Auto transmission bucking and Jerking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto transmission bucking and Jerking

admiral

Reaction score
City, State
Greenbelt, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
My '94 Explorer bucks and jerks mostly between 35-60Mph. JiffyLube's complete fluid exchange did no good. Changed my spark plugs. I wonder if a complete service is needed or changing the Torque converter.

What is the extent of work needed to change the Torque converter, and how much does this cost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a number of threads here about this problem. Here are some suggestions. But some have found no help with these. But worth a try. Clean your MAF, check your TPS (throttle position sensor), replace your plug wires. , replace your plugs. Try these first. Search the site for more info on all these procedures.

Mass Air Flow meter:D

If while the truck is in motion the engine suddenly revs, followed by a forward trust (jerks), like the gears where re-engaging. Does that make any difference in your diagnosis?

Why didn't you say that before?:) That sounds like your tranny.:( I'm not familiar with tranny diagnosis. But keep searching the site. Our trannies are a weak point and are discussed a lot. Good luck. You did check the fluid level didn't you? That's all I can help you with, sorry.

Back