• Register Today It's free!

auto-locking hub problems

Lazers94Exploder

Reaction score
City, State
IOWA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport 5 spd
I have a 94 explorer sport 5 speed. It doesnt seem like my fronts lock-in when i engage my 4wd. I put it from 2hi to 4hi and drove around the block, then pulled it in the garage and left it in 1st with 4hi still on and shut-off my truck. I jacked up my drivers and passenger sides and both rotated(in right direction) with no resistance.. Are both hubs bad, dirty, or is there something else??

Welcome to the forum. The hubs could be shot. Very common thing. Might want to pull them apart and check and see. If you do a search on the forum you can find a lot of open threads on this issue and what you need to look for. Good Luck!

Could also be the bushings in the 4x4 shift motor on the transfer case. This is a very common problem on these trucks. I replaced my shift motor with a manual shift kit that works great. My shift motor bushings were shot and even though the lights came on, I was not in 4x4.

First, verify that the transfer case is going into 4x4. If it is, you should not be able to turn the front drive shaft when only the front tires are in the aor.

You mention driving around the block. If the ground isnt all snow then you should have felt all kinds of binding. You cannot use 4x4 mode on a 1st gen x on pavement. If the tires cant slip the driveline will bind and if you bind it bad enough the hubs normally break first. Sometimes ujoints go first though.

~Mark

Back