1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

"Audiophile" Stereo?

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by rpr, February 1, 2006.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. rpr

rpr Active Member

City, State:
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2006 Limited
    Roveer: Some of the above is over my head, but I can confirm that the stock HU powers the door speakers and the Ford amp (in the rear right quarter panel) only powers the stock amp.

I am not using line level inputs on my setup. I hated the stock HU (extremely "colored" frequencies, don't think I could have ever got a flat frequency out of it), so Im installed an old Alpine HU I had.

I use the Alpine HU to power my rear speakers and I use the JL Audio amp to power my front speakers as well as my sub.

Good luck!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. wharriso

wharriso Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Philadelphia, PA
    16 Explorer Limited
    Crizz, I got the speakers, but they are Infinity Kappa 682.7 CF 2-Way Speakers. I lost my nerve and got the local electronics chain to install them for around $40.00. Now I can hear the crossovers occasionally rattling in the door so I guess I couldn't do worse. Anyway, all the people in the back seat can hear are the front speakers and the subwoofer. The difference is like night and day. I guess I better hurry up and get the back doors done, I'll do it myself this time.

Thanks again!
    ________
    marijuana vaporizer

Last edited: January 23, 2011
  4. Crizz

Crizz Active Member

City, State:
    Germany / Hessen
    actually none
    huuh, doesn´t sound good to me. What´s the difference to the 682 ? And , why the heck does the crossover rattles ? Didn´t they fix it`? It´s so ever easy, just need a piece of double sided tape and place it right beneath the speaker-mount. WIll help get rid of any rattles. But, use a good tape, like those from "3M".

5. wharriso

wharriso Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Philadelphia, PA
    16 Explorer Limited
    Infinity Kappa 572.5:
    Size: 5 x 7
    Sensitivity: 90 dB
    Frequency Response: 40-21,000 Hz
    Recommended RMS Power: 100W
    Peak Power Handling: 300W
    Impedance: 4 ohms
    Shipping: 7lbs
    Warranty: 3 years

Infinity Kappa 682.7:
    Size: 5 x 7
    Sensitivity: 94 dB
    Frequency Response: 75-25,000 Hz
    Recommended RMS Power: 100W
    Peak Power Handling: 300W
    Impedance: 2 ohms
    Shipping: 3.04lbs
    Warranty: 3 years

The 572's are showing up as "not available" at the mail order places I tried. I am guessing the 682's are their replacement. The 572's has greater low-frequency response but the 682's have greater high frequency response. The one thing that bothers me is that the 682s have 2 ohm impedance versus the 4 ohm impedance of the 572s and the original speakers. I have no idea what that means. I figured for $100.00 a pair its not that much of a risk.
    ________
    medical marijuana states

6. Crizz

Crizz Active Member

City, State:
    Germany / Hessen
    actually none
    The lo impedance of 2 ohms some manufacturers are following. It´s only caused by the newer generation of power-amps that are most combined with a 1 ohm / 2 ohm stable output to realize maximum power with the same power-supply. To get the maximum power the load must have the same impedance like the output-stage, otherwise you only have voltage-adaption or current-adaption and power loss. Normaly it doesn´t matter to the HU, shouldn´t cause any damage as long as it´s amp-impedance isn´t higher than 4 ohms ( i only know car equipment from the 90´s with those 8-ohm-amps, and only GE-models ).

7. wharriso

wharriso Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Philadelphia, PA
    16 Explorer Limited
    Well, you certainly know much more than I about this. Do you think it matters if I use the same speakers for the back doors or should I find a 4 ohm solution? Thanks again.
    ________
    iolite vaporizer

8. Crizz

Crizz Active Member

City, State:
    Germany / Hessen
    actually none
    Shouldn´t be a big deal using the same speakers in the rear doors, too - I don´t know any modern car-system ( radio / tuner / HU ) w/o 4-CH-Amp, so it´s no prob for the Amp´s. ( If you would use a 2-Ch.-HU it would be different. But haven´t heared that so old equipment would be still in use ;) )

9. wharriso

wharriso Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Philadelphia, PA
    16 Explorer Limited
    Well, I just finished taping the crossovers with double-sided tape. Besides the dangling crossovers, the guy did a pretty decent job! Instead of cutting the old plugs off (since no one seems to sell a matching harness), he spliced the wires in behind the plug so the plug is still there if I want to put the old speakers back.
    ________
    Honda RC162

10. cmaupin

cmaupin New Member

City, State:
    Gilbert, AZ
    '07 Sport Trac XLT
    Ok, got a question for everyone here. I just replaced my head unit and used the 70-5520 harness. Now my stereo shuts off as soon as I turn the vehicle off instead of when I open the door. Any way to fix that? Also, when I pulled out my old radio, it had two connectors plugged into it. What was the other one for? Do I need to splice into one of those wires to get a different power wire?

11. cmaupin

cmaupin New Member

City, State:
    Gilbert, AZ
    '07 Sport Trac XLT
    Can anyone help me out here??

12. Crizz

Crizz Active Member

City, State:
    Germany / Hessen
    actually none
    I can´t - have sold the Ford-HU because it does not work correctly in GE, so I have no way to check if it is depending on the HU. Cannot remember that mine shut off when I closed the door.

And : I never mind about that. When I leave the car, the music is OFF. When I wan´t to party I make a boom-car out of it, and in this case the HU or any other equipment would NEVEREVER run over the ignition switch.

Why is it so important to you that it shut off when you open the door instead of turning off the key ? Can you explain ?

13. cmaupin

cmaupin New Member

City, State:
    Gilbert, AZ
    '07 Sport Trac XLT
    I'm just used to sitting in my car if there is something good on the radio for a few minutes without it running. It's just a convience thing. Wasn't sure is there was just a different power wire I needed to connect to.

14. Crizz

Crizz Active Member

City, State:
    Germany / Hessen
    actually none
    Normaly "no". If I turn of the engine with turning the key just as far as needed to switch off, the radio stays "on". Only when turning the key to "ign.off" the radio shuts off. Are you sure you tried this way ?

15. cmaupin

cmaupin New Member

City, State:
    Gilbert, AZ
    '07 Sport Trac XLT
    Yea, the radio still works that way. I'm just used to being able to take my keys out and listen for a few mins. Not a huge deal though, just one of those annoying things. Especially since I can't figure out how to fix it. :)

16. JBHorne

JBHorne New Member

City, State:
    Tucson, AZ
    06 Eddie Bauer V8 4x2
    Subwoofer Size

What is the size of the factory subwoofer? I am attempting to perform a replacement of the sound system so that everything looks somewhat "factory". I have heard that the sub is a 6" and also an 8"? Does anyone have an accurate size as well as mounting depths, etc.?

Thank you!

17. tenacioush

tenacioush Member

City, State:
    corpus christi texas
    06 E.B. 4.6L 4x2
    I think its an 8", but how to get to it, I have no idea. Anyone feel like posting a picture walk through of how to get the panel off and get to the sub and the amp in the back? Does the stock hole fit a 10"?

Also, does anyone know what the stock wiring setup is altogether? From what I can gather, its this... (the lines represent wires.... sorta)

HU==front and rear speakers on 4 different channels
    \___low frequency line to the amp which powers the sub.

Am i right?

18. dwink

dwink New Member

City, State:
    Reno
    I can't seem to follow a couple of install notes here, but do any of you have the stock "audiophile" system with upgraded speakers? Does this system have enough power to drive aftermarket speakers?

19. Crizz

Crizz Active Member

City, State:
    Germany / Hessen
    actually none
    Don´t worry about the factory HU´s output - it´s powerful enough to drive most of the available aftermarket-speakers. Just take care not to get 2-ohms-speakers, they could be a little problematically to some integrated amps.

20. dwink

dwink New Member

City, State:
    Reno

Actually, I was looking for those fancy Kappa's that you have. It should be ok to drive those?

21. wharriso

wharriso Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Philadelphia, PA
    16 Explorer Limited
    Now I'm worried Crizz! I've been running with the 2 ohm Kappas for about 4 months. What kind of problems did you see with them?