Autolamp/autodimming Mirror | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Autolamp/autodimming Mirror

Originally posted by vbtruk
ok 96 remember that photo you posted on page 2, well can you remember where that w/p wire is going as i have looked all over the ford cd and can't seem to track where it goes but have found that there are more than one w/p wire's on the ford cd that all play different roles one of which is the autolamp so i need to splice it in the right spot so i was thinking as mine is an overseas model i might be in the wrong spot so can you give me as much info as to where i can find the w/p wire??? What if i drop the panel's under the steering column do you think i would find the w/p wire near the headlight switch?
It's definately there i just need to find it.

In my truck, that wire only goes from the RAP to the exterior lighting relays and the dimmer relay, then to the Autolamp. I've spotted the same colored wire at two different locations under the dash. One is at the parking brake (the one I spliced) and the other one is near the relay box for the headlights, parking lights, etc... That relay box is located near the center console. I chose to splice the one near the parking brake is because of convenience but both of these places worked. I guess you're gonna have to build a relay box for it. I'm sorry I don't have any more info on that. I really hope Hoppy gets back on here and do some explainations about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok thanks 96 whats the easiest way to get to it near the RAP or centre console as i don't feel like pulling off all the mouldings to get to the RAP is all.

You're welcome. I believe Ford put the RAP at the same location as the US Explorers. It should be located at the left side, behind the rear door. There should be a door you can take out in the quater panel.

sorry 96 no dorr there i would have to pull apart the whole left side including the seatbelt and thats what it says on the ford cd to, oh well i'll keep looking and wait for hoppy, thanks heaps 96.

Well guys, I am back. I had a wonderful, but time consuming trip with the company. Now I have to get lots of work done, but nevertheless, I will try to work on that wiring diagram to post here on the thread here. I am going to have to take the dashboard apart once again because I cannot remember what I did to wire up the relay bank. So, bear with me and I will get you guys the info on wiring up the autolamps. One thing though. I have to figure out how to bypass the warning chime because when the autolamps are on and I open the door with the engine off the chime dings until I either let the lamps shut off by themselves, or by closing the door. It is annoying to me, but I will figure it out yet.

Hoppy

vbtruk:
i already tried it...no w/p wire at the switch...and yes the RAP that i got does have the w/p wire in it...im thinkin that if you dont have the RAP and the relay box for it...then you will not have autolamps... hence you need relays...you either can get a factory keyless entry with the relay box or can get an aftermarket one (which will come with its own relay) or run your own relays like hoppy did...because you need relays for it to work...there are two different spots where the factory keyless entry is....1. in the jack compartment right behind the relay box...(which it shares) and....2. right under the rear passengers seat...

billy: i got that...that is the message center itself...but what i am talking about is that when you remove the radio dash out....on the drivers side there is a 4x4 module and on the right side there is another module but it doesnt say on it....i went back and got it yesterday...out of like 20 wires....10 match the wires that are coming out of the message center itself i got the relay box and the other little module that are off to the sides of the middle console...if you take it out...you will see a little module to the left and the relay on the right....right by the power supply hole (cigar lighter hole)

oh and that guy who said his autolamps come on even in the daylight when in his garage....your sensors are probaly sensing its night time when you are in the garage hence autolamps come on...

Thanks "BIG C" i'll check it out but probbably just run my own relays like hoppy when he sends the diagram, thanks all of you it been interesting,and let me know how it goes with the message centre.
thanks

i will...i just hope it works (fingers crossed) i hope your autolamps work...if i know how to hook up relays i would let you know...i only hooked up 1 relay in my life when i put aftermarket fog lights on and that was 2 years ago....i dont the instructions for the relays anymore...wish i still have it...but anyways...this week has been hectic with my X...i just put in that long middle console w/ the armrest, overhead console (rewiring the lights), dual vanity mirrors, another map light for the rear passengers, afterburner exhaust tip, eco deflectors, tornado, clear headlight lens, bug deflector (II), auto dim/auto lamps rear view mirror, wood grain radio dash insert bezel, fog light switch, leather seats, message center (not wired yet), factory keyless entry (not wired yet, off of a 99 X), inside temperature sensor and digital reading...(i took apart another overhead console and snatched the digital reader and i am gonna put it right under the stereo as soon as i get my kenwood kv911 dvd player w/ popout monitor, so far i just did the wiring for it...you know the heater blows at 95 degress on hot) i love it, i cant wait to put that in!!! that would be sooo cool...and now i am waiting on my fog lights, as soon as install it i am gonna rewire the fog light relay to where you can turn fog lights on when ever ya want to instead only when the headlights are on.... i just got a scanner today...so as soon as i am all done i'll try to post some pics....and thanks everyone for the big help!!!

you know what i just figured out? the X's who have the console blower motor, the on/off switch is on the electrial hvac controls and i have the one with knobs...so today i swung by the ol' junkyard and picked that up because on it has the temperature readings for inside the cab and the on/off switch for the console blower motor...so now i hope i have everything for my middle console and message center to work...this damn cd needs to hurry up and get here!!! oh yea! i got good knows for me....when i went to another junkyard ...they had the bumper with the chrome sides and fog light holes and i asked the guy who ownes the place if he would let me have that bumper and i will give him the bumper i have now and the middle console that i had...not the one i just bought but the other one that is short....so he said come back tomorrow on friday and we will work out a deal...i would be soooooo very happy if i get this cuz i got the foglights and brackets for it a few days ago....plus got the switch...just need to do some wiring to this relay for it...so im not getting these other foglights that i was planning cuz now i dont know where to put 'em and who cares....

HOPPY: have you gotten that relay diagram?
there are 4 spots...
30, 85, 86, and 87....what goes to what?

Guys, I am so so soo very sorry I never got back to you sooner. I have one major prob. I can't post an image here. Can you guys post it? I will e mail the pic to one of you if you want.

I have been so busy at work it has been unreal, My poor truck is even feeling the neglect!

Hoppy

If you E-Mail it to me i can post it up!

i got the bumper!!!! it looks soooo nice....also, i would be damned! it is all prewired now my oem foglights work!!! and i also rewired the relay to where i can have my fogs on with the lights off...parking lights on, low beams and high beams!!! its great, i love it, that bumper really dresses it up!

I am trying to post that diagram but it tells me that the file size is to big how can i make it smaller it's about 312,000 bytes in a GIF format the lowest i could get it?

Here it is thanks to hoppy but i don't quite understand it, are there 2 4 pin relay's in there? and what color wires are going in to the numbers. Also what position does the W/P wire come in at??? Could someone explain this to me in more detail cos i am **** with electronics.
By the way thanks heaps Hoppy i cant wait to hookit up.
Thanks. :D

Attachments

• relay diagram1.jpg
    relay diagram1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 407

RELAY #1 RELAY #2

30 (POWER) CONNECTED 30 (POWER)
__|___ __|___
| | | |HEAD
86| | 87A- PARKING LIGHTS | |LAMP
| | 86| |87A
______ ______
| |
85 85
TO W/P WIRE TO W/P WIRE

RELAY #1 PIN 86 IS CONNECTED TO RELAY #2 PIN 86

RELAY #1 PIN 87A IS CONNECTED TO THE PARKING LIGHTS

RELAY #1 PIN 30 IS CONNECTED TO RELAY #2 PIN 30 AND WHICH THEY ARE BOTH SPLICED INTO A 12V CONSTANT POWER SOURCE WITH A FUSE...

RELAY #1 PIN 85 IS CONNECTED TO RELAY #2 PIN 85 WHICH ARE BOTH SPLICED INTO THE W/P WIRE

RELAY #2 PIN 87A IS CONNECTED TO THE HEADLAMPS

Hey Hoppy, what pin is the ground? Isnt it pin 86??? or is it just grounded when connected up to the headlights and parking lights? And, also...the wiring to the lights, did you do it at the light switch??? Or routed the wires to the headlights themselves?

geez, that got all messed up...o'well, the directions to the pins on both of the relays are there though...

Hey Guys,

it doesn't matter what terminal you use for the coil. You can use 85 or 86 to ground. But keep in mind that the W/P wire grounds these connections through the mirror. You have to supply power to the other coil, being 85 or 86 so the W/P can ground and put power through the coil of the relay and close the contact between terminals 30 and 87a.

The wiring, I hooked it into the wiring at the headlight switch, not the headlights themselves, or parking lights for that matter. One thing else, I have a problem with the lights on warning chime when the autolights are on and the door is opened. So, that said, I am not sure, but there may be a relay located on the passenger side on the frame rail area under the alternator that houses the parking light relay, and quite possibly the headlights as well. If there are relays for these circuits, this might be a way to eliminate the warning chime, but don't quote me, as I haven't investigated it yet.

Hoppy...

hoppY:
The wires off of the headlight switch...what wire colors did you splice into? for the parking lights and headlights?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Um, If I remember right, there is a blue with an orange striped wire in there that you hook into for either the headlights, or the parking lights, I cannot remember the other one though. To find the other just look in the haynes or chilton's manual's wiring diagram and you can use that to figure the other one out. I am at work right now and don't have my book with me at the moment.

Hoppy...

Back