ATF+4 in 5-speed Manual Transmission? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATF+4 in 5-speed Manual Transmission?

RangerNutt

Reaction score
City, State
Mid-third I75
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ranger XLT
Anyone tried this, and good/bad results? Latest spec is for Mercon V but...

Hard to find answers from any who have actually put in the fluid and drove around. Most if not all ATFs should handle the loads, but ATF+4 is supposed to be a little stickier and don't know if that will cause problems shifting, with cold weather, etc.

No way would this even get asked for an auto trans. But manual is just a gearbox. (...and I want to use up this leftover ATF+4 :^)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hard to find answers from any who have actually put in the fluid and drove around. Most if not all ATFs should handle the loads, but ATF+4 is supposed to be a little stickier and don't know if that will cause problems shifting, with cold weather, etc.

No way would this even get asked for an auto trans. But manual is just a gearbox. (...and I want to use up this leftover ATF+4 :^)
Updating...

With no replies, went ahead and tried this.
  • The ATF+4 (Chrysler) runs fine in hot weather.
  • Higher stickiness does makes shifting a little harder in cold weather, as expected.
  • No issues with seal degradation or any other.
Going back to factory spec after 30k miles (almost there). Did get money's worth out of surplus ATF+4.

Wait, are you saying you drove almost 30K in just nine months!? Wow!!

Thanks for posting the outcome, it may help someone in the future.
Mind if I move this into the transmission section, since its applicable to more than just Rangers?

I run 0W30 in my 5 speed.

I'm thinking of running 20 weight or HYD oil in the 1L54 HB gearbox in my 04 Ranger and am wondering about cold weather shifting as well as seal degradation. How long have you been using motor oil in your tranie? Any problems with the seals? How cold are the winters where you live? Any issues in colder weather? Shifting? The trans I'm putting in feels like it needs real oil for several reasons and I've had a Ford tech recommend 30 weight in an 89 3/4 ZF 5 speed years ago but I'm curious if the Mazda box seals will hold motor or hydraulic oil. Any info is much appreciated.

I have ATF+4 in my 96 Explorer automatic 4x4 for several years and no problems yet.

I am running Motorcraft Mercon V in my manual transmission and also in my power steering. I live in the south, and it has worked well for me.

Back