Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Audio Question

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by LStoudenmire, October 10, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. LStoudenmire

LStoudenmire Active Member

City, State:
      Charleston, SC
      Well, I installed my new Kenwood KFC-Xr61P components this weekend, and they really sound great. I now have a Pioneer DEH-6300P HU and Pioneer TS-A6857 2-ways in the rear.

My next plans are to build a box for the rear for some subs and an amp to push them, but havent decided on what to get, as of yet.

My question is this: Is there some sort of crossover that I can install for the rear Pioneers so that I can seperate the heavy bass for the subs. Right now they seem to be getting some bass that is really too deep for them. Does this make sense?

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MrExplorer

MrExplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Painesville.OH
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 Sport
      I think your HU is like mine it has a built in high pass filter. Look in the owners manual on page 39. You can set the cutoff frequency to suit your needs.
      Hope this helps

4. LStoudenmire

City, State:
      Charleston, SC
      That should take care of it for now, but what should be done after I install an amp and subs. I do want the bass, but I'll need to redirect it to the subs.

Also, I'm not sure I know how to wire the amp and subs from the HU, but still maintain my rear speakers. Do I run the rear speakers from the amp as well as the sub? Can I control how much wattage goes to the rear speakers and how much goes to the subs?

Thanks

5. gard_mc

gard_mc Member

City, State:
      Charleston, WV
      1996 Sport
      My amp and subs (factory HU) are ran off of my rear speakers. I just spliced into the lines and ran to the amp. I think this would work for you and then put a high-pass passive crossover before the speakers?

High pass passive crossover might not be the right term, but basically a filter to only let the high's (and mid's depending on the cut off point) through.

6. LStoudenmire

City, State:
      Charleston, SC
      I think you are on the same track that I was thinking.

7. MrExplorer

MrExplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Painesville.OH
      97 Sport
      That radio should have 3 sets of RCA's out. Front, rear and subwoofer. Thats the beauty of the pioneer radios. You can set the crossovers internally with the radio. HP for front and rears and low pass for the sub. I looked up the owners manual for that radio and it shows the sub out rca's on the back of the radio as opposed to having a short pigtail for the front and rear rca jacks. Id verify what i saw by looking at your instalation\owners manual.The menus on the radio are hard to understand at first but once you have it setup your good to go. You can run a set of rca jacks from the HU to the sub amp and set up the LP filter for that output.

8. LStoudenmire

City, State:
      Charleston, SC
      I think you're right about the RCA Plug. I bought the HU on clearance so it didnt come with a manual, but someone on the board posted a link to one that I can download, just havent done it. Too busy.

So if I'm understanding right, I can maintain the wiring for my present speakers, and then run an RCA Cable to the amp from the HU and then run the subs off of the amp. Is that right?

9. MrExplorer

MrExplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Painesville.OH
      97 Sport