Attempted to pressure flush brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Attempted to pressure flush brakes

FLwireman

Reaction score
City, State
DeFuniak Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Xploder
I built a DIY pressure bleeder using a garden sprayer as seen all over the internet. One thing I added was a tire stem so I wouldn't have to do all of that pumping, I just hit it with my air tank.
I have been trying 15 psi. Problem is, nothing is coming out of the RR, I even completely removed the bleeder. Reinstalled and tightened the bleeder and went to LR, got one little drop. Buttoned everything back up and went into the house to cool off.
Am I wrong, or is it simply pressurize system, open bleeder, watch old fluid go into catch bottle. Right?
BTW, I tried search and came up with 13 pages going back to 2010. No answer.
I have no brake issues, just thought I should change the fluid since it has never been done.
Appreciate your feedback.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The auto parts store sells bleeder screws with a built in check valve from Motormite. Install one of these bleeder screws, loosen it about a turn, connect a hose onto the bleeder screw, and let it sit in an empty container. Step on the brake pedal several times while keeping an eye on the fluid level in the master cylinder. Refill the master cylinder, and pump the brake pedal another few times, then close the bleeder screw.

The auto parts store sells bleeder screws with a built in check valve from Motormite. Install one of these bleeder screws, loosen it about a turn, connect a hose onto the bleeder screw, and let it sit in an empty container. Step on the brake pedal several times while keeping an eye on the fluid level in the master cylinder. Refill the master cylinder, and pump the brake pedal another few times, then close the bleeder screw.

Dorman also makes the same thing, called Speed Bleeders. They work great. 1/4 to 1/2 turn on those though.

Your existing bleeder might be plugged up. Check if the brake works properly. If so, the bleeder is likely plugged. If the brake doesn't work, then you have a problem with the lines.

Thank you for your suggestions. I ended up buying the Help #12701 for the rears and ordered the Help #12707 for the fronts. You would think the stores would keep them in stock, but they don't.

Thank you for your suggestions. I ended up buying the Help #12701 for the rears and ordered the Help #12707 for the fronts. You would think the stores would keep them in stock, but they don't.

Good deal. The HELP! line is made by Dorman. I think you will like them. I loved the set I bought. Only took 1/4 turn or so to open the bleeder valve and just pumping the brakes is so much easier to do by yourself.

Agree. Dorman/Help also appear identical to the Goodridge Speed Bleeders.

Important to reinstall the original dust caps and protect the check valves. :thumbsup:

I had not thought of the dust caps, and considering the price of the speed bleeders a little more for dust caps seems like a great investment. They are not carried on the shelf at any of my local parts stores and have to be ordered. I compared prices on their websites and found a huge difference in price for the same item. They are HELP #13962 for the universal dust caps.

Thanks for the links! :thumbsup: They cost more than standard bleeders so the stores don't stock them. I'm sure that more people will be willing to spend the extra amount after seeing how easy they are to use. You'll never see an OEM version on any vehicle since the dealers want you to give them the vehicle for service (and not encourage the average DIY mechanic to do their own repairs on the brake system).

I only show the 12701 being listed.I assume the front and back have different threads?? I thought all four was the same but I also haven't messed with a drum rear in forever. I have the 2nd gen rear swap.guess I need to check to see if they are the same unless someone can confirm which ones I need;)

What summit list
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-12701/overview/make/ford/model/ranger

I know this is little off topic but would the speed bleeders work for say the clutch slave bleeder valve? Same principal right?

I only show the 12701 being listed.I assume the front and back have different threads?? I thought all four was the same but I also haven't messed with a drum rear in forever. I have the 2nd gen rear swap.guess I need to check to see if they are the same unless someone can confirm which ones I need;)

What summit list
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-12701/overview/make/ford/model/ranger

I posted Speed Bleeder part numbers for my 1st gen with 2nd gen rear disc in the thread below:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386642

So you ended up using the same as "FLwireman" (front12707&12701rear) anyone else run into this also?I don't wanna order the wrong ones.

I used 12706 on the front. But my calipers were reman'd Ford units.

I used 12706 on the front. But my calipers were reman'd Ford units.

O sorry.how did I miss read that.well that opens a whole new can of worms...I guess I just have to pull mine off and see.sucks though because ill have to bleed them after seeing and then again after installing the new bleeders.or I might not even worry about it on the explorer as everything is brand new and don't have any issues. Just wait till I need pads again

Then my ranger will be completely different as I have dual piston on the front and cobra on the back:banghead::banghead:I just did the front and about to do the rear swap so going to install them then

Check your local auto parts chain stores for availability. Commonly stocked, and convenient to refund or exchange.

Speed Bleeders

:( I went to the Dorman site and checked on the 12707 and the 12706, and according to Dorman neither fits the 93 Explorer front. I installed the 12707 that I ordered and they leak as if the screw is not fully seating or the check valve is not fully closing. I do not have the 12706 so I can't testify to them. I am going to pull the 12707's back off and more closely compare them to the original bleeder screw. Maybe they are a tad too long and not allowing the screw to fully seat. I online chat with the Dorman rep and he thought the check valve might be the problem. Either way, my speeders leak slightly and it takes two days to get new ones. Just thought you guys might like to know.:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:( I went to the Dorman site and checked on the 12707 and the 12706, and according to Dorman neither fits the 93 Explorer front. I installed the 12707 that I ordered and they leak as if the screw is not fully seating or the check valve is not fully closing. I do not have the 12706 so I can't testify to them. I am going to pull the 12707's back off and more closely compare them to the original bleeder screw. Maybe they are a tad too long and not allowing the screw to fully seat. I online chat with the Dorman rep and he thought the check valve might be the problem. Either way, my speeders leak slightly and it takes two days to get new ones. Just thought you guys might like to know.:(

Thanks for the info.the rear fit fine?keep us up to date

Back