Auto-unfold when going into drive? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto-unfold when going into drive?

jdgonzalez

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Park, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
I have a 2017 Explorer Limited with mirror autofold. The system works well if you lock the car with the remote and unlock it. It folds and unfolds as you would expect. But in my case I fold the mirrors as I drive into my garage. Because I'm driving into my garage, I don't lock it. So when I get in, back out, and drive off, the mirrors never fold back out unless I hit the button. Is there a way around this? Or hopefully a setting that I missed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't seem to mind pushing the button to fold then when you enter the garage, is it a bother to push the button when you exit the garage? If the key fob is on your person, you can lock and unlock the car just by putting your hand to the outside door handle there is no need to actually touch the remote to lock the car. Then your mirrors would auto extend when you start the car.

Do you need the mirrors to remain folded until you exit the garage because of clearance issues?

I was surprised to see how little clearance is gained when you fold the mirrors. It almost has no benefit in terms of space gained.

Because I leave early before the sun comes up I forget they are closed and typically don't notice the mirrors being folded until I'm a few blocks down. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal but it would sure be nice to not have to worry about unfolding them.

I've also been known to hit the side of my garage with mirrors. But that's just between you and me:)

As bigtexan99 alluded to, since you fold them to enter the garage, wouldn't you want them folded to exit? Also, as he mentioned, you don't need the remote to lock/unlock the door. In fact I hardly ever use the remote for that purpose. 99.9% of the time I just use the door handle to lock/unlock the door, leaving the fob in my pocket. I don't believe there is any setting that you have missed and I don't know if there is a way around it by using Forscan.

Peter

The issue is with remembering to hit the button to unfold them. It's just a behavior thing. I'm getting better at it:) I looked at the FORScan spreadsheet and couldn't find anything.

You'll just need to get into the routine of push to fold/push to unfold

Back