Auto Wiper Setting in 2016 Platinum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Wiper Setting in 2016 Platinum

pwscott

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Windsor County, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Silver Explorer ST
Callsign
N3KDJ
So the auto wiper documentation in the manual doesn't really match what's in my new Ex Platinum....The 'stalk' doesn't go up and down for example which is what it says in the manual. There is a series of lines that you can twist the stalk to set, but they seem to behave more like intermittent wipers that rain-sensing.

Anyone with a '16 Platinum confirm for me...Is all I have to do set the number by twisting clockwise on the stalk and when it rains and the rain amount increases, the wipers will increase?? I think that should be a 'sensitivity' setting not speed right? Obviously one could crank it all the way round to get 'High Wipers', but I'd like to take advantage of the rain-sensing feature.

(Also key to have them OFF when going to the drive though car wash)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can confirm that is how they operate. Same on my 2005 Cadillac STS, too :D

yes, all you have to do is have it in auto. In auto the sensor will adjust speed based on "metered" rain/water hitting the windshield. You can over-ride it at any time by twisting to go regular and high if the system isn't to your liking. FYI - The stalk will push down for a single wipe.

Yes,

Rotating the cylinder on the stalk increases the sensitivity. You'll have to play around with it to find your favorite setting.

I sometimes get a "phantom" wipe when no rain is in site. I live near a lake and river,so this could be condensation but I'm not sure. When this happens there is no obvious water on the windshield.

Living in the desert, i just leave in "OFF" until rain is expected (not often) to avoid any random swipes.

The sensitivity increases as you turn the knob. If it doesn't swipe enough for your liking give it another twist until you like the setting. The top two settings are low and high without the sensor.

Back