Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Auto Wiper Setting in 2016 Platinum

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by pwscott, April 8, 2016.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Tags:
  1. pwscott

pwscott Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Windsor County, VT
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    N3KDJ
    So the auto wiper documentation in the manual doesn't really match what's in my new Ex Platinum....The 'stalk' doesn't go up and down for example which is what it says in the manual. There is a series of lines that you can twist the stalk to set, but they seem to behave more like intermittent wipers that rain-sensing.

Anyone with a '16 Platinum confirm for me...Is all I have to do set the number by twisting clockwise on the stalk and when it rains and the rain amount increases, the wipers will increase?? I think that should be a 'sensitivity' setting not speed right? Obviously one could crank it all the way round to get 'High Wipers', but I'd like to take advantage of the rain-sensing feature.

(Also key to have them OFF when going to the drive though car wash)

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. chazglenn3

chazglenn3 Active Member

City, State:
    Tacoma , WA
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    I can confirm that is how they operate. Same on my 2005 Cadillac STS, too :D

4. cwescapexlt4x4

cwescapexlt4x4 Explorin' the Desert SW Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Litchfield Park, AZ area...
    2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
    yes, all you have to do is have it in auto. In auto the sensor will adjust speed based on "metered" rain/water hitting the windshield. You can over-ride it at any time by twisting to go regular and high if the system isn't to your liking. FYI - The stalk will push down for a single wipe.

5. Professorfingers

Professorfingers Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Russellville, AR
    2016 Ford Ex Platinum
    Yes,

Rotating the cylinder on the stalk increases the sensitivity. You'll have to play around with it to find your favorite setting.

I sometimes get a "phantom" wipe when no rain is in site. I live near a lake and river,so this could be condensation but I'm not sure. When this happens there is no obvious water on the windshield.

6. cwescapexlt4x4

cwescapexlt4x4 Explorin' the Desert SW Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Litchfield Park, AZ area...
    2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
    Living in the desert, i just leave in "OFF" until rain is expected (not often) to avoid any random swipes.

7. chazglenn3

chazglenn3 Active Member

City, State:
    Tacoma , WA
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    The sensitivity increases as you turn the knob. If it doesn't swipe enough for your liking give it another twist until you like the setting. The top two settings are low and high without the sensor.