Auto Air Conditioning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Air Conditioning

kbrettmurphy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer
Does anyone know how to disable the "auto" air conditioning? It gets really annoying when you turn on your AC and it starts up on full blast regardless of the last setting you had it on before you turned it off. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which button are you using to turn the system back on?

Just use either the fan speed knob or button to turn the climate on and set it to the speed you want.

Will it be at that new setting the next time I turn it on? I'm wanting to change the default auto setting if that is possible.

Does anyone know how to disable the "auto" air conditioning? It gets really annoying when you turn on your AC and it starts up on full blast regardless of the last setting you had it on before you turned it off. Thanks in advance.
It would be helpful if you updated your profile with the model and year Explorer so that it will show in the left margin by your name. I have a Limited and my climate is always in 'Auto' mode. The A/C only comes on strong when needed to cool the inside down to the set temperature. If I want the A/C OFF, I simply touch the A/C button. That is on the Sony panel. Depending on your model, the panel may be different.

Peter

You could try this:
Turn it on in auto, set it to a reasonable temp, then turn auto off.
That way if it does turn on in auto, at least it's at a reasonable temp...

Once manually changing the temp or fan or both for AC away from "Auto",
(from steering wheel rt side controls or directly on the console)
the car should keep those settings the next time you start it.
Also the Rear h/ac settings should be remembered as well.

Once manually changing the temp or fan or both for AC away from "Auto",
(from steering wheel rt side controls or directly on the console)
the car should keep those settings the next time you start it.
Also the Rear h/ac settings should be remembered as well.

That's what I was thinking. I tested that though. When I take it off of auto and set the fan speed that I want, as soon as I turn it off and then back on it goes right back to auto blowing full blast.

That's what I was thinking. I tested that though. When I take it off of auto and set the fan speed that I want, as soon as I turn it off and then back on it goes right back to auto blowing full blast.

Sounds like the dealer needs to reprogram or replace the HVAC module.

kbrettmurphy - if you can, post what you outcome is. I hae been dealing with this and the dealer thought there wasn't any solution really. It seems as though the Auto and the AC are tide together or in other words, it is difficult if not impossible to run the AC manually. I am trying the "MY TEMP" button on climate to see if this can be done.

When I hit "auto" to turn it off, the AC turns off as well which I don't want. This "auto" issue also comes into play in that you can't set a temp unless you are prepared to have the heat kick on when the outside air drops south of your setting - which in my mind should never happen unless I want heat. AC and Heat should be independant from each other but they are not.

I'm a new member here since yesterday. While I love my new 13' Expl Sport, I have been posting topics that I am trying to figure out whether or not its a glitch, or just design. To all the ultra proud Ford folks out there, it isn't personal. Saying "I love my Sport" covers the 90% of all the good things going on that we dont need answers on.

I think its by design, the incoming air is heated or routed via a heated path.
The heat is there every time. (I posted this in the MFT-Glitch or Features-we-want sticky.

If you:
turn off ac;
set air to on & external & any fan speed;
set your cabin temp 3* or more lower than the temp displayed by MFT, the air will come in as cool as the outside air.
Set it less than 3* and you feel the heat and you can increase it by
adjusting the temp up.

Something is always opening a heat vent or activating heat based on the exterior temp reading and
the internal cabin temp setting.
For me its always this 3* difference in my cabin temp setting that gets me normal outside air.

First off know one but the people who want this understand this problem truly. what we want is not that simple to achieve it seems... I was told it does this by deign and when I got in fight with them about it they calmed me down and said that the only way to use it is in auto and that I should just wait for the fan speed to come down to a normal speed. I too like to run it my self to control windows from fogging up or just to keep the car alittle warm or alittle cool with the dogs steaming it up constantly I run into this problem with the heat and the air cause I like to control it like you used to with the old cars.
Way I figured around this is to not use the center touch button on Sony or under climate screen, but rather to adjust speed on with steering wheel control. It's the fasted way to get sped down and not to take your eyes off the road to try to hit a button 6 times to adjust.... Steering wheel control is alot faster and safer. Please fix this ford, if we turn the AUTO/ button off DO WHAT I WANT IT TO THEN PLEAE

Back