1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Autolamp/autodimming Mirror

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by '96explorereddiebauer, July 12, 2000.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. '96explorereddiebauer

'96explorereddiebauer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      Hey! I have a '96 Eddie Bauer. It didn't have the autolamp/auto-dimming mirror. The first owner didn't order the autolamp. I suspect it was an option then, but is there anyway that I can get a mirror and the wiring from the junk yard (if I'm lucky) or at the dealership and hook it up?? If I can do that, how much is it gonna cost? Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. FlyAU

FlyAU Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, GA
      2013 GLI, 2013 Escape
      JC Whitney sells an aftermarket autodimming mirror kit that looks pretty durn close to the Ford OEM one.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=53735

Autodimming Mirror w/Digital Compass & Thermometer- $248.95

Autodimming Mirror, Std.- $98.95

4. '96explorereddiebauer

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      I've seen something like that in the catalog, but I also want the autolamp function, which controls the headlights. But I like that. Is it hard to wire it up though?? Thanks.

5. Stephen

Stephen Moderator In Memoriam Elite In Memoriam

City, State:
      Annapolis, MD
      '97 Limited
      Contact Torrie at Ford Parts Network torrie@fordpartsnetwork.com and mention you are a member of the Serious Explorations Website. He'll give you a good price on the parts. It will depend on your local dealer how much you will be charged to have it installed.

6. 93EddieBauer

93EddieBauer Member

City, State:
      Waukesha, WI
      '93 Eddie Bauer, '98 XLT
      I put the factory mirror in my '93 Eddie Bauer. The Auto Dimming part is real easy to do, just hook up the power leads, ground, and one wire to the back up lead and it's done. The autolamp is a different story. There is one wire that comes off of the mirror for it. This is a relay turn on wire. The headlights are then controlled by a two relay system, one for the parking lights and one for the headlights. When the mirror senses that it's dark enough, it sends 12V through the wire to turn on the relays and the lights come on. The problem is that the wiring harnesses are vehicle specific, that is, an Eddie Bauer w/ autolamps will have a different wiring harness than one without. Thus making it impossible to just plug the mirror in. On mine I tried to duplicate the factory relay system as close as possible and then just tapped into the wires that feed out of the headlight switch to the lights. I hope this can clear some things up. Let me know if you have any questions.

7. 93EddieBauer

93EddieBauer Member

City, State:
      Waukesha, WI
      '93 Eddie Bauer, '98 XLT
      I put the factory mirror in my '93 Eddie Bauer. The Auto Dimming part is real easy to do, just hook up the power leads, ground, and one wire to the back up lead and it's done. The autolamp is a different story. There is one wire that comes off of the mirror for it. This is a relay turn on wire. The headlights are then controlled by a two relay system, one for the parking lights and one for the headlights. When the mirror senses that it's dark enough, it sends 12V through the wire to turn on the relays and the lights come on. The problem is that the wiring harnesses are vehicle specific, that is, an Eddie Bauer w/ autolamps will have a different wiring harness than one without. Thus making it impossible to just plug the mirror in. On mine I tried to duplicate the factory relay system as close as possible and then just tapped into the wires that feed out of the headlight switch to the lights. I hope this can clear some things up. Let me know if you have any questions.

8. vbtruk

vbtruk Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Victoria, AUSTRALIA
      '98 XLT
      Hi i also want to wire up the mirror with autolamp and overhead console soon and have all the info off this awesome site for the console and dimming mirror but not the auto lamp so if i really want to install it how can i get the or make the wirring harnes for the auto dim feature for my 97 SOHC XLT
      Thanks in advance!

9. '96explorereddiebauer

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      I got everything to work. Both Autodimming and autolamp function.

This quote is for the AutoDimming function:

And for AutoLamp...

Just try to find the white/purple wire under the dash, near the e-brake lever. You'll see a loom of wires and just dig in and find it. The hardest part is to put in the wiretap. Good luck!!

One note about autolamp. Since I didn't wire it to the headlight switch, your switch will be defective when the mirror turns the lights on. In order to control the lights in the dark, such as turning on the parking lights, you have to turn autolamp off then switch on the parking lights. Also, when you're at a junkyard, try to find a mirror that is from a '94-'96. That's the one that looks square-ish and have a few buttons and a slider instead of the newer ones with only a slider control. Good luck!!

10. MONMIX

MONMIX I fix dents Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Millersville , Maryland
      2000 Explorer Sport
      That's how my factory set up is.
      It is soupose to be that way.

btw the auto-on is by far my fav feature on my Ex

11. vbtruk

vbtruk Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Victoria, AUSTRALIA
      '98 XLT
      Hey thanks guys i already have had the mirror and overhead console for ages now but i am finnaly going to put them in i have the newer mirror with slide only and the overhead with the switch instead of the pocket! i'll need to buy the bracket and temp sensor though!!!

Just with the Auto lamp what is W/P and is it that simple, just splicing in to this purple white wire? can you tell me in a little more detail where it is i think my rig is different to your's? The E-Brake do you mean hand brake cos mine is on the console as i have a floor shift?
      Thanks for your help guys!

12. '96explorereddiebauer

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      I didn't know about that. I thought the switch can override the function. I learn something everyday. Thanks man!!

vbtruk,
      Yep! Just splice it in. Your application might be different because it's a right hand drive. I don't know about the wiring there. But for the North American Explorers, the wire is located under the driver's (left) side of the dash, near the foot brake. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it. Hope this helps.

13. vbtruk

vbtruk Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Victoria, AUSTRALIA
      '98 XLT
      '96explorereddiebauer

You are a CHAMP!

Ok that would really help if you could take a pic i'll look on my driver's side and passenger side for it! could it be behind the kick panel's?

what exactly does that wire do???

On some of the other thread's people are saying that you need to get a proper wiring harness for the autolamp and a different headlight switch but if it is as easy as splicing one wirer i would have done it yonks ago!!!
      thanks

Last edited: March 23, 2003
    14. vbtruk

vbtruk Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Victoria, AUSTRALIA
      '98 XLT
      One more question, i have read on othere threads that the RAP is in the jack compartment in the back of the truck, is this correct????

15. '96explorereddiebauer

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      The W/P wire is coming from the RAP module to control the operations of headlights and parking lights so when the alarm goes off, the W/P wire carries an electronic signal to the headlight/parking lights/dimmer relays to complete the signal, turning on the lights in a sequence. The Autolamp also uses this signal to control the lights. I hope this answers your question.

The wire is not located behind the kick panels. It's in a big loom of wires. It's soooo big. I think it's at least a couple of inches in diameter. For the North American version, the loom of wires are located directly left of the steering column shaft. I'm guessing that the loom of wires are right of the steering column shaft for the right hand drive (RHD) models.

You don't need a wiring harness nor a module to make autolamp to work. Just tap the wire and that's all.

Yes, the RAP is in the jack compartment of the truck. But you don't have to run the wire to the back, just run the wire down below your instrument panel.

I forgot to mention something about the autolamp. The delay won't work. I don't know why but I really don't care for the delay so I'm not even gonna figure out why.

EDIT (8/24/04): The delay does work now. You need to splice one of the wires to a wire that is hot at all times such as an accessory plug on the side of the center console or a cigarette lighter. Instructions are on the next page.

Last edited: August 24, 2004
    16. vbtruk

vbtruk Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Victoria, AUSTRALIA
      '98 XLT
      Thanks heaps for that i will do it when i get my indiglows and install all at once on a few days off!!!
      Also do you know anything about the message centre install on an XLT? any pics of one?

17. '96explorereddiebauer

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      No problem!! Don't bother installing the message center. It's doable but it's a pain in the butt to do it. Involves a lot of splicing and I remember some guy took like 20 hours to get everything to work. It's totally not worth it.

18. vbtruk

vbtruk Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Victoria, AUSTRALIA
      '98 XLT
      ok i'll take your word for it! but it sure would be nice to have! sigh.

19. '96explorereddiebauer

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      Yeah. It's a nice thing to have. I have one in my Eddie Bauer and it's pretty accurate. But once you're tired of it, you'll leave it in that same mode. For me, it is the number of gallons used. But like I said...it's nice to have but it does not worth spending 20+ hours working on it. If ya have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

20. vbtruk

vbtruk Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Victoria, AUSTRALIA
      '98 XLT
      Acctualy One more QUESTION???

I was just thinking about the outside temp sensor for the overhead console as i need to get one of those still and was wanting to know if i will also need the inside temp sensor that sits behind the little grill in the dash???
      Again Thanks.

21. vbtruk

vbtruk Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Victoria, AUSTRALIA
      '98 XLT
      You know what!!! I can't even install a message centre in my rig as our "X"s in AUS have a centre auto trans floor shift so i guess that the "X"s here cant have EM!

22. '96explorereddiebauer

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      For the sensor, remember to get one that is the same year as your overhead console. If you get some other years, you'll get some very wrong reading. There're no interior temp sensors. The only sensor you'll need is the one in front of the radiator. As for the temp sensor that sits behind the little grill in the dash, you need automatic climate control. I don't believe you have auto climate control so don't worry about getting that.

23. vbtruk

vbtruk Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Victoria, AUSTRALIA
      '98 XLT
      Thanks, so my question now is will the overhead console tell me the inside temp or just the outside???
      thanks again.

24. '96explorereddiebauer

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      Just outside.

25. '96explorereddiebauer

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      Oh yeah...forgot. Here's a pic of the wire loom.

[​IMG]

The W/P wire is in that jungle of wires. The wire is toward the lower left corner of the picture, where the wiretap is.

26. vbtruk

vbtruk Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Victoria, AUSTRALIA
      '98 XLT
      thanks heaps billy