• Register Today It's free!

Auto unlock doors in Park

rotordrew

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Is there any way to have my doors unlock when I put my X in park? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes program it on the settings

I resorted to turning off auto lock. One of the options in the vehicle settings.

Not exactly what I wanted (pull twice to unlock rear doors), but now whoever's in the back can get out without me having to push on the unlock button.

Auto unlock on the 15 only unlocks all the doors when I turn the car off. Kind of annoying if you are dropping someone off at the curb.

Is there any way to have my doors unlock when I put my X in park? Thanks!
If you have Autolock/Unlock enabled, the answer is NO. Simply putting it in 'Park' will not unlock the doors. You have to turn the ignition OFF or to Accessory and open the driver's door. This is covered in your Owner's Manual.

Peter

I resorted to turning off auto lock. One of the options in the vehicle settings.

Not exactly what I wanted (pull twice to unlock rear doors), but now whoever's in the back can get out without me having to push on the unlock button.

I turn off auto lock on all my vehicles. It's for people who have small children.

I turn off auto lock on all my vehicles. It's for people who have small children.

I guess living out in hillbilly territory makes you immune from stop light car jacking. In more urban areas, a popular technique for thugs is to sneak up to the drivers unlocked door, open it, unbuckle/cut your seat belt, and throw your a$$ out of the car.

It's not just for kids. It prudent practice.

http://www.citizendefensetraining.com/preventing_carjacking.htm

Are people really that lazy that they cannot push the unlock button? I remember what life was like before power door locks. Come people, exercise those fingers!

Are people really that lazy that they cannot push the unlock button? I remember what life was like before power door locks. Come people, exercise those fingers!

not lazy...just can't get used to this.

After 30 some years of not having to do it and only one of our current 3 vehicles work like this so I always forget. Drive up in front of the school/store/practice....whatever it is and sit there waiting for the kid to get out and they can't.

They forget as well....sit there pulling and pulling on the latch and then the bulb goes on...hey, let me out. Annoys the entire family so turned it off.

I guess living out in hillbilly territory makes you immune from stop light car jacking. In more urban areas, a popular technique for thugs is to sneak up to the drivers unlocked door, open it, unbuckle/cut your seat belt, and throw your a$$ out of the car.

It's not just for kids. It prudent practice.

http://www.citizendefensetraining.com/preventing_carjacking.htm

If you actually live where that type of stuff happens, I feel really sorry for you. I would:
1. Move, or
2. Get a concealed weapons permit, carry a 9mm or maybe a 40 in a quick release holster on the console, and shoot the bastids that pull open my door.

Remember, everyone in WV carries guns, so we don't get messed with! Like the old song says...The bad guys know us and they leave us alone!

.......Remember, everyone in WV carries guns, so we don't get messed with! Like the old song says...The bad guys know us and they leave us alone!
I just hope it never gets to that stage up here!

Peter

Reprogramming 2016 Locks

Hello everyone, I searched the site and couldn't find any info so apologies if this is already out there and I missed it. I have a 16 Explorer Limited and would like the door locks to all unlock when I put the car in park (instead of just the drivers door unlocking...possible?

i believe that in the vehicle settings on the left side of the speedo you can set that .

Along these same lines, can the locks be set to automatically lock after the last door is closed? My Cadillac does this and I keep walking away from the Explorer and forgetting to lock it.

Hello everyone, I searched the site and couldn't find any info so apologies if this is already out there and I missed it. I have a 16 Explorer Limited and would like the door locks to all unlock when I put the car in park (instead of just the drivers door unlocking...possible?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
What you are after isn't available in the Explorer. Doors will only unlock after the ignition is turned off and the driver's door is opened. There is no setting to allow for all doors to unlock when putting the vehicle in Park.

Peter

Along these same lines, can the locks be set to automatically lock after the last door is closed? My Cadillac does this and I keep walking away from the Explorer and forgetting to lock it.
Nope.

Peter

Bummer. Thanks!

With my '12 Limited, I can lock the doors before all the doors are closed and they will stay locked after the last door is locked.

Not automatic, but I don't have to wait either.

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
What you are after isn't available in the Explorer. Doors will only unlock after the ignition is turned off and the driver's door is opened. There is no setting to allow for all doors to unlock when putting the vehicle in Park.

Peter

Not the answer I wanted but thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back