 today. I only got 4 runs in but the coolant stayed at the same level after each run. So the ARP head studs and new gaskets did the trick!
I will post other information in my usual thread.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3351161#post3351161

Back