Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Assessing value of 4wd '92 Explorer XLT with manual transmission & hubs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tall_dude, August 1, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. tall_dude

tall_dude New Member

City, State:
      Seattle, WA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '92 XLT
      Greetings all,

New member here, hailing from sunny Seattle. I thought I'd shamelessly seek some free information from you folks who enjoy discussing this sort of thing. I am curious about the effect of a manual transmission, manual locking hubs, and low mileage (73k) on the desirability of a '92 Explorer XLT. Mine is about to be totaled. I'm not looking to sell it, just evaluating the offer from the insurance company.

The situation is as follows... My mean old man gave me his '92 Explorer XLT 4wd with a manual transmission and manual locking hubs, as a gift. My initial investment was thus zero (and I hadn't researched the vehicle). I replaced the eleven year old tires with four brand new Michelin LTX M/S 2 tires, got it aligned the next day, and promptly got rear-ended the next morning after that.

Insurance company values the car at $2482, essentially. In this case, they are subtracting a further amount for a prior ding and arriving at a lower number, but I don't want that to muddy the waters just yet. I'd be interested in getting responses to the valuation of $2482.

The interior wear was characterized as "moderate"- no odors, some coffee/grease stains and scuffs here and there. Everything is working fine, probably could stand to have some things tuned up, but nothing obvious. Engine used to leak oil but valve covers were replaced.

I am planning to keep the vehicle and make necessary safety repairs. I have done some research on Kelley Blue Book, NADA, Edmunds, and of course, Craigslist. I've noticed that most of the vehicles I'm seeing have automatic transmissions and hubs. They also usually have twice the miles.

I'd greatly appreciate general feedback from some Explorer owners (especially if you ever go off-road). What do you think the combination of manual transmission, manual locking hubs, and 73k miles does to the value? My father and I thought that might make it more attractive for certain kinds of owners.

I've attached pics of the vehicle from four angles (after the crash, unfortunately, but disregard the rear damage in your evaluation). Rear door on passenger side is simply ajar in the third picture (rear_passenger.jpg).

Thanks for your time and insight!

Tall Dude.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4D Wagon 4WD
      6 Cylinder 4.0 Engine
      5 Speed Manual
      73k miles
      Air Conditioning
      Tilt Steering Wheel
      Cruise Control
      Rear Window Defroster
      Rem Trunk-L/Gate Release
      Rear Window Wiper/Washer
      Intermittent Wipers
      Privacy Glass
      Tutone Paint
      Roof/Luggage Rack
      Manual Locking Hubs (4WD)
      Anti-Lock Rear Brakes
      Tinted Glass
      Leather Steering Wheel
      Power Door Locks
      Power Brakes
      Power Windows
      Power Steering
      Power Mirrors
      AM/FM Stereo Tape
      Split Front Bench Seat
      Velour/Cloth Seats
      Aluminum/Alloy Wheels
      Engine Block Heater
      Power Equipment Pkg
      XLT Package

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. tall_dude

tall_dude New Member

City, State:
      Seattle, WA
      '92 XLT
      I might have been too longwinded- I mainly want to know if anybody ever looks for manual locking hubs and a stick for going off-road.

I like the control and simplicity of it so far when I'm playing around in the snow, but I'm having trouble finding ads for similar rigs- they're almost all automatics with automatic hubs.

Thanks!
      Tall Dude

4. Baddecision93

Baddecision93 Active Member

City, State:
      Orrville, OH
      92 XLT
      In my opinion their evaluation is spot on.

The manuals in these weren't super, super rare so people won't really be readily paying more for one.

The manual locking hubs are regarded as the best option for enthusiasts but they aren't terribly expensive (<$200) and since they are used and already on there it's a negligible change to its value.

It should probably be worth more considering it's in good shape and super low-miled but you have to remember that it's really old no matter how you slice it. And it's not great on gas...not even good, so there's that too when you consider its market value.

Hope this info helps.

5. tall_dude

tall_dude New Member

City, State:
      Seattle, WA
      '92 XLT
      Thanks, Baddecision. I'm not getting greedy, I've just been having a hard time finding comparisons!

6. Baddecision93

Baddecision93 Active Member

City, State:
      Orrville, OH
      92 XLT
      Understandable. It's hard to use a reference guide too when they get this old. Just one of those things :(. Hope you get a few more answers so you can draw an average comparison.

7. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Welcome to this forum! Considering the age of the vehicle, the insurance is more than the value of the vehicle. This is a common issue for most older vehicles.