• Register Today It's free!

Audio upgrade help

rabbhill

Reaction score
City, State
Magnolia AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 94 Explorer XLT. I bought my truck, Hal, the day after Christmas 2011, because I had to have a ride right away. I got him for a steal. But... when I bought him, he had two speakers in the back under the seats from like a cheap home stereo. They were wired directly into the back of the Pioneer stereo. When I popped off the door panels I found out why. The wiring for the door speakers had been cut and removed:mad: (the wire not the speakers). I put new speakers in and wired it up and it sounds good but its time to upgrade. Currently I have sony xplodes in the front doors and cheap speakers in the back doors. I have a BBox with 2 10's that I got from a friend who got them from a friend (no name) and a Pyramid PB717X 1,000-Watt 2-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier. It hits but not as hard as I'd like. I recently had a falling out with my audio guy and have a new one but he said put q-power in it and I'm thinking JL audio(Jl Audio C2-650 speakers and 2 JL AUDIO 10W7 and 2 12W7AE-3 - JL Audio 12" a XD400/4 - JL Audio 400W to power the speakers and a XD700/5 - JL Audio for the subs). I want to replace the subs, amp, and door speakers. I am having new door panels fiberglassed up so 2 rounds will fit in each door and having the liftgate panel made up for 4 rounds. What should I use, JL, Q-power something else? What kind of box (stealth boxes?)? I really dont want to give up all the space in the back of my truck, so maybe shallow mount subs? Budget is $3500ish just for speakers and subs. Please help me out, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$3500 into just audio, into a 1st gen worth $1500? Wow....
Google search of Q-power suggests they are not great quality. They are pretty cheap as well. JL audio is good stuff. I'd go JL. Long & high sealed box the width of the cargo area & tall as the rear seats would be best to keep the space.

$3500 into just audio, into a 1st gen worth $1500? Wow....

x2

I'd suggest cutting back the audio budget and sticking (at most) a component set (1 tweeter, 1 midrange) in each door, preferably with the front tweeters in the door sail panels.

You can have an enclosure made to fit in the factory space behind the interior panel in the passenger side rear and fit an 8, 10, or even a 12 back there.

Having lots of speakers might SEEM cool or like it adds something, but all it does is add reflections and require more money, more power, more amps, more load on the electrical system, and more everything until it keeps going...until you run out of money and still have a system that sounds horrible.

The best systems I've seen and heard are simple, clean installs, with either a single pair up front, or two pairs of components with one in front and one in the rear, and a single sub. Those wacky ones with multiple speakers in each door or all over the place aren't any louder, they are just more distorted because the speakers aren't all working together. If you want to go for SPL or get tickets, lots of subs is the way to do it, but it just sucks the cargo space in a daily driver and just like speakers, one good sub is better than multiple poor subs.

You can put an audio system together for a few hundred dollars and blow away someone who spent $3,500 who didn't spend the money the right way.

You my friend are spot on lol ive did the just add mor speakers thing and it really didnt do anything but cause distortion but when i bought 2 tweets i was amazed at how simple and better lol

I had 2 kicker 15s in sealed inclosure and my now girlfriend. Said the day ess he first rode in it she had to fight not throwing up because it was so loud cheap and 2 music tickets later and theyre gone btw i hate kicker but they were champs i pushed onw with a 1000 watt rms amp and i was supprised that it took it

Look up gravity subs i got mine from the swap meat. Killer deal because he didnt have 2 of the same in stock 70 bucks blew the cheap one because 100 degree weather and all the way up the better one ended up snapping a screw of in my box then breaking my box so im true fan of them

Back