Autolamp/autodimming Mirror | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Autolamp/autodimming Mirror

Ok, That all makes a hell of alot more sense now. But I still am not 100% sure if the w/p wire is supposed to pulse a ground every second or so. I don't have a proper wiring diagram to figure this one out. I have the Haynes and the Chiltons from Canadian tire and walmart respectively, but they don't get into enough detail on the wiring, infact they dont even get into anything other than basic systems that are on the truck. I am not sure if mine is working 100% because the ex that i got it out of was in a roll over and the winsheild was smashed all to bits. Yesterday when i found it, it was raining and the mirror ended up getting pretty wet. When i got it home i took it all apart on the work bench and dried it out. Once it was dried I bench tested it and the dim worked fine, but that w/p wire just keeps giving negative pulses. Anyway 96explorereddiebauer, thanks a mil for the help. I started to install the mirror today because i know for sure the auto dim works, but caught quite a chill and came inside to warm up! Man, when will spring get here! haha.

Hoppy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are very welcome. That's what this board is for...helping each other out.

Spring?? I thought it's here but I guess not. It was 80 degrees yesterday and had snow this morning.

As for the w/p wire, just tap it in and see if it works. That's the only way to find out for sure. I'm sure it'll work famously. Good luck and report back!

WOW, ABUH!!!

Dudes! I got it! I just did another test and got the same results when i used the test light. The light flashed once every second or so. So, I tried a volt meter and it stayed steady at 12.2 volts. I tried the light again and it started blinking again. So, i ran up to the garage and got a spare relay. I put that in line with the positive post and the w/p wire. The relay clicked and did not start clicking steady. I hooked the test light up to it and the light stayed on until i either turned the auto lamp off or the autolamp shut the w/p feed off. So then just out of curiosity i tried the test light again and it flashed. So, and you are going to think i am nuts for even trying this but i put the w/p wire to the positive post of the battery and the light started flashing again at one second intervals. So, my conclusion is that if the w/p wire is overloaded it will automatically safe guard itself from frying the electronics in the mirror by giving pulses. You can tell just by the orange indicator light flashing. Anyway, if i get a chance this week, it is going in! Woo Hoo!

Anyway, back to that other plug. the 96 EB Ex that i took the mirror from had no other plug for the mirror, but if you look on the forward side of the mirror where the 5 wire / 6 pin connector hooks into, there is another 2 pin connector there. This is the one I was questioning. It doesn't really matter to me now because i know i have a working auto dim/lamp mirror. But I am just curious. Maybe with this extra 2 pin plug, if we can figure it out, maybe the truck will do something really cool. Maybe like drive itself! Ha Ha. Just kidding.

Yeah, spring had sprung here on Friday, while i was at work, then Saturday it was cold and rainy, then today 30 F and snowy. At least this time I don't have to shovel!

Anyway, thanks once again. I'll be back here for sure once i get that overhead console for the truck. I'll turn this XL into an Eddie Bauer yet!

Later,

Hoppy

Oh that...I have not a clue what it's there for. I looked at the shop manual and it didn't say anything about it.

Hey 96 thanks heaps, sorry but i didn't get time to hook it up yet maybe this week!!! Anyway just a query with the wiring so i know what i am doing when the time comes, "BK/PK is to the transmission range selector" can you just explain what wire this is, where and why????
By the way i found the RAP wire it is under the steering wheel in that jungle (haha) it's next to the accelerator pedal for me.
THANKS AGAIN GUY's.

Hey 96, you know, after getting offline last night and thinking about it. I see there is another photo cell on the front of the mirror. I tried everything to get it to dim the mirror. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, but after some thought, and knowing that most lincolns and some Merc marquis and Crown Vics come with the auto lamp/dimmer, and these cars also have that weird coloured windshield in them (that i think may have an electric light filter in it), maybe that other plug and photo cell operates the power supply to the windsheild so it filters out bright light? Just a thought.

Anyway, vbtruk, that black/pink wire gets linked to the reverse lights. I am not going to hook that up because all it does is if you put power to this wire while the mirror is dimmed, it will return the mirror to the normal reflection. I can't see spending all the time to hook this up because all you have to do is press the off button on the auto dimmer power.

If you guys have any q's on it, let me know. I'll hook this thing up this week sometime and try to get it operating.

Hoppy

THANKS DOOOOODES!!!
I just have to say that you are all CHAMPS in my book.
I definately want to hook up all the wires so what color wire and exactly where is the best wire to splice into the black/pink wire from the mirror.
i cant wait to stick em in, i am still waiting for my indiglow guages so i can do it all at once but procarparts.com have not replied to the 3 emails i sent so i might have to call them.
Thanks again

Hoppy, the mirror has 3 light sensors, one for the headlights and the other two are for the dimming fuction. The one that's at the end of the little plastic thingy at the windshield is for the headlight. The one on the front side of the mirror (plastic part) is to detect ambiant outside light and obviously, the one on back (the mirror part) of the mirror is to detect light from behind. In order to dim the mirror in the daytime, you have to cover up the sensor with your hand or something at the front of the mirror (the plastic side) while shining a light at the sensor at the mirror part of the mirror. I hope this makes sense.

Yeah, that would make sense.

Thanks,

Hoppy

hey guys while your here what wire and where is it for the black pink in the mirror????

I haven't looked, and like i said, i am not going to bother hooking it up because it just turns the dim on the mirror off. But for the question you have, I would imagine if you crawled under the truck and looked at the transmission range selector, or if the shift linkage has a separate neutral/park, reverse light switch on it, the wire would probably start there. You could probably find where it goes, possibly into the cab near the tranny hump and you could hook into it there where the harness goes into the cab, if it even does go into the cab.

Hoppy

Ok Thanks i'll look into it!

Originally posted by Hoppy
I haven't looked, and like i said, i am not going to bother hooking it up because it just turns the dim on the mirror off. But for the question you have, I would imagine if you crawled under the truck and looked at the transmission range selector, or if the shift linkage has a separate neutral/park, reverse light switch on it, the wire would probably start there. You could probably find where it goes, possibly into the cab near the tranny hump and you could hook into it there where the harness goes into the cab, if it even does go into the cab.

Hoppy

Like he said...there should be a wire in the steering column. Good luck finding it. I didn't hook that wire up b/c it's not worth it. I can always cancel it with a press of a button on the mirror.

I do want to hook it up as my mirror only has the slide for the autolamp, no buttons i'll let you know soon

Well guys, I got the mirror installed, and just got home from getting groceries with the wife. The dim worked great. Not a problem. In fact, I love it! What an awesome setup that is! But I cannot get the autolamps to work. I found the w/p wire and tried hooking it up. Nothing happened. I then tried grounding that wire, nothing again. I tried to apply 12 v to it and nothing again. My suspision is that my XL trim package, never came with any kind of fancy options other than p/windows, locks, cruise and AC. I am pretty sure that there is no RAP unit installed in my truck either, unless it is located where i can't see it. I had a look where the jack compartment is, pulled out the relay box that is sitting there and had a look there for the w/p wire. No w/p wire is in that box. Infact, there are two of the smaller kind of relay spaces that are vacant and there are no wires going into the slots where the relay would hook in. Maybe that is where the w/p wire was supposed to go? Anyway, that cluster that 96explorereddiebauer said the w/p wire is located isn't there on my truck. I spent about 1/2 an hour under there looking until the headrush i got became overwhelming! I had to get out. So, just figuring that Ford put the RAP module back near the Jack comparment, I had a suspicion that the w/p wire must run back there. I had a look under the drivers kick plate that is on the floor keeping the carpet down, and found the w/p wire that i fore mentioned. Is this the one that controls the lighting? I am lost with this one. I think what I am going to have to do is pull the headlight switch and find out which is which and install a relay system to control the lights in the truck. Actually this isn't bad because I am going to install a remote starter in the near future.

Hoppy...

Just to let you know for some strange reason i already have the plug for the temp sensor near my radiator so i bought the sensor from FORD and if i plug it in would it be safe to assume that the wires will be in the roof liner somewhere to hook up to the console???
Anyway i just got my indiglow face guages and they are the wrong ones again!!!! GRRRR! i ordered a specific type and getting another type from procarparts, has anyone else had this problem???

Hoppy, I'm glad you're enjoying your mirror. It's awesome!! As to your problem with your headlights, you don't have it probably b/c you don't have RAP installed in your truck. Maybe you can try to tap it in and see.

vbtruk, sorry to hear about your gauges. Procarparts isn't the best company but try again. I seriously don't know about the temperature sensor wires. Anyone like to come in and reply??

Hey 96 it's the second time they have sent me the wrong guages and now i am getting really tired of waiting for them as well as wondering how long it will take before they send me the right ones. I call them and sit on hold for ages (international) call mind you costing big bucks and they dont even know which face gauges they sent me so i had to take a photo and e-mail it to them.
WHAT IS UP WITH THAT????
so as soon as i get if and when that happens i will install them as well as the overhead console and auto dim mirror and let you know. i will send you pics to!

Well Guys, I got the autolamps working.

I had to wire in two relays in order to operate the headlights and parking lights as they both have different power feeds into the headlight switch.

Thanks for all the help,

Hoppy...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet!! I'm glad you got it to work. I guess being an XL model, it doesn't have the stuff I have in mine, that tends to have some difficulties. Congrats on your work!! I love the autolamp function. It's awesome!!

Back